Other than yourself, who is your biggest supporter?

Options

Replies

• goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My friend, Nicole!
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my friends here on MFP are.
    My fiancé, friends and my mom have all told me I'm "too thin" and are always telling me to eat more, workout less, mom has made me get on the scale twice now cause she thought I was losing too much. I'm not, I'm getting stronger if anything :) anyways my MFP pals always encourage me to get my workout in and exchange various workouts and idea to stay fit. Also it's not just about the physical, it's about the mindset too and they're all pretty upbeat and sweet people. Maybe the people in my life that I can physically touch will one day be on board with me but for now it's my buddies here. :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My son (the kid I have in a headlock). He is always so proud of me and has even started running with me, we did our first 5k (we walked and ran) together this weekend.

That's amazing, my daughter did 2 5k's with me last year-- we did the color run and neon splash dash! They were fun, this year we are doing the Texan's Bulls on Parade 5k and maybe another color run! We never run the whole thing, but we did set a goal to finish faster each time. I believe we walked/jogged the first one in 45 mins and the 2nd one only took us 30 mins! We were so happy and tired!
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A very good friend of mine.

He and I met two-ish years ago on Fitocracy, and have always pushed each other on there. As our friendship as evolved, so has the motivation and the exchange of stuff like pictures. We met up for the first time this weekend and he was blown away (his words). Eating habits, I admit, are my downfall, but we kept each other on track this weekend. And with our workouts we're always trying to push, and motivate each other to go for a heavier lift, or more reps, or a faster lap time. He's actually crazy enough to want to climb the CN Tower with me (he wanted to do this year's but it didn't fit in his school schedule, he's hoping for next year - it'll be my 3rd climb and his first).
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Super Trainer!!!! I have no spouse or kids (not for lack of trying, but apparently the male population around here has absolutely no interest in the likes of me) and my parents live 3.5 hours away, so no family nearby to support me
    Almost 6 years ago I lost my best friend to stage 4 colo-rectal cancer (her second round) and really floundered for friends (have discovered that I have some of the greatest friends over the past 6 years, and in the past 2+ two of them have stood out and are the closest that I've had to my best friend.) Then just over two years ago I joined Lifestyle Family Fitness and met this really vibrant Les Mills Combat instructor. When I decided to look into some personal training, on the advice of another instructor, I decided not to work with the personal trainers at the gym (apparently LFF charged $30-50+ per hour and the trainers only received about $12, didn't seem right and I'd rather the trainer get the bulk of the money), so I asked the Combat instructor about this as we had started to become friends, she told me on the down low that LFF was being bought out by LA Fitness and they were not being kind to the Les Mills instructors (all the LM people were fired when LAF took over at the location I was at) and that another instructor was opening his own gym where she was going to be offering personal training. Well I became her first training client and we've become fast friends.
    She has been there through the worst: the first year of training with her I gained (yeah, I said GAINED) 40 lbs, she supported me through the tears, frustration, and anger. Even through the moments of being ready to give up because we couldn't figure out why all the exercise and eating right wasn't working. If I didn't show up for class I got a phone call (still do) to check on me, when I was down, she tell me we just have to find the right key, let's try this, there's got to be something going on. Every fail was met with an attempt to solve. When I went to an endocrinologist, she called before my appointment was over to see if I had answers (not yet at that time since I still had lab work to get done now that the doc knew what the background was), we cheered when we found out that I really did have something wrong with me (how sick is that? we're happy that I have something wrong???) and now we're seeing extremely slow progress (I'm hypothyroid and insulin resistant, just got stabilized on all the meds in the past few months), but we're seeing progress! And she's still my biggest cheer leader and always reminds me that I found my "roar"
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt my husband. He is my number one fan :drinker:
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My son (the kid I have in a headlock). He is always so proud of me and has even started running with me, we did our first 5k (we walked and ran) together this weekend.

That's amazing, my daughter did 2 5k's with me last year-- we did the color run and neon splash dash! They were fun, this year we are doing the Texan's Bulls on Parade 5k and maybe another color run! We never run the whole thing, but we did set a goal to finish faster each time. I believe we walked/jogged the first one in 45 mins and the 2nd one only took us 30 mins! We were so happy and tired!

We did the Neon Dash this weekend!! He told me he was going to start looking for other runs he thinks would be fun to do
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My best friend and my fiance are both my biggest supporters! My best friend is the one who got me into this site in the first place. We literally do everything together and say, if she pours a glass of soda without thinking, I tell her no and hand her a water bottle. She does the same for me. We even do our cheat days together haha.
    And my fiance is a Marine, so he's fit. He and I had a conversation about me losing some weight and getting more in shape, which hurt at first but he's been really helpful. He tells me how proud he is of me, when he can see progress, etc. Only a couple other people really know I'm doing this because I'm a little afraid they'll be like "You don't need to lose weight!" and then my motivation will be thrown out the window.
  • amethyst7986
    Options

Every fail was met with an attempt to solve. When I went to an endocrinologist, she called before my appointment was over to see if I had answers (not yet at that time since I still had lab work to get done now that the doc knew what the background was), we cheered when we found out that I really did have something wrong with me (how sick is that? we're happy that I have something wrong???) and now we're seeing extremely slow progress (I'm hypothyroid and insulin resistant, just got stabilized on all the meds in the past few months), but we're seeing progress! And she's still my biggest cheer leader and always reminds me that I found my "roar"

I felt the same way about being happy to hear something was wrong with my daughter in school-- she had a tough time reading and we tried everything to help her but nothing did the trick until we had her tested for a learning disorder, when I found out she was Dyslexic it was both the happiness and one of my saddest days-- but at least I had something to guide me through, the diagnosis allowed me to look for signs and what to expect. I'm happy to hear that you are making progress and that you have a great friend to help you along the way. Progress is being better today than you were yesterday!
  • amethyst7986
    Options

We did the Neon Dash this weekend!! He told me he was going to start looking for other runs he thinks would be fun to do

www.active.com

I follow a lot of them on facebook too.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My husband and son are my biggest supporters.
    My hubby got me a food scale I lusted after but didnt ask for out of fear he would think I was obsessing over food. He said, Hey I looked up macros and you need a scale. He got one for me in my fav color, red. I attribute all of my recent fat loss and muscle maintenenace to that man and that food scale.
    My son, he is the best! Someone who knew me when I was 190lbs said "Hey you're skinny now!" My son said "No my mom isnt skinny! Show her your guns mom!"
    I am very sensitive about my size right now though I weigh more than you think I would just looking at me, I wear a size 4. My son stuck up for me. I love that kid
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would love to say that my wife is my biggest supporter and fan, but sadly I cannot. She actually tries to sabotage me more than she helps me. I would not be doing any of this or being keeping at it without the help of one of dear friends.
  • amethyst7986
    Options
    Keep that friend close. I hope that one day your wife will come around and maybe join and support your healthier life style change. Good luck to you!
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband......he's my cheerleader, my weight loss partner, my work out buddy and my own personal chef. Combined we've lost 53 lbs in 6 weeks and support each other every step of the way.
  • emkelsall
    emkelsall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A long distance friend. He just absolutely motivates, praises and encourages me at every turn. I would be lost without him.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend. I recently started doing Insanity, but he doesn't like it, so he went a got a gym membership. He won't eat anything around me he knows I won't allow myself to have, and tries to cook dinners that are healthy, while keeping in mind my diet restrictions. I would be so much more difficult without his support!
  • amethyst7986
    Options
    My husband and son are my biggest supporters.
    My hubby got me a food scale I lusted after but didnt ask for out of fear he would think I was obsessing over food. He said, Hey I looked up macros and you need a scale. He got one for me in my fav color, red. I attribute all of my recent fat loss and muscle maintenenace to that man and that food scale.
    My son, he is the best! Someone who knew me when I was 190lbs said "Hey you're skinny now!" My son said "No my mom isnt skinny! Show her your guns mom!"
    I am very sensitive about my size right now though I weigh more than you think I would just looking at me, I wear a size 4. My son stuck up for me. I love that kid

I see you have a great family and support system. I know how much a good support system can be for a person. And kudos to both of them, you husband knew you needed a tool to better yourself and wants to help you get there and your son loves you and your progress!
  • amethyst7986
    Options
    My husband......he's my cheerleader, my weight loss partner, my work out buddy and my own personal chef. Combined we've lost 53 lbs in 6 weeks and support each other every step of the way.

Congrats to the both of you! That's amazing! Good luck!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Honestly (and this may be sad), I'd say online communities such as MFP, Livestrong and Instagram.

My boyfriend is sort of my personal trainer but more of just a gym buddy really. I do a lot of the gym on my own and have rarely gone to his gym recently. He supports me in theory and with exercise. But since he is bulking and I am cutting, he doesn't fully support me on my eating habits as much as I'd like him to. For example, going out to eat he's asking if I want an appetizer. He should know I shouldn't have one. Or he'll want me to grab drinks after a perfectly macro'd day. I want someone who respects how I have things planned and I don't want to deviate. If I know we're going out for dinner or drinks then I will accommodate that.

In terms of friends, I started my "healthy living" journey at the same time as two other friends. We decided to do it together originally but they have fallen off. I try to tell them some information I have learned but not in an arrogant way because there is a lot I don't know (for example, just tried to explain macros and net calories and share recipes to help them out). I feel like 1.) they don't want to hear it 2.) they secretly want me to fail and 3.) when they were living healthy with me and whenever they start again that they feel it is some sort of competition.

So yes, my biggest support has come from online communities especially from Instagram receiving and returning support from/to complete strangers.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My closest friend, who has been there to tell me what I need to hear, even when I didn't want to hear it. My brother and sister-and-law for helping me change my eating habits when I moved in with them after my life went to hell. All three of them for being willing guinea pigs for my food experiments as my learned new eating habits.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!