Polar ft4 or ft7?

Options
Hi All,
I want to get myself Polar heart monitor. I was going to buy FT7 but every fitness person that I follow on instagram or any other social media uses FT4. I wonder if any of you use ether of those and can tell me if its worth to spend extra on FT7?

Thank you I really appreciate your help.

Margaret

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I went for the 4 in the end, the 7 didn't seem worth it for the extra money.
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally have the f4 (in pink! lol) and I think its really great! Tracks my calories burned and lets me know if I'm slacking or pushing too hard and not in the zone, the chest strap is also extremely comfortable I forget I'm wearing it, many times I've spent the day at uni with it on and forgot I have it on until I go to change at bed time lol. I actually don't have a single complaint about it.
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 brand new on Amazon for $74. Since I bought it at a decent price I decided to go with the FT7 over the FT4.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    No complaints with FT7 and recently price has been decreased for this product.
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great thank you very much!
    Does ft4 syncs with mfp?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am on my second ft4 and it is highly annoying. Very temperamental. It stops working, can't find heart rate.....

This is my last one.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I bought an ft4 a few years ago and didn't have a good experience with it. I found it hard to set up and after using a few times, it started to be hard to set to start. I don't know whether there was something wrong with the device, but I just gave up.

I just bought an ft7 and although I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm pretty happy with it. it was super easy to set up and I just use one button start the process. I haven't explored everything available, but it tracks my heart rate and calories, which is all I want. I was just a bit hesitant to try the ft4 again after my first experiience.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 purely because I preferred the look of the black/red one and can wear it as an everyday watch when not using it as a HRM.

About the only really useful extra feature of the FT7 I actually use is the ability to set upper HR limit warning (useful for my cycling).
    All the training zone stuff the FT7 gives you is nonsense really!

Think you would be better starting from what you want the watch to do (which sports/exercise) and then decide which features are useful to you.

If I was buying one now I would get one with a VO2 max setting rather than a basic one like the FT4/FT7.
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Thank you everyone !
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Do I need to buy Polar FlowLink if I want to sync it with mfp?
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at/considered the H7?
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Thank you:)

Last question: it may be bit silly but it says 30m water resistant does it mean i can swim wearing it?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The difference used to be that the battery in the FT7 could be changed by the user whereas the FT4 had to be sent back to Polar for their techs to do it. Enough complaints happened that the FT4 was changed so that the user could change the battery (but not before I had already gotten my FT7).

Of course there has probably been other improvements but that is the main reason people had to choose between the two in my opinion.
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Have you looked at/considered the H7?

I'm just looking at it now. is that what you use MrSpivey?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Do I need to buy Polar FlowLink if I want to sync it with mfp?

It won't sync to Polar if you don't buy the Flowlink. I don't know if Polar syncs to MFP. However, I don't find it a pain to manually enter in my info to MFP after my workout.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thank you:)

Last question: it may be bit silly but it says 30m water resistant does it mean i can swim wearing it?

With the watch, yes, with the chest monitor, no.

I have the FT7, had it for 4 years now and have used it hundreds of times. Works well 99% of the time. Works with all my gym equipment at the YMCA.

I also don't believe any polar watches link with MFP. Check the apps HRM section:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=heart_rate_monitors
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Thank you all!!