Decadent Chocolate Mousse... 150 kcal!!

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a better substitute, because the first two ingredients is sugar:

Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.

At the end of the day, I don't know how many of us want to live a life of zero sugar. Sugar itself is not evil... it's not stalking you or waiting in the bushes. All things in moderation. If you can use an ingredient that has sugar, but not copious amounts and it fits in your calorie ranges and macros, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

I agree with you in that sugar is not evil, which makes me even wonder more why you made a " decadent " dessert with fake sugar..... the fake cream would be enough I should think. .Why not use unrefined sugar like for example moscovado, because at least it has some nutrition.

Muscovado sugar has 11 calories/ 4 grams (approx. 1 tsp). it is nutritionally richer than other brown sugars or refined sugar, and retains most of the natural minerals inherent in sugarcane juice,.

Mineral content of muscovado sugar (per 100 g):

Total mineral salts 740 mg max.
    Phosphorus (P) 3.9 mg max.
    Calcium (Ca) 85 mg max.
    Magnesium (Mg) 23 mg max.
    Potassium (K) 100 mg max.
    Iron (Fe) 1.3 mg max.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds pretty gross. I'd rather go for a non-processed version like when you combine avocado with a bit of cacao powder and honey, plus you could use stevia or similar if necessary. Full fat, but satisfying. Yes, you need to practise portion control, but you get the real flavour and true satiety.

However, I'm in Australia, we don't have the enormous array of foods that you do, and the only whipped cream substitute I've ever come across has honestly been so disgusting that the idea of it just turns my stomach. Maybe it's different where you are. I still think reducing the use of processed food type substances is a better alternative. I have been known to buy up the low fat yoghurts and use them to enjoy my calorie allocation, still I find I'm happier and healthier when I stop doing that, and instead learn to use real foods.

Do enjoy, please don't take my criticism personally, I just think it's better to learn how to use actual food to create something yummy. Check out magazines like Clean Eating for inspiration.
  • jjhintz
    jjhintz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds pretty gross. I'd rather go for a non-processed version like when you combine avocado with a bit of cacao powder and honey, plus you could use stevia or similar if necessary. Full fat, but satisfying. Yes, you need to practise portion control, but you get the real flavour and true satiety.

However, I'm in Australia, we don't have the enormous array of foods that you do, and the only whipped cream substitute I've ever come across has honestly been so disgusting that the idea of it just turns my stomach. Maybe it's different where you are. I still think reducing the use of processed food type substances is a better alternative. I have been known to buy up the low fat yoghurts and use them to enjoy my calorie allocation, still I find I'm happier and healthier when I stop doing that, and instead learn to use real foods.

Do enjoy, please don't take my criticism personally, I just think it's better to learn how to use actual food to create something yummy. Check out magazines like Clean Eating for inspiration.

OP took time out of his day to share with everyone his favorite recipe. On top of that, this is a forum is full of highly motivated, positive individuals all trying to reach a somewhat common goal. The last thing we need is negativity. Just take that into consideration in the future. tl;dr if you don't have anything nice to say.....
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Yump (yummy plus bump) - and thank you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

OP took time out of his day to share with everyone his favorite recipe. On top of that, this is a forum is full of highly motivated, positive individuals all trying to reach a somewhat common goal. The last thing we need is negativity. Just take that into consideration in the future. tl;dr if you don't have anything nice to say.....

I have been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to figure out a way to say that to the above post...and still be nice. I couldn't come up with one that would be nice...and still get my point across.

My thought was...even in the recipe section...

Even though I am not a dream/cool whip kind of girl...I still thought it was interesting. I love when people get creative with food.
  • spersephone
    Options
    Ok - just to clarify my situation - I thought it sounded great. Then I read it, and realised that it was no way my sort of thing. I felt as though I had a right to make my point about it, but to try to do it without being too nasty.

I have read thousands of horribly negative posts over my life as a forum member (not just this one), and thought I wasn't too negative. Still, it's good to balance out opinions.

I took the time to read it, think about it, and decide my opinion. I didn't realise that because I didn't agree, I had no right to reply.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I wonder if there is a better substitute, because the first two ingredients is sugar:

Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.

At the end of the day, I don't know how many of us want to live a life of zero sugar. Sugar itself is not evil... it's not stalking you or waiting in the bushes. All things in moderation. If you can use an ingredient that has sugar, but not copious amounts and it fits in your calorie ranges and macros, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

^^^this... I am diabetic and no I cant live a sugar free existence.. all it makes me want to do is over indulge which is much worse than enjoying a some sugar from time to time.. its all about portion control and making sure that whatever you indulging in is something so yummy that you feel its worth it.. and no thats not just my opinion, its what my dr has told me... with that being said... I am deff making this and will enjoy every last spoonful with a smile on my face!!!

love,
    A True Chocolate Addict
  • spersephone
    Options
    Just came across the other thread with a great recipe for something more my style. I apologise for offending anyone here, as I clearly stated that was never my intention.

We must all be open to learning more about what you can do with food though, be open to suggestions for making it better for you. That's how you're going to be able to keep up this lifestyle change for life.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Just came across the other thread with a great recipe for something more my style. I apologise for offending anyone here, as I clearly stated that was never my intention.

We must all be open to learning more about what you can do with food though, be open to suggestions for making it better for you. That's how you're going to be able to keep up this lifestyle change for life.
    Well, aren't you smug?
  • spersephone
    Options
    I am a person who has struggled with their weight, managed successfully to keep it off for several years, got lazy, put a bit back on, and realise what lessons I learned, and that I need to continue learning from, to get back where I want to be.

Not smug. Realistic. And apparently, I shouldn't dare to have an opinion.

From MFP's own guidelines:
    You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

Never did I do this, but some people here are treading dangerously close to it now.

Edit:
    I'm not going to continue posting in this thread, as it's just going to turn into a slanging match. I've made the point I wished to.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I am a person who has struggled with their weight, managed successfully to keep it off for several years, got lazy, put a bit back on, and realise what lessons I learned, and that I need to continue learning from, to get back where I want to be.

Not smug. Realistic. And apparently, I shouldn't dare to have an opinion.

From MFP's own guidelines:
    You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

Never did I do this, but some people here are treading dangerously close to it now.
    Who's attacking you?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    How you doin???? Well, I am your first critic who tried this. If I wasn't happily married, I would park on your door step. This is wonderful. Rich, creamy, and just yummy.. My husband tried to eat part of mine. Perfection in a bowl. Thanks so much...
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Dream Whip is just a replacement for whipping cream. Make chocolate whipping cream and sweeten with whatever you like, to taste? I'd go with honey probably.

2 Cups of whipped cream is roughly 850 calories... 2 cups of dream whip is 160 calories...

2 Cups of Cool Whip Lite are 800 calories..

This is a good note; ingredient substitutions can greatly affect the calorie and macronutrient content of a dish and you should always recalculate them after alterations. I apologize for not including that information in my reply to the other poster; it slipped my mind since I don't eat either Dream Whip or whipping cream on a regular basis. Thanks for fleshing out my answer. :)
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I made it!! It is yum!! I had to double the recipe, because my step daughter was coming over and I didn't want to be all evil stepmom and not have a dish of it for her. I split them up into three cups so its more like 200 cals per glass. I like it a lot, but after two bites, I put mine in the freezer to see how it is frozen. If its good, this will work well as a pie, or in between graham crackers and frozen.
    photo3_zps8352a37f.jpg
    Never tried Dream Whip before. Its pretty tasty. I wonder if almond milk would work with it? I got lactose free milk, but even that will bother my husbands stomach some. Almond milk has no side effects for him.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

There is a recipe out there for Avocado Chocolate Mousse that you might like to try, it uses Agave Syrup but you could use artificial sweetener if you prefer a sugar free version. Google it :)
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    To my Australian friend... No offense was taken by me. To each their own. I know Vegemite makes me sick!

To others.., in all my recipes I will list something like "Splenda or other sugar alternative." Bottom line is, many alternatives are interchangeable and all of these recipes can be played with. My hope is to simply provide the groundwork for foods that can be built upon, improved, altered, etc.

I'm glad those that have tried it are enjoying it. I'd love hear hear how the frozen version came out. I have an ice cream machine... I may add a touch more milk and put it in there to see what happens.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Bump!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Bump.

It's been a while since I've tried to make a lightened up chocolate dessert. The chocolate scrambled egg "mug cake" was... unfortunate.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Its great frozen!! This will work well with a graham pie shell or just graham crackers.
    Bump.

It's been a while since I've tried to make a lightened up chocolate dessert. The chocolate scrambled egg "mug cake" was... unfortunate.
    You can make a mug cake by mixing a Angel food cake mix with any other cake flavor you want and than add 1/3 cup of the mix and 2 tbsp of water, mix and microwave for 1 minute. Never heard of a scrambled egg mug cake.