Broken toe!?

Options
How long does a broken toe take to heal? I broke the two small toes on my left foot 14 days ago. It felt like it was getting better and then I wore tennis shoes all day on saturday and the next day my toes were hurting again. This is really cramping my workouts. Of course I can workout my upper body, but what can I do for cardio? Hop on one leg? ;) LOL I'm just really frustrated. I have been very good about keepin my eating in check though and maybe that will have to be enough till I can do some cardio again. :)

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I broke my little toe back in the summer and it took over a month for it to really heal. Sorry!
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but I would give it a good 6 weeks to heal....try just lifting weights in the mean time. Keep your toes tapped up really tight so they don't move which could slow the healing. Good luck!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that makes plates, screws, pins, etc. for fracture fixation. A bone that is well-stabilized will take about 6 weeks to fully heal. Toes typically are not stabilized, so they may take a few weeks longer. Be careful, and keep off it as much as you can. If you go to a gym, maybe they have an arm-bike. I had to use one of those when I was in Physical Therapy, and it was HARD. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I think most bones take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to heal, then you'll be able to slowly go back to your normal routine.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but would you be able to do a stationary bike?

Hope you feel better soon. Do you have any kind of surgical shoe or boot to wear? I had a stress fracture in my metatarsal years ago, and wearing a flat, rigid surgical shoe helped a lot. I didn't think it would, but it did.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle a yr ago and I was out for a good 6-8 wks. I'm not sure how long your toes will take to heal but I would do workouts that may not put a strain or direct pressure on your foot. Maybe using an exercise bike for cardio and yoga (modified) for a full body workout. This too shall pass is what I always say. Keep pushing forward to your goals.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I strained a tendon in my right leg last week, which means I'm forbidden from any kind of skiing or snow shoeing. Which wouldn't be a big deal, because I can still run, except that we're in the middle of a huge blizzard! So no running for me until everyone in town gets out and shovels their sidewalks. Sure, I can do my Wii Fit, but it's just not the same feeling as a good hard run! It's annoying and frustrating and makes me angry. Bleh.

But we just have to remind ourselves that injuries heal if we let them. Chin up, we'll be back to kicking *kitten* in no time!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I broke my big toe playing soccer a couple of years ago and it took a couple of months to heal. Part of the problem though was that it was right before Christmas so I was wearing heals a ton to Christmas parties! Try to stay off of it as much as possible and keep it elevated whenever possible. I actually kept an old box under my desk to rest my foot on during the day and that really helped. Hope it feels better soon!
  • hammod
    hammod Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I do have three toes taped together and I tend to walk on my heel to keep pressure off of it. I was hearing all different time lines on healing and one person told me they broke their toe 6 months ago and still have pain. I think I may just stick with upper body/core work for now. mabe do some squats while on my heels. :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My 11 yo broke his toe and ran a 10K 3 weeks later. I do know that it is still tender but hasn't effected his physical activity. He now broke his finger last week, so the toe is presently hurting less :) Best of Luck.