weigh daily or weekly?

Options
What's more motivating for you? Daily or weekly weigh ins?

Replies

• hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Daily! Keeps me on track.
  • mousetrousers
    mousetrousers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weekly.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I only log it if the weight has gone down, or if it's been more than a week. But I don't panic or get frustrated when the numbers go up. That's a problem for some people, though, and those people should only weigh once a week or even less.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Daily. That way I can chart the ups and downs and overall trends.
  • tanyamartha
    Options
    Well I guess it good to weigh weekly... Because...it helps to show the positive effects of your diet plans and workout..If you weigh daily then you are not surprised with the results .meanwhile you kept on track of daily basis.. :):)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know about motivating, but I've always found it more useful to weigh in daily, and to use that data to observe the overall trend. It really helped me to understand how and why my weight fluctuates. Going up or down a pound or two overnight doesn't necessarily changes in bodyfat, but when you look at the weekly or monthly trend, you can see what's happening. I found weekly weighing less useful because I'd never know if I was seeing an upwards or downwards fluctuation - an anomaly due to water retention or dehydration etc.

In the end, I don't think it matters too much, as long as you understand that the scale doesn't tell the whole story and that it's useful to have other ways of measuring progress (tape measure, photos, fit of clothes etc).
  • cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Weekly!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I think that some people can get emotionally attached to the numbers (good or bad) in which case maybe weekly is better.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Daily. I like curvy graphs, not jagged ones!
  • mevvies
    mevvies Posts: 21
    Options
    I weight daily usually, helps me stay on track, and I have been able to notice and change a few things in my diet.

I do not get hung up on the numbers, if it goes up slightly I go back to look at what I did yesterday and see if I did anything wrong, (like not drink enough water) and change it accordingly.
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I calculate a smoothed trend. I log on MFP weekly.
  • ejane24
    ejane24 Posts: 7
    Options
    Weekly. I used to weigh myself daily and it drove me crazy, I began obsessing with making sure that the next day the number on the scale will be lower than the previous day, but if you're a person who understands that weight can fluctuate even up to about 5 lbs, then daily weigh in's are a good tool for you to use to motivate you!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Too many variables (water weight fluctuations, weight of undigested food, etc.) to want to see daily numbers.
  • ik70
    ik70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily but log weekly. Usually if I am within calorie limits I do lose a pound in a week so I try to log in weekly.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit random with my weigh ins, I do mine every now and again, or when i need a bit of motivation.

If i over eat, i like to wait a bit before weighing in and if i eat really well i also like to wait so i can see a nice progress on the scales :)
  • laurenadams95
    Options
    I prefer daily, it keeps me on the right path because I find if I have a really bad day and overeat seeing the results of it on the scales the next morning encourages me to have a better day. However I do understand that some people prefer to do it weekly because its not always great to fixate on what it says on the scales. I think its a personal thing :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    daily. I only log my weight on MFP once a week (ish) - up, down, or the same - but I weigh in and log in an iphone app called Monitor Your Weight on a daily (or nearly daily) basis.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale yesterday for the first time. I have been weighing in weekly at my Significant Healing Center. I hopped on and was at the same weight I was there last Tuesday. I'm hoping that by tomorrow something has dropped off, because I feel I'm doing fairly well and nothing dropped off last week. I'm only going to log on here weekly for the results of any loss/gain. But I may start hopping on daily.
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do weekly but I'm so crazy I need to do daily and it's beginning to drive me crazy. The plus side it keeps me on track I think!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Daily.....I like numbers and patterns so this has helped me understand my bodies fluctuations. If someone has an emotional reaction to increases in weight than this may not be ideal for them. I think it is interesting and can now guess where in my range I am after certain things like a great workout. I also normally know when a new low is coming.