Popcorn! I love it! How bad is it for me?

Options
essa78
essa78 Posts: 44 Member
I make popcorn for a snack. Coconut oil and kernels in a pot, on the stove. Melty butter, salt and fresh cracked black pepper to garnish. It's delish, and I love it, but how bad is it for my diet? I'm just starting out, I weigh 170, I'm trying to lose 40 lbs. I eat it twice a week, and I just put it into the database and *whoa, baby* it's a serious calorie wallop! Well, it's probably the butter...

How bad is popcorn health wise? Are there benefits to chowing down on popcorn rather than say, chili cheese Fritos? Are there good popcorn alternatives out there? Better, less caloric butters?

I was on a four day streak, and I blew it for a bowl of popcorn. I knew the numbers before hand. I really thought that bowl of calories through. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way for me to eat my popcorn with out all the fuss? Or is it just all in my head?

Replies

• Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This might help http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=23_ways_to_top_your_popcorn_for_under_150_calories

A few interesting ways to eat your popcorn under 150 calories.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's always in your head
    I like my popcorn - it's not "bad" - but if the calories are too high for your comfort then consider lower calorie alternatives.
    I personally HATE fake butter spray stuff. I eat real butter/olive oil/coconut oil on my popcorn.

I put 1/4 C popcorn kernels in brown lunch sack (nothing else goes in), roll down top of bag, microwave 2 mins (YMMV for time a bit)
    Shake it like mad while spraying olive oil on it (have some butter flavor olive oil I got as a gift - not big on "butter flavor" stuff but it's pretty tasty). I use a misto sprayer - 1 second spray = 1/4 tsp oil. I spray as long as my calories will allow - I just prelog it since I eat it at the end of the day anyway and see how much oil I can afford. Then I season - vinegar/salt powder, creole seasoning, or just salt/pepper.

I can't live without my late night popcorn fix - or at least some days I think I can't.

Don't cut out foods that are important to you or are your favorite things - adapt them some if you must - but don't eliminate them. Limit them or fit them in or adapt them to fit.

Please don't divide your foods by good/bad. There's different macros/calories - but it's all good within reason.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM, eat it.

log the popcorn first and then plan the rest of the day round it.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is actually really healthy, calorie wise. One cup (popped) has about 31 calories. This obviously goes up with the amount of oil you use to pop it in, and things you put on top. You could maybe swap the butter for different flavours (there's a million fun recipes online! Try http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=23_ways_to_top_your_popcorn_for_under_150_calories for recipes under 150 calories)

You could also just try and cut down on the amount of oil and butter used.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's always in your head
    I like my popcorn - it's not "bad" - but if the calories are too high for your comfort then consider lower calorie alternatives.
    I personally HATE fake butter spray stuff. I eat real butter/olive oil/coconut oil on my popcorn.

I put 1/4 C popcorn kernels in brown lunch sack (nothing else goes in), roll down top of bag, microwave 2 mins (YMMV for time a bit)
    Shake it like mad while spraying olive oil on it (have some butter flavor olive oil I got as a gift - not big on "butter flavor" stuff but it's pretty tasty). I use a misto sprayer - 1 second spray = 1/4 tsp oil. I spray as long as my calories will allow - I just prelog it since I eat it at the end of the day anyway and see how much oil I can afford. Then I season - vinegar/salt powder, creole seasoning, or just salt/pepper.

I can't live without my late night popcorn fix - or at least some days I think I can't.

Don't cut out foods that are important to you or are your favorite things - adapt them some if you must - but don't eliminate them. Limit them or fit them in or adapt them to fit.

Please don't divide your foods by good/bad. There's different macros/calories - but it's all good within reason.

This is how I make mine, too. So good!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods because that will lead to binges and self sabotage. Instead eat in moderation, balance your macros and stay within your calorie budget.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is like white potatoes. They get a bad rap because of all the extras we put on them but in and of themselves, are quite good for you. I was raised eating kettle cooked popcorn (oil, kernels, a little salt) so you just the the little oily flavor from what was deposited on the kernels while cooking - and as far as I'm concerned, that's the perfect way to have them.

Mostly though, I just buy those 100 cal packs of light butter microwave popcorn. Pop it in the microwave for 1-2 min, open the bag and chow down mindlessly. No worries about going overboard with your snacking calories.

But ultimately, as others said, if it fits your calories, no worries. Only you can decide if it's worth it.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is wonderfully delicious. If you want to eat it, then you just need to plan for the calories.

Have you tried it drizzled with chocolate? Yum!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I enjoy popcorn several times per week. I always air-pop it. You can get an air-popper at most stores (Meijer, Wal-Mart, Target) for around $20. Best investment EVER. I use a small amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil spray on it and sprinkle on Morton brand seasoned salt (it has no added sugar like Lawry's does).

DEEEEE-VINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I want to, I can have a whole large popcorn bowl (10 cups) for about 300 calories.
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make my popcorn a healthy snack, with coconut oil, the least amount of salt possible and some nutritional yeast flakes. Soooo yummy!
  • ladyofnokomis
    ladyofnokomis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With my popcorn, I sprinkle Fresh Baked Coconut(home made), Flax, and Hershey Chocolate Light.
  • ladyofnokomis
    ladyofnokomis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip. I am going to have to check on that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There's always room for popcorn.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I make my popcorn a healthy snack, with coconut oil, the least amount of salt possible and some nutritional yeast flakes. Soooo yummy!

Oh, I forgot about the yummy nutritional yeast (yeah, I'm weird--but it IS good on potatoes and popcorn). I've been doing the 100 cal micro bags, just so I can "mindlessly" snack, since it's premeasured, but tastes so yuck.

Hmm, I've got to get some paper lunch sacks, "real" kernels, and some yeast flakes. Tasty (IMHO, YMMV) microwave popcorn made my way. Thanks for the tips, people :flowerforyou: !

ETA: Oh, and IIFYM. As another said, pre-log it, so there's "always" room for popcorn. YUM
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is okay for you, it's fewer calories than chips. I'm thinking since you're popping it in oil, can you just try to add your spices while that oil is still warm (after popping) and avoid putting butter on it to reduce the calories? Otherwise, just make sure to measure how much oil and butter you're using and include it all in your tracker. Butter has trans fats, which should be limited (pretty hard to get rid of those completely from your diet). Keep in mind that nothing is really good or bad. You need to eat everything in moderation, right? if you were to have 10 servings of fruit a day, that probably wouldn't be good for you technically either.
  • essa78
    essa78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    IIFYM, eat it.

log the popcorn first and then plan the rest of the day round it.

Brilliant!! this is the way I'll do it, thanks for the tip :)
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is okay for you, it's fewer calories than chips. I'm thinking since you're popping it in oil, can you just try to add your spices while that oil is still warm (after popping) and avoid putting butter on it to reduce the calories? Otherwise, just make sure to measure how much oil and butter you're using and include it all in your tracker. Butter has trans fats, which should be limited (pretty hard to get rid of those completely from your diet). Keep in mind that nothing is really good or bad. You need to eat everything in moderation, right? if you were to have 10 servings of fruit a day, that probably wouldn't be good for you technically either.

NOT BUTTER! There is a little research into determining if naturally occurring trans fats are healthier than created trans fats (crosses fingers). I still prefer my butter. But on my popcorn it's usually olive oil - but butter, butter always for my toast if I want it buttered. Real butter too - not that "butter like substance" - butter. Cause butter.

10 servings of fruit - somewhere somebody believes that is the right amount - but I'd have to live in a toilet from that much fruit! Can I butter the fruit? (joking, sit down people - only if the fruit is hot)