Harder to cut after maintaining for a while?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been more or less maintaining for a couple months, and I tried to cut a bit again so I can finally lose my last 3 pounds, and I find it very hard. I tried to cut just 100 calories, but I just couldn't do it more than one day (I already eat a deficit though, but eat a bit over TDEE 1-2 times a week, and did manage not to go over for 5 days until we went to NYC).

Has anyone else noticed this? I used to eat 1600 and just shudder at the thought of going that low again. I mean, not going over for a month is probably very doable (after my vacations), but cutting more... nope.

Replies

• River83
    River83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is hard but I give myself two days of Lee way. I allow myself two days of going over. Because of this the other days some times I am under my calorie goal and some times I'm right on the mark. It actually made me go lower on my weight goal. I wanted to hit 100 pounds I hit 98. Keep trying I'm sure you'll nail it.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel you are absolutely right .It is always very hard to lose those last couple of pounds. But you keep trying and you will get to your goal.Eating less calories may help you lose weight initially but you may also start to feel low on energy.Therefore try and lose weight by exercising rather than cutting on calories.Eat healthy,exercise more and stay fit.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! If I eat less than 2000 calories per day I am not fun to be around and super hungry. I used to eat 500-700 cals less when I was in weight loss mode. The thought of going back to a deficit seems like pure torture. I'm doing a slow body recomp now, and although I'd like to cut to lose the lingering fat around my belly I just cant. I need a break and I don't think my body wants to. I think I also just need a mental break from losing weight and I'm pretty happy where I am now.

I would say, evaluate your goals and see if it's worth it for you. Many people lose a few extra lbs in maintenance or at least drop bf %.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Definitely. You get used to the higher intake. One thing I've learnt is that hunger is normal while dieting. It is going to happen and managing food choices is vital to minimize that. So for me, (as a flexible dieter) means that although I know I can in pop tarts or whatever, I also no they provide SFA satiety for me and as such are not worth the calories. I still include some "junk" type foods but they are also still quite filling.

I look back at my logs from a few years ago where I was eating 2000/day and wonder how I did it! Now on 2500 and that is tough enough.
  • CharlieRoberts36
    Options
    Loosing weight is not a easy task at all!
    You really have to work hard!
    My mother have loose her weight by strictly limiting her self to calories free diet!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is 3lbs going to make that much difference?
  • Francl27
    Options

Yeah, at this point there's just one roll I want to get rid of. Although of course it's probably not where I'll lose it anyway :sad:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yeah, at this point there's just one roll I want to get rid of. Although of course it's probably not where I'll lose it anyway :sad:

its not really 3lb you need to lose, its 1-2% of bodyfat... ditch the scales and work on reducing bodyfat.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    When I shifted to maintenance for a while, the first couple of months I was super hungry, even though it was only a couple of hundred calories difference from when I was cutting. It did go away eventually. I'm thinking it was a reset of hunger hormones and appetite.

If you find cutting hard now, maybe wait another month and see if you normalize the way I did. Then cutting doesn't seem like such a chore. If you don't want to wait, Maybe try adding some exercise every day rather than eating less. Should be a good way to lose just a couple of pounds.
  • b_anik
    b_anik Posts: 4
    Options
    Same here. Last year I've lost about 20 kg (44 lbs), but since january I am just a little bit under maintenance. In the last 6 months I've lost about 3 kg (7 lbs) and cm-s from my waist and belly. The problem is I still has 4-5 kg (10 lbs) to go and with this speed it feels like I'll never get there.... I was maintaning at 1700-1800 kcal and dieting at 1200-1300 kcal. But I can't go back to 1200-1300 kcal, it feels way too low now. So my solution is to eat at 1500 kcal (right between maintanance and my old diet). I started some weeks ago, and it looks like I'm loosing again.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    You get used to it again. I cut my intake goal when my weight seemed to be creeping up after I pulled a muscle and sidelined myself. For weeks, I couldn't hit that target to save my life. Then I looked closer at my diary and realized I'd gotten used to putting about 20-25% of my calories (and sometimes more like 40-50%) into unnecessary snacks; e.g., a couple of cookies from Panera Bread and ice cream, later followed by something salty and crunchy, all in the same day. Once I cut back on those and replaced some of them with foods that met more of my macro/micro needs, it became easier to hit the calorie target again.

We're creatures of habit.
    It's really hard to just drop a habit.
    It's a lot easier to replace one habit with another.
  • Francl27
    Options

its not really 3lb you need to lose, its 1-2% of bodyfat... ditch the scales and work on reducing bodyfat.

I have been but it doesn't seem to be working, although I'll start a new exercise regimen soon...
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What's your activity level like? Can you add something like another 5000-7500 steps in your day -- especially now that it's summer? A couple extra 15 minute walks each day, as a start? If you don't think you can cut your calories successfully, you're only choice is to increase activity to create the deficit. How else can you move more that you eat by 3000+/- calories a week to lose 1/2 pound?
  • Francl27
    Options
    I walk a lot... between 3 and 6 miles a day, plus often 20-30 minutes on the stationary bike at 14 mph (that burns only about 90 calories though). Sometimes I run some of those miles too. Summer actually makes it harder though, with the heat and humidity, and the kids being home so I can't walk outside alone, but I'll go to the gym every day and get one hour on the treadmill... plus that exercise program I want to start when I come back from my vacations (PiYo). And I lift weights 20 minutes every other day.

So yeah, I can't really exercise more, plus I haven't had a real period in 3 months as it is, and didn't lose any weight even though I had a 4000 deficit last month. But we'll see after my vacations... it's going to be hot and humid and a lot of driving so who knows how much exercise I'm actually going to get. So I'll definitely have to try to at least stay under my goal every day when I come back...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. It's easier if you keep your calories stable and up your exercise.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Not really, I just have to more carefully choose what I want to eat. The first month or two/first 10 lbs of cutting is easy for me. It is just after that when I start getting tired of it that it gets hard. Because...ice cream.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Not really, I just have to more carefully choose what I want to eat. The first month or two/first 10 lbs of cutting is easy for me. It is just after that when I start getting tired of it that it gets hard. Because...ice cream.

Exactly. It was very easy for me for 10 months. Then.. not so much! But I guess there are good and bad days.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I've tried to resolve it by only cutting back calories 4 days a week and go for a weekly goal. Those last five pounds are hard to re-lose.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I have been but it doesn't seem to be working, although I'll start a new exercise regimen soon...

Well, the only regimen that will ask the body to make improvements, and if eating at maintenance will then cause fat burn - is lifting - progressively heavy lifting.

And especially when done at maintenance level eating (compared to deficit), you'll get more improvement.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I lift 'heavy'. I mean, I fail by 8 reps (and typically have to take the weights down for the last set), so it's definitely heavy for me... I haven't been able to increase my weights for a while either. That's why I sorta assume I'm still eating at a deficit too.