• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    a scale
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    a scale

+10 this is the best way- how will you know if you have 2oz unless you WEIGH OUT 2 OZ?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Now my question is, what is the portion size for cooked pasta? The pasta i have been using doesn't have that info...lol. i hate Google when it comes to stuff like that because i get a bunch of different answers.

And weighing it before i cook wouldn't matter in my case because then it gets cooked with everyone else's pasta for the whole family.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Now my question is, what is the portion size for cooked pasta? The pasta i have been using doesn't have that info...lol. i hate Google when it comes to stuff like that because i get a bunch of different answers.

And weighing it before i cook wouldn't matter in my case because then it gets cooked with everyone else's pasta for the whole family.
    I cook for the whole family too. I weigh the pasta (all servings) dry, then cook it; weigh it cooked, then divide by the number of portions I cooked (in my case generally 4) to find out how much my portion of cooked pasta is, It seems like it would be terribly inconvenient but it's really not, and adds maybe 30 seconds to the total prep time.

ETA: all pasta I've ever cooked is 2oz/56g dry for the serving size. It's fairly universal.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask that I actually measured 100grams dry pasta cooked it and it weighed 210 grams it seems to double in size hope that helps
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I cook for the whole family too. I weigh the pasta (all servings) dry, then cook it; weigh it cooked, then divide by the number of portions I cooked (in my case generally 4) to find out how much my portion of cooked pasta is, It seems like it would be terribly inconvenient but it's really not, and adds maybe 30 seconds to the total prep time.

ETA: all pasta I've ever cooked is 2oz/56g dry for the serving size. It's fairly universal.

^This is the most accurate way to measure it. I personally just measure 1 cup, as the brand of pasta I use says that 2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked. I also do not eat pasta with enough frequency to have this method of measuring completely screw up my calculations. If I ate it often, I would measure with the scale.
  • WAS287GOAL170
    WAS287GOAL170 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2 OZ (56grams) DRY is pretty standard serving of pasta. Usually run about 190-210 calories per 2 oz. This is what I did, I weigh out my 56 grams dry pasta, I cook it, then reweigh it. Will be heavier due to soaking up the water of course. Then you will know that _____ grams of cooked pasta weighs___ and can be cooked with the other family members pasta. Just weigh out your portion accordingly. Do this or just cook your pasta separate in a little pot. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    2 OZ (56grams) DRY is pretty standard serving of pasta. Usually run about 190-210 calories per 2 oz. This is what I did, I weigh out my 56 grams dry pasta, I cook it, then reweigh it. Will be heavier due to soaking up the water of course. Then you will know that _____ grams of cooked pasta weighs___ and can be cooked with the other family members pasta. Just weigh out your portion accordingly. Do this or just cook your pasta separate in a little pot. :)

The problem is that pasta absorbs more water the longer you cook it, so the cooked weight will vary every time.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

This is what I do too, is much less work than it sounds like.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

^This is the most accurate way to measure it. I personally just measure 1 cup, as the brand of pasta I use says that 2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked. I also do not eat pasta with enough frequency to have this method of measuring completely screw up my calculations. If I ate it often, I would measure with the scale.

I agree that 2 oz dry is roughly equal to 1 cup cooked. It's not exact, but it's close enough for me.
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think a scale is the best way.
    But for me, I'm just living temporarily in a place and I don't want to buy a scale...
    The other day I wanted to weigh some spaghetti. I had a 400g packet of spaghetti so I thought that having around 70g portion is good. So I took all the spaghetti out of the and divided it in to 6 portions, then wrapped a little cling film around each portion to keep it divided. I had to eye-ball it and judge based on holding the dry spaghetti in between my thumb and forefinger, but I guess it's a decent way... also because I will eventually eat all 400g of pasta by myself in the end I figure it's okay if some of the portions are slightly bigger/smaller than the other.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Edited because stupid phone
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Thanks! I actually rarely eat pasta myself, so i guess a general measurement would work for me (i.e. 2oz dry is roughly 210 grams cooked). That helps, especially since i intend to have pasta tonight
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat Barilla brand pasta, and they actually have a page on their website that says how much 2oz. It really depends on the size/shape of the pasta!