What is calorie cycling?

Options
I just read a post where thus is mentioned and wondered what is it? I am a newbie.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its looking at your calorie goal as a weekly thing, and planning some days to be high while others are low or middle.

Such as if you average 1600 calories a day, have 2 days at 2000 and the other 5 at 1440.

Sun 1440
    Mon 1440
    Tue 2000
    Wed 1440
    Thur 1440
    Fri 2000
    Sat 1440
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    our bodies can get into a rut the same way that humans as a whole can get into a rut in the way that they live - i.e. doing the same thing on a given day of the week each and every week of our lives... so if you eat the same foods in the same amounts (calories) and do the same exercises each and every day of the week, your body can adjust to that exercise/food/calorie level and this can cause plateaus and other stoppages in the process of losing weight.

So cycling your foods/calories/exercise will help prevent the body from adjusting to a given set of things and will keep it moving more towards the goal of losing the weight or gaining muscle or building endurance or what ever the end goal is...

to put it simply, it means don't eat the same calorie counts each and every day - I try to vary the amounts by 200 to 300 each day.
    food cycling works the same way - don't eat the same foods each and every day - make the body guess what is coming next and it doesn't get into a rut the same way. same thing with exercise - I do cardio 7 days a week and weights 5 days a week but I never do the same exercises on the same day on consecutive weeks - keeps my body guessing on what it needs to be prepared for and the result is that my body is never prepared and I don't have problems with my body getting 'adjusted' to a given pattern in my daily routines.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    our bodies can get into a rut the same way that humans as a whole can get into a rut in the way that they live - i.e. doing the same thing on a given day of the week each and every week of our lives... so if you eat the same foods in the same amounts (calories) and do the same exercises each and every day of the week, your body can adjust to that exercise/food/calorie level and this can cause plateaus and other stoppages in the process of losing weight.

So cycling your foods/calories/exercise will help prevent the body from adjusting to a given set of things and will keep it moving more towards the goal of losing the weight or gaining muscle or building endurance or what ever the end goal is...

to put it simply, it means don't eat the same calorie counts each and every day - I try to vary the amounts by 200 to 300 each day.
    food cycling works the same way - don't eat the same foods each and every day - make the body guess what is coming next and it doesn't get into a rut the same way. same thing with exercise - I do cardio 7 days a week and weights 5 days a week but I never do the same exercises on the same day on consecutive weeks - keeps my body guessing on what it needs to be prepared for and the result is that my body is never prepared and I don't have problems with my body getting 'adjusted' to a given pattern in my daily routines.

I have heard this, but I have also seen many times that muscle confusion and tricking the body is just false bro-science. Does anyone have any facts/studies regarding this.

Personally I believe a calorie is a unit a energy measurement for thermodynamics, I can not see the body adjusting the laws of energy because it is in a rut. Most plateaus seem to be just a lack of accuracy, smaller range for error, water retention and just the fact that weight loss is not linear. I also judge my weekly more than my daily intake. So in some ways I practice calorie cycling, but it is a convenience thing for me.

The idea sounds good, but most things in nature come down to pure math and not rationalizations with human emotions. Many times the simplest answer is the correct one. Most organisms also thrive In a consistent environment,and this would seem to negate the idea of tricking the body.

Not dismissing the above quoted, seriously interested in this too.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think part of the theory behind calorie (or carb) cycling is to help reset hormonal responses. For example, prolonged caloric deficits and exercise stress the body. The body responds with specific hormones -- cortisol probably being one of the most popular/well known. High cortisol levels can impeded weight loss. But, if you cycle, you don't get the constant, prolonged effect and so your cortisol and other stress hormones don't increase. Or at least that's the theory.

Intermittent fasting (IF) could also be seen as a more extreme version of calorie cycling. Like the 5:2 plan where you eat 500 calories 2 days a week and your TDEE the other 5. When you fast, your IGF-2 levels increase and this has to do with cellular repair, which some scientists are linking with decreased risk for certain diseases like diabetes. IF has been shown to also increase insulin sensitivity (though it doesn't seem to be a clear reason why yet).

As for my study of n=1 (i.e. me), I was at a plateau for nearly 6 weeks --- I'd been floating at the same two lbs that whole time. My calorie deficits were in the same range that they'd been the previous 12 weeks when I'd lost 15 lbs. I did a week of 5:2 and the scale started moving again, dropping a little over 2 lbs the first week. I was still eating the same foods in the same weekly amounts. Perhaps it was just water weight that finally caught up and the timing was just coincidental. I don't know. I do know that I found the 5:2 path a lot easier to maintain that weekly deficit (which was super surprising to me as I thought the fast days were going to be really difficult -- but they weren't).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    per the request - this is what I am using as a basis for the idea of cycling calories/food/exercises (besides my own personal experience):

3 Nutrition Tricks that Target Your Trouble Spots
    by Bruce and Janet Krahn
    Trouble Spot Training & Nutrition Experts
    Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #1: Cycle Your Calories
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of calories every day)
    It's no secret that in order to lose fat your body needs to be in a calorie deficit each day (burning off more calories than you're consuming).
    Conversely, in order to build muscle your body requires a calorie surplus (taking in more than you're burning off).
    However, eating the same amount of calories day in and day out when trying to lose fat can quickly result in adaptations, making it impossible to lose weight... OR gain muscle.
    The solution is to "cycle" your calories. For example:
    - Weight Training Days = Calorie Surplus (12-15 x Lean Body Mass)
    - Interval or Diet Days = Calorie Deficit (8-10 x Lean Body Mass)
    This will keep your thyroid activity (T4-T3 conversion) efficient and leptin sensitivity high - all while helping you maintain the proper estrogen to testosterone ratio necessary for fat loss and muscle gains.
    Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #2: Cycle Your Macronutrients
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of carbs, proteins, and fat every day)
    All calories are NOT created equal.
    Proteins, fats and carbs are all metabolized differently by the body and each produces a unique hormonal response...
    ... Especially when it comes to the hormone insulin.
    IMPORTANT: Some people are more "sensitive" to the actions of insulin, while some are more "resistant".
    If you have stubborn fat areas or trouble spots that won't budge no matter how hard you try, you are likely insulin resistant, which means you would benefit greatly from replacing your "healthy" carbs such as rice and potatoes with healthy fats.
    When this is done the right way it can make your body become more insulin sensitive, resulting in greater fat loss and more lean, calorie burning muscle - especially in stubborn body parts.
    Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #3: Cycle Your Food Choices
    (STOP eating the SAME types of foods every day)
    Food allergies are extremely common these days.
    Eating foods which you are allergic to can increase levels of inflammation causing your adrenal glands to secrete more cortisol.
    This in turn increases insulin and blood sugar levels causing your body to hold on to and deposit fat, rather than allowing you to access your stubborn fat for energy.
    The best way for you to avoid developing food allergies is to rotate your food selections.
    A few tips that will help is to avoid eating the same types of proteins back-to-back, while reducing or eliminating wheat and dairy - the two most common food allergens.

adding link:
    http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/

you can also search on Google and find most of the info that I would post here...
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    thank you! this is so helpful.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle - 1200-1300 on weekdays and around 2500 a day on weekends. Averages out to 1600 daily. I find 1200-1300 very easy to stick to on weekdays because I have a structure and do pretty much all my exercise on weekdays, then weekends I haven't needed to really change up my routine or had my weight loss affect my time with my husband and friends. I still don't binge like a maniac, but beer and nachos for the win!

It works for me and keeps me honest and on track.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle - 1200-1300 on weekdays and around 2500 a day on weekends. Averages out to 1600 daily. I find 1200-1300 very easy to stick to on weekdays because I have a structure and do pretty much all my exercise on weekdays, then weekends I haven't needed to really change up my routine or had my weight loss affect my time with my husband and friends. I still don't binge like a maniac, but beer and nachos for the win!

It works for me and keeps me honest and on track.

I do the same. I 'save' most of my exercise during the week for weekend meals. Pizza on Fridays. Dinner out with the wife on Saturdays. I am usually at maintenance on those days, and under my deficit goal during the week, to even it out to me my weekly goal. Works for me, as I too like to have beer, nachos, ice cream, and other fun stuff on the weekends.

It's one of the things I think works so well about MFP. I know what I can have, and I don't have to feel guilty about it, if it's in the plan. Last weekend, I had a piece of birthday cake AND a bowl of ice cream. =)
  • mkmarasch
    mkmarasch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need to read this.