Beating the Plateau

Options
I've sat right within about half a pound of the same weight for three weeks now. I know, I know, it happens. It's the same weight I plateau at every single time I try this weight loss journey. My weekly deficit for each week has been between 3000-3500 calories. I work out, I eat a varied low cal, high nutrient diet.

What do you do to beat the plateau?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Make sure you are logging accurately. If you are 100% sure you are then you have found your maintenance and need to create a bit more of a deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I suppose it should be said that three weeks is still within the possibility of being water weight from increased exercise, TOM, sodium, etc.

Setting your diary to public might help to get you more specific advice.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I got really strict with myself (for the most part). Ate leaner and cleaner. Added a little more to my weekly workouts and I am starting to lose again... Hoping the trend continues. I does get really hard when you get closer to goal.
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I know a three week plateau isn't unheard of.

@4legsRbettert - I'm definitely logging accurately. That's never been an issue for me. I've lost quite a bit of weight in the past. Creating more a deficit is hard for me because my BMR is just over 1200. So more deficit just means more working out, and I already work to burn at least 500 a day with TDEE and exercise.

@diannethegeek - I appreciate your thorough post! I'm logging very accurately. I measure properly with scale and cups, I really don't use condiments, etc. I don't eat back my exercise calories or even my TDEE, because my BMR is so low that I'd never lose anything if I did. I'm pretty sure I'm calculating my exercise closely, combining common estimates and an HRM. But I do a lot of interval training so I try not to rely on my HRM too closely. I know that some of my plateau was initially due to beginning strength training, but I feel like I should have moved out of that by now. I've never had any retention issues from TOM, though.

@becs3578 - I feel like on the whole, I'm not close enough to goal for it to be this hard yet. I've increased cardio the past two weeks, even though I hate cardio, haha. I can't really eat any leaner than I already do, but I have start trying to clean out preservatives and sugar as much I can.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't be measuring accurately if you're mentioning cups... unless it's for liquids. If you're using a cup for solids, you're not accurate.

That being said, 3 weeks isn't a plateau, I wouldn't change anything until you eat 5 or 6 weeks without losing weight.
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 - Yeah, for liquid. Adding milk to oatmeal and things like that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally considered 6+ weeks of no change on the scale with no changes to your routine. If you've increased your cardio in the past two weeks then you're likely still seeing some water retention from that. Without opening your diary, that would be my best guess for your stall.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've sat right within about half a pound of the same weight for three weeks now. I know, I know, it happens. It's the same weight I plateau at every single time I try this weight loss journey. My weekly deficit for each week has been between 3000-3500 calories. I work out, I eat a varied low cal, high nutrient diet.

What do you do to beat the plateau?

My weight "stalls" too, I have noticed it is at certain weights as well.

I try to cut calories a little more, and add some new exercise as I feel that my body seem to respond to that.
    New moves, new muscles being used compared to the same regular routine.

It is hard when the weight seem to stall like that, easy to get discouraged and from there one can easily go on a slippery slope! Being persistent, and maybe changing some small things might be enough to boost the weight loss again since you already know you are calculating your calorie intake properly :smile:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    platues are only real when you lose enough weight that your TDEE has decreased to compensate for your defecit without the person lowering calorie intake.

So..