Brussel Sprouts!

Options
Jaffy55806
Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
I need help making these taste yummy! GO.

Replies

• rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Butter ?

I don't like them much when they are boiled/steamed.. I like to cut them in half and put them on a baking sheet in the oven. Maybe sptriz with a little pam. They get nice and crispy.
  • DawnMcKillips
    DawnMcKillips Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I slice them in half, drizzle them with olive oil and lots of garlic. I brown them in the frying pan. My kids even love them!
  • abaldi0506
    abaldi0506 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from Wegmans. And I love it. I wasn't a brussel sprout lover and this recipe makes them yummy!

INGREDIENTS

1 tsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
    1/2 of a 4 oz pkg Italian Classics Diced Pancetta (Deli Dept)
    1/4 cup Food You Feel Good About Peeled Shallots, chopped
    1 pkg (14 oz) Food You Feel Good About Shaved Brussels Sprouts
    1/4 cup Wegmans Basting Oil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Tbsp Wegmans Apple Vinegar Spritzer

INSTRUCTIONS

Add olive oil and pancetta to large skillet; cook on MEDIUM about 5 min, until pancetta begins to render fat but is not browned.
    Add shallots, Brussels sprouts, and basting oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, on MEDIUM, 8-10 min, until vegetables are nearly softened but not browned. Remove from heat.
    Add apple vinegar spritzer and toss.

serving: 1/2 cup

Nutrition Info: Each serving (4 oz) contains 170 calories, 9 g carbohydrate, (3 g fiber), 5 g protein, 15 g fat, (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, and 110 mg sodium.
    Calories: 170
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You can bake them in the oven with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked peppercorns. I sometimes like garlic as well with them.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    I steam them and just put some salt and lemon pepper on them!
  • Jaffy55806
    Options
    I do like them. I just need different ways to eat them or I get bored.
  • Brainiak20
    Brainiak20 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Slice in half or grate them. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little evoo...maybe some salt and granulated garlic and black pepper. Roast at 385 till your desired liking. I like mine where the thin outsides are crispy yet the insides are a bit tender.
  • daniellefrank70
    daniellefrank70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quater them add a little onion, garlic and olive oil and then roast them at 400 for 30 min. My kids can't get enough of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine roasted in the oven with some olive oil. I think of them as a fall/winter food and don't usually eat them in the spring or summer.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh, Brussel Sprouts! I HATED them, until i had them oven-roasted; now they are my favorite vegetable. Ideally a little bacon grease and roast them on a sheet pan, but also olive oil is tasty. Slice them in half and roast them flat side down in a 400 degree oven, til they are browned and crispy on the bottom. I like to eat them plain, but a sprinkling of pine nuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, even siracha are all wonderful on them.
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with olive oil and garlic. :happy: That is the way my family has always made them! NEVER boiled!
  • 867Jen5309
    867Jen5309 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cut the base of the brussel sprout so the leaves falls off, keep doing this until you have no more base to cut off.
    Put all the cut leaves into a bowl or bag, add a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, and whatever seasoning you like, and mix.
    Preheat oven to 350 and place contents, single layer, onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-20 minutes.

Brussel Sprouts come out crunchy, and is a great substitute for chips!! I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but loved them the first time I tried them!
  • Jaffy55806
    Options
    I agree they aren't really a spring/ summer food but my boyfriend bought them and I am not going to let them go to waste.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I slice them in half, drizzle them with olive oil and lots of garlic. I brown them in the frying pan. My kids even love them!

This! Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable and this is why. A little squeeze of lemon juice or balsamic can really brighten them up, too! I personally prefer to shove 'em in a casserole dish and roast them, though - they get to the absolute perfect texture, perfect mouthfeel, so ****ing good.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    we put ours on kebabs and grill them after soaking them in a marinade for a couple hours (cooking them in microwave for about two minutes with a tad of water helps make them go through the skewers later much easier). They sit on the grill for about 10-15 minutes turning once in a while or can be put in the over as well similarly.

4 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

is the marinade we use and it's wonderful, the kids eat them up so much that most of the time we have to double the recipe for leftovers.
  • spykuh
    spykuh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. then mix them with whole grain dijon mustard and teensy bit of white wine vinegar...YUM!
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas..love them!
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love brussell sprouts plain but my hubby loves them with white vinagar!!
  • Marie285
    Marie285 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you roasted them in the oven with seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil) it changes the taste of them. My niece who "hated" them, called me after she has some I made and wanted to know how to cook them.

Give it a try!