Protein Shakes?

Options
I was told that Protein Shakes can be fattening. Is this true? I'm on a caloric deficit and I do weightlifting and I drink my protein shake while I work out

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Do you log your protein shake's calories?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Anything you eat or drink could be fattening if you're taking in more calories than you burn.
  • infamous1997
    infamous1997 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. I am still under the caloric limit because of the cardio workout I also do.
  • infamous1997
    Options
    Anything you eat or drink could be fattening if you're taking in more calories than you burn.
    I usually burn off the shake by doing some cardio. But I would feel bloated after weightlifting and cardio.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Maybe drink your shake after workout
  • dessinmaitre
    Options
    You will always gain fat if you are bulking (which I am assuming since this in the "gaining weight" section. If you want to be lean, you need to burn it afterwards or gain .5lb a week or less.
  • infamous1997
    Options
    You will always gain fat if you are bulking (which I am assuming since this in the "gaining weight" section. If you want to be lean, you need to burn it afterwards or gain .5lb a week or less.
    I thought muscles had nothing to do with fat?
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Broscience. I've had protein shakes before, after, during and even when I didn't workout and I still had no problem losing. If it fits in your calorie goals, you will have no problems. :)
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Broscience. I've had protein shakes before, after, during and even when I didn't workout and I still had no problem losing. If it fits in your calorie goals, you will have no problems. :)
    this ^
  • jcranston13
    Options
    I thought muscles had nothing to do with fat?
    The more muscle you have, the more efficient your body is at burning fat. Eat less than TDEE to lose. Eat more than TDEE to gain.
  • Mahmoud_Shalaby
    Mahmoud_Shalaby Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    MOST! and I say again! MOST protein shakes are 0 carbs and 0 fats. BUT mass gainers are the things you should be totally avoiding. these things are made for thin guys with high metabolic rates to try n get them bulky. we're already bulky. we just need the protein. so as long as you're using a protein that has 0 carbs and 0 fats. you're golden! try ISO 100 or Isopure or Carnivor or Hydro power. those are all 0 fat and 0 carb proteins. good luck.
  • skylarsmom99
    Options
    First, I have no idea how you are drinking it during your work outs!! I feel so full just trying to drink my water during workouts. (you are a better woman than me) I lift and do cardio everyday. I then go straight home and drink my protein shake. I have been loosing 2-3 pounds a week by keeping within my calorie goals, that is including adding the protein shake. So unless you go over your calorie goal the protein shake wont make you gain "fat". :)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MOST! and I say again! MOST protein shakes are 0 carbs and 0 fats. BUT mass gainers are the things you should be totally avoiding. these things are made for thin guys with high metabolic rates to try n get them bulky. we're already bulky. we just need the protein. so as long as you're using a protein that has 0 carbs and 0 fats. you're golden! try ISO 100 or Isopure or Carnivor or Hydro power. those are all 0 fat and 0 carb proteins. good luck.

Mass gainers only work in a caloric surplus. By themselves, they are not magic - not detrimental or postive to one's goal alone, so one's entire diet must be taken into consideration. Also, unless you are going over fats and carbs, there is no need to get a protein powder with 0 carbs and 0 fats. Especially in a bulk, carbs and fats become more important in gaining weight and building muscle. While protein is necessary to build muscle and stimulate MPS, in a bulk one should focus on minimum protein intake (.86g/lbs or less has been studied to be sufficient) and fill the rest in with carbs. Fats are key as well, but for athletic performance, mTOR acitvation and muscle recovery, carbs should be the focus.

For the OP, focus on caloric surplus, lifting heavy and adequate rest. Aside from newbie gains, you will not build muscle without putting on some fat.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. I am still under the caloric limit because of the cardio workout I also do.

Prolly gonna be hard to gain on a deficit brah.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, protein shakes, as well as ANY other food, can be fattening if you don't account for the calories and macros. I use Six Star Whey Isolate in Decadent Chocolate which has about 1g carb, 0g fat and 30g of protein and I mix it with either water or skim milk (if I need more carbs that day). I sometimes use 1.5 scoops if I need more protein. I usually take this after my workout.

I also use Six Star Vanilla Whey Isolate in Vanilla which is about 1g carb, 0g fat, and 26g of protein. This mixes well with my breakfast smoothies. I'll use 0.25-1 scoop for my smoothies. It all depends on what my protein needs are for the day. I know other brands have more/less protein per serving as well as fat and carbs. Just make sure you are paying attention to how much you intake. If you're doing a 1,500 calorie diet and have eating 1,500 calories for the day, drinking that additional protein shake will put you over.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I was told that Protein Shakes can be fattening. Is this true? I'm on a caloric deficit and I do weightlifting and I drink my protein shake while I work out

No instead is a freat resource to recovery faster from the training and cover the daily amounts of protein!