do i REALLY need to eat all of my 2100+ calories?

Options
I am finding it a little hard to finish all of my calories for the day, and i'm not eating back my exercise calories either (i don't count them). i'm finding i have about 200+ left at the end of the day. (i know i've only been reporting for a couple days now, but i am fairly good at guessing since i've done this before and logged longer)...

i did choose wisely the other night, instead of eating my calories in the form of a bowl of ice cream that i REALLY REALLY wanted (trying to stay clear of sugar), i had some cheese and olives....

what i'm asking is, it is REALLY true that eating fewer of your allotted calories is just as bad/detrimental as eating OVER your days worth???

Replies

• ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do try to stay close to the calories they give me but sometimes I am under too. Have you tried adjusting your goals? I felt like my calories were a little high early on and adjusting my goals fixed that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    what i'm asking is, it is REALLY true that eating fewer of your allotted calories is just as bad/detrimental as eating OVER your days worth???

On the margins, sure. but you're just overthinking it.

you're talking about a 5.3oz cup of yogurt, that's not's going to do anything to you in the grand scheme of things. Relax, cortisol increases cause fat retention. ;)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    [/quote]
    you're talking about a 5.3oz cup of yogurt, that's not's going to do anything to you in the grand scheme of things. Relax, cortisol increases cause fat retention. ;)
    [/quote]

excellent perspective, thank you!!!!
  • jaimie120
    jaimie120 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the calories are a guideline, if you are still hungry, eat, if not, don't worry :)
  • leslog86
    leslog86 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you press the "Complete this Entry" Button at bottom of that day's diary page it will give you an estimated weight loss and also it will give a warning if you aren't eating enough calories. I've noticed if you are withing about 200 or so under it wont hurt you
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    thank you everyone!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You should stay close to your calculated targets. They're there for a reason - you need them!

Things like peanut butter, olive oil, ice cream and alcohol help you complete those numbers!

I say, 200 left for my day = WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! :drinker:

ETA: spelling, derp.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You should stay close to your calculated targets. They're there for a reason - you need them!

Things like peanut butter, olive oil, ice cream and alcohol help you complete those numbers!

I say, 200 left for my day = WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! :drinker:

ETA: spelling, derp.

Me too. 200 left for the day is wine or a 1/2 cup of ice cream and half a banana. I try to get close to my goal, but a little bit under just in case I haven't measured correctly.
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options

i did choose wisely the other night, instead of eating my calories in the form of a bowl of ice cream that i REALLY REALLY wanted (trying to stay clear of sugar), i had some cheese and olives....

I'm saying it...good job and choosing something other than ice cream, that in itself is a great step. :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand what's wrong with sugar? Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to eliminate it.

Also to add, 200 calories a day is 1400 by the end of the week. On top of your current deficit, it definitely adds up.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't think 200 is a big deal -- particularly as has been said many times on these forums, we're terrible at estimating calories. (Even with weighing, though that gets us our best shot.) I think ending the day 200 shy makes for a nice cushion.

Now, as to not eating exercise calories back as well...this starts to get problematic. Because as you've read in the ever-popular http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf (read it, if you haven't), eating back at least some of your exercise calories is important. You won't get to where you're going faster, or at least you won't get there half as well.

(I'm actually one of the people who started doing much, MUCH better with her weight loss once she started being realistic about her exercise expenditure and how much she needed to eat. So take it from me: eat at least half of your exercise calories.)
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been told often, "you have to eat to lose!"
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Since it appears you have 80lbs to lose, no. Those with more pounds to lose can handle a bigger deficit without much ill effect. If you only had 20lbs to lose I'd tell you to eat them. With just a few pounds left if you run a big deficit you risk muscle loss and other negative health effects (hair loss, super low energy, etc).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Since it appears you have 80lbs to lose, no. Those with more pounds to lose can handle a bigger deficit without much ill effect. If you only had 20lbs to lose I'd tell you to eat them. With just a few pounds left if you run a big deficit you risk muscle loss and other negative health effects (hair loss, super low energy, etc).

This^
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm saying it...good job and choosing something other than ice cream, that in itself is a great step. :)

What's wrong with ice cream?
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    thank you for all the responses....

i am trying to stay away from sugar, as i have PCOS (insulin resistance is it's main feature)...

i FEEL better when i limit sugar and 'white' carbs....

i did pretty terrible over the weekend..but it could have been A LOT worse, so i'll give myself that!

i did end up eating all of my exercise calories on saturday and then some. the more i exercise, the more i want to eat! that's natural i assume, fueling the body and all.

thanks again for all the advice!
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you're eating over 1200, then it should be fine. No need to force yourself to eat.