Do changes start happening faster after a certain point?

Options
I didn't know which thread to post this in so I hope this is a good choice. Also, while I am sure this has been covered, I did spend some time searching (here and on Google) and didn't find what I was looking for. Most likely that was because I didn't know what to type into the search and I just kept getting results about how long it takes to see results.

Anyway, to my question:

I have lost 24 pounds (almost to 10% of my starting weight which is when I heard most people start seeing seeing a lot of results) and I FINALLY lost about an inch and a half on my hips. I had lost quite a few inches on my stomach but today when I measured, I had lost a little off everywhere but my neck. Most places were more like 1/4 to 1/2 a inch. My question is, once you get to that point that you start seeing results, do they come faster or is it entirely possible if not probable that it will me another two months before I see any more changes even if I keep up like I have? In my mind I am thinking that it will start to show faster because they said that a lot of the weight you lose at first is fat that is surrounding your organs and not you "seeable" fat. I hope this makes sense but I just want to know because understand what is happening makes it so much easier for me to deal with what I might otherwise consider "failure". And if you all can tell me that it will start showing faster (I am well aware of plateaus and stuff) than that will just make my day :)

Either way, in the end I won't give up because I am doing this for me this time and no matter how long it takes, I will get there!!

Thanks for your time and have a good day :)

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but it's an interesting question. In for the comments.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the "initial" fat coming more from the fat around your organs. However, most of the initial weight loss is either water and an emptier stomach - that in itself can account for 5+ lbs shifted back and forth between a "Good day" and a "Bad day" in a skinny person, I reckon it's more for someone with more to lose.

Now, a lost pound does get more visible the closer you get to your goal, because you're talking "volume" of your body. One pound won't show much one someone voluminous, but it will make a huge difference in someone skinny.

Then there are certain points where few pounds are very noticeable because your body shape changes, you can start seeing the shape of your frame (collar bones, hip bones), your thighs don't "rub" anymore, your belly folds disappear, etc. I personally saw a huge difference by shifting just a couple of pounds, while the first 15 didn't do "anything" with the way I perceived myself, despite having lost a fair amount of inches.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I might not be correct about that but I have read a lot of things about it being visceral fat that you lose first which is why some people (who have a lot of it) don't see much change even with larger weight losses. Of course, I am sure there are other factors too but that is just something that had stuck with me. I did notice today that I have lost "volume" in certain places that we won't mention, lol. And I was losing in my stomach even if I can't see it but the tape measurer tells me no lies! I am just hoping that now that I have "cracked" these other areas that have not moved in the last two months that it will start going quicker. Oh what I would give your thighs that didn't rub together, lol.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I didn't know which thread to post this in so I hope this is a good choice. Also, while I am sure this has been covered, I did spend some time searching (here and on Google) and didn't find what I was looking for. Most likely that was because I didn't know what to type into the search and I just kept getting results about how long it takes to see results.

Anyway, to my question:

I have lost 24 pounds (almost to 10% of my starting weight which is when I heard most people start seeing seeing a lot of results) and I FINALLY lost about an inch and a half on my hips. I had lost quite a few inches on my stomach but today when I measured, I had lost a little off everywhere but my neck. Most places were more like 1/4 to 1/2 a inch. My question is, once you get to that point that you start seeing results, do they come faster or is it entirely possible if not probable that it will me another two months before I see any more changes even if I keep up like I have? In my mind I am thinking that it will start to show faster because they said that a lot of the weight you lose at first is fat that is surrounding your organs and not you "seeable" fat. I hope this
    makes sense but I just want to know because understand what is happening makes it so much easier for me to deal with what I might otherwise consider "failure". And if you all can tell me that it will start showing faster (I am well aware of plateaus and stuff) than that will just make my day :)

Either way, in the end I won't give up because I am doing this for me this time and no matter how long it takes, I will get there

Thanks for your time and have a good day :)

No is correct instead...if you exercise and you also diet you have to understand that your muscles will become visible slowly buening fat to begin from your core so around your organs and even in, is a process that takes time, i understand...to me tohave visible abs a little took 6 months of diet and hard workouts like jillian michael or Insanity so it's right fat begin to melt from the inside the no visible points...
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I might not be correct about that but I have read a lot of things about it being visceral fat that you lose first which is why some people (who have a lot of it) don't see much change even with larger weight losses. Of course, I am sure there are other factors too but that is just something that had stuck with me. I did notice today that I have lost "volume" in certain places that we won't mention, lol. And I was losing in my stomach even if I can't see it but the tape measurer tells me no lies! I am just hoping that now that I have "cracked" these other areas that have not moved in the last two months that it will start going quicker. Oh what I would give your thighs that didn't rub together, lol.

I used to measure consistently, and the loss in inches was definitely not linear nor uniform. The first 10 pounds came off straight off my chest (and a bit from my waist), with no changes on my heavy thighs and bottom. But then, then next 10 came off from that area and voila, thigh gap:) but my waist was stubbornly not following suit. 5 lbs later, those belly folds when I was sitting down just vanished overnight, and I could see abs! The process is a bit messy, you haven't mentioned it but I know I personally got very disappointed by the disproportionate look I had during those transitions. It all evens out in the end, and it looks much, much more visible once your frame and muscles starts defining your shape and size, instead of your well... extra padding:)

Edit: And I'll second Insanity (or anything, really). Gaining or at least maintaining muscle mass is a big factor into reshaping your body.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not really wanting to know when I am going to have a toned body, I know that will take a long time. I am just wondering if things are going to start speeding up now. It's not really that important more out of curiosity.

I could not handle Insanity at this point :( I seen my husband, who is in much better shape than me, try and I know it is far beyond what I am capable of at this point. I do do weights every other day at the gym and have started doing push ups. The are from the knee but I am still super proud because I have never been able to do one at all before. I plan on starting 30 Day Shred on the 1st of July. I have tried before but I was too out of shape. I have come a long way since then. I know it will still be hard but I think it will be manageable this time.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know this doesn't really answer your question but I've heard weight loss described as a roll of paper towels. When you are heavier, like a full roll, if you take 5 sheets off the paper towel it's much less noticeable on the roll than if the roll is almost gone and you were to take 5 sheets off, if that makes any sense lol.

however that doesn't take into account the fact that as you are closer to goal you will be losing weight slower. So my post really isn't helpful anyway.... >.<
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    From your ticker it looks like you started close to where I did. I was 285 when I started and I didn't start seeing noticeable differences until I lost about 50 lbs. The only time I started seeing quicker body changes was when I started heavy lifting.

Not sure this answers your question