Am I eating enough??

Options
Hi everyone! I am finding it very hard to eat the amount of calories I am supposed to in a day. It says I need to eat around 1800 to lose weight but I usually can't eat more than about 1200. I eat a lot of low carb/low calorie foods. After working out, my net caloric amount is usually around 500 (except today was much lower).

Does this mean I need to try and force myself to eat more?? I eat enough to feel full, I never feel like I'm starving or anything!

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more. Add butter, oil, avocado or cheese to your food.

Insta 500-600 calories.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more. Add butter, oil, avocado or cheese to your food.

Insta 500-600 calories.

Completely agree. Add nuts as well, they are great!
  • fitnessregan
    fitnessregan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will definitely add more fats tomorrow!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything (and I really do mean EVERYTHING - fruit, veg, drinks)?
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more. In the long-run it is better for your body to get used to running on more calories than less.

Add high calorie good nutritious foods like the others have suggested, avocado, nuts, coconut, humus, things like that. Plus think about adding a protein shake in here or there.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    No offence intended, but it's unlikely you got to a point where you need to lose some weight by netting 500 calories a day.

How accurately are you logging? Are you weighing/measuring everything? Logging every bite? Not overestimating your exercise burn?

If you really are struggling to eat enough calories you need to up calorie dense foods and stop eating any of the 'diet' foods - i.e. normal meat cuts not lean, full fat cheese, yogurt and milk, avocados and nuts.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    No offence intended, but it's unlikely you got to a point where you need to lose some weight by netting 500 calories a day.

I just want to point out that these are two very different mindsets. In one, you don't care what you're eating and find yourself eating more calorie-dense foods like macaroni and cheese or pizza and garlic knots. It's very easy to go over the calories there. However, you're comparing that to OP's current state of mind where they're correcting their food choices. They're now eating low calorie and low carb foods as they're changing their norm. It's a lot easier to get full from a big leafy salad or other voluminous foods, especially when you're paying close attention to how your body feels and eating to the point of satisfaction, not just before you pop. That, and your stomach shrinks a bit after training it to not eat as much.

I think it's unfair to say something so flippant, even if you say there is no offense intended.
  • fitnessregan
    Options
    Yes I only drink water and I rarely eat fruit due to the high carb counts they contain.
  • fitnessregan
    Options
    I didn't realize my calorie were so low because I felt full. I don't really eat "diet" foods. I eat chicken, steak, eggs, and vegetables. I log everything and I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.
  • fitnessregan
    Options
    I'm looking for a protein shake mix beside whey. I heard it was not that good for weight loss. Do you have any suggestions??
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Whey is perfectly fine for weight loss, if it fits your calories, have it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Assuming your logging and exercise burns are accurate, you're netting about 1300 calories per day below what MFP set for you based on your weight loss goals. Asking if you're eating enough flies in the face of common sense as the answer is an obvious no ... especially for a teenager.

More helpful guidance requires you opening your diary so people can see what you really eat, what your exercise logs show to evaluate your burns, etc.
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    Maybe you can add a protein shake for some extra calories.
    Hi everyone! I am finding it very hard to eat the amount of calories I am supposed to in a day. It says I need to eat around 1800 to lose weight but I usually can't eat more than about 1200. I eat a lot of low carb/low calorie foods. After working out, my net caloric amount is usually around 500 (except today was much lower).

Does this mean I need to try and force myself to eat more?? I eat enough to feel full, I never feel like I'm starving or anything!