Nursing calories???

Options
Hi! I was wondering if I need extra calories while nursing? A little back histoy. I started mfp July 5th,2013. By Sept 5th, 2013 I had lost 34lbs (from 249-215) Then sept 29th, I found out I was pregnant. He was born June 4th, 2014. :D (yes just 3days old!) Nursing is going really well! I havent weighed myself after having him, but before I had him (same week) I was 255. He was 7lbs 8oz, so for now Im just saying I weigh 245. My goal right now (until recovered- so about 6weeks) is to lose a pound a week, but Im mostly sedentry due to recovery. Anyways, do I need extra calories when nursing? Its going great and I dont want to negatively effect my milk supply. If so about how many extra/day? I will eventually be striving to lose about 90-100lbs by July of 2015 :) Thanks for your help!

Replies

• haffykhat
    haffykhat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! From what I read is that you should eat to hunger and avoid junk food. Eat healthy and drink plenty of water. Dnt worry about cals just yet. And once again congratulations on your little bundle.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have read the same thing, and if it works for you then great! For me, though, I just eat really badly if I don't keep track. Shortly after my daughter was born, I nearly passed out because I didn't realize I was under-eating. :( Although KellyMom recommends the "follow your body's cues" method, she also says:
    If you really want (or need) to count calories…

Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake. (See Can I diet while breastfeeding? for more information on calorie restriction).

A mother’s “baseline” need for calories (not including lactation) depends upon her activity level, weight and nutritional status. A mother who is less active, has more fat stores, and/or eats foods higher in nutritional value may need fewer calories than a mom who is more active, has fewer fat stores, and/or eats more processed foods. This link from the Children’s Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine has more information (including a handy calculator) on determining your individual caloric needs: Research helps fine-tune a woman’s true caloric needs.

An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight. Since the recommended added calories during the last two trimesters of pregnancy is 300 calories/day, an exclusively breastfeeding mother will typically need either the same amount of calories she was getting at the end of pregnancy, or up to 200 additional calories per day. That’s the equivalent of adding 1-2 healthy snacks per day.

Per Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Riordan, 2004, p. 438), “The amount of energy needed by lactating mothers continues to be debated. The lactating mother need not maintain a markedly higher caloric intake than that maintained prior to pregnancy: in most cases, 400-500 calories in excess of that which is needed to maintain the mother’s body weight is sufficient.”

The number of additional calories needed for nursing depends on:

The extent of breastfeeding:
    Is your child exclusively breastfed, mostly breastfed, or breastfed 1-2 times per day? If your nursling is only partially breastfed (for example, an older child who is getting less milk, or a younger child who is getting formula supplements), calorie requirements would be proportionally less.
    Mom’s fat reserves:
    Is your body mass index [BMI] low, high or in-between? A mom who does not have any spare fat reserves (and most of us do!) will need the greatest number of extra calories. Maternal fat stores typically provide about 200 calories per day towards lactation, so if your BMI is low (particularly if you’re considered very underweight, or BMI<19.8) you will need to get extra calories from your diet.

Personally, I try to net 1900 calories per day (which is 500 more than I would if I weren't breastfeeding.)
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!! I think 1900 would be good for me, also. I like to keep track of what I eat also, because if I dont hold myself accountable, its easier for me to eat junk. Lol. :D
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water and healthy foods. I am nursing atm and aiming for around 1800 or 1900.