Weighing yourself on a carpet

Options
Hey mfpers
I have a query about weighing myself on carpet because I moved in with my brothers and they basically have carpet EVERYWHERE.
I tried to even weigh myself outside and the ground wasn't flat enough XD so... is there any way around this because I know carpet readings can be inaccurate and I have always noticed myself weighing less on one? (you could say weigh at your local gym or whatever but I generally prefer to weigh myself in the morning in not many clothes for more accuracy + I'm scared of gyms)... Any scales people know of that would be good regardless of the surface?

Replies

• Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on a carpet with no issues, they are in the same place everytime. I also measure myself as well, this way I get a good indicator of what is going on.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself in the kitchen or the bathroom. I notice that if you're on the carpet it can show a difference of 10 - 15 lbs.
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    One possible alternative may be to get a large cutting board (larger than the footprint of the scale) and use that as a hard surface between the scales and the carpet.

There is also a product called castor cups (or similar) one of those upside down (they're normally sold in lots of 4) under each foot of the scales should give you accurate (repeatable) results from your existing scales.
  • MinervaShine
    Options
    We have carpet all through our house so I placed my scales on a thick piece of wood that I found in the garage (think its an old wardrobe shelf), cos I know from experience that weighing on a carpet takes at least 13lbs from my results. Great ego boost but I'm happier with brutal honesty lol :D
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We have carpet all through our house so I placed my scales on a thick piece of wood that I found in the garage (think its an old wardrobe shelf), cos I know from experience that weighing on a carpet takes at least 13lbs from my results. Great ego boost but I'm happier with brutal honesty lol :D

If you literally have nowhere that doesn't have a hard floor then just use an old tray or similar as a barrier between the carpet and scales
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have tried weighing myself on a chair XD Not sure how accurate that was though.. I'll have to try look for another hard surface again, grr.. don't think I could use a tray, it'd have to be thicker like the big piece of wood that other lady suggested. I'd rather have brutal honesty too tbh ^_^ I couldn't weigh myself on a carpet, I'd get way too paranoid if I saw fluctuations thinking it was the carpet when in fact it could be any other number of things
  • ADMcNaul
    ADMcNaul Posts: 55
    Options
    I had huge differences when weighing myself on a carpet and on hard flooring.

I'm 16st but on the carpet it kept coming up 12st 4lbs

It probably depends on a number of things (carpet thickness, scales etc.)
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I'm 16st but on the carpet it kept coming up 12st 4lbs

The exact thing I'm afraid of XD I don't want to go around saying I'm 7 stone when I'm actually 9 and 1/2 xD