What is your favorite way to make cauliflower?

Options
2»

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I make Cauliflower Fried Rice as well, similar to the above post. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SkimFlatWhite68/view/cauliflower-fried-rice-who-knew-670697

Another great way is to bake it - in a moderate oven and at the last 5 minutes sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top. So good!!

Or - mix in a bowl: Cauliflower, curry powder dissolved in a little bit of water, crushed garlic. Stir/Roll it all together and microwave for 2 minutes. So Yum!!
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cut up one potato as you would if you were making mashed potatoes. Boil it until it is almost done. Add in cut up cauliflower and cook until tender. Prepare as you would mashed potatoes. The kids will most likely never know they are eating cauliflower potatoes.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered roasted and I will eat an entire head for dinner.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I must try at least one of these a week, thanks :drinker:
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I break it into little pieces and roast it at 370 in the oven, you spray with cooking spray add salt &pepper cook till brown and crispy.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Baked Italian Style Cauli....it is so amazingly good!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-italian-style-cauliflower-50400000116797/
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just had mashed cauliflower with butter and black pepper and some cheese - consistency is like mashed potatoes but far lower on the calories. Made for a great lunch - I'm so full I'm not even eating the chicken I brought.
  • thyella
    thyella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to chopped up all kinds of vegetables in the Cuzinart and at it to a chick or steak rice stir fry. Vegetables they would eat I would leave larger but carrots, zucchini, cauliflower made them so they couldn't see them. As they got older and I started them cooking early, they came up with their own ideas of how to cook vegetables. Good Luck :wink:
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I know some people are against adding food coloring to foods but when we were younger my brother and I were EXTREMELY picky eaters and it lasted a long time so my mom would let us add squirts of coloring to foods and then it was fun to at least try them.
  • hooligansailor
    Options
    I like curried Cauliflower "Rice"...Add a bit of chicken or some fish with baby peas and enjoy!

http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also have a recipe from my Romanian grandma that goes something like this:

Cut cauli into florets
    Dip each floret into seasoned whisked egg
    roll in breadcrumbs
    layer in sprayed roasting dish
    top with a little nutmeg, and shredded mozz
    Roast at 375 till golden
    serve with sour cream.

It's really really good.

When I read OP's post, I immediately thought of a story about my sister when she was little...
    while eating at a buffet with my mom, my sister kept filling her plate with fried cauliflower. When my mom asked her how she liked it, my sister said that they were the best chicken nuggets she had ever eaten!

This recipe sounds delish & makes me wish that I were not feeling so strict about watching my carbs :-(.

Grated veggies added into spaghetti sauce works in our family. So does making ridiculous "mm-mmmmm" noises while eating my veggies. I hate broccoli, but I could win an academy award for the performance I put on while eating it in front of my kids. I vote for cauliflower rice, as it give me a base for my husband's curries, which are phenomenol.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    My sister boils it along with potatoes and turns it into mashed cauliflower/potatoes. She also chops in celery for some crunch. Adding pepper and chicken bouillon adds flavour and 2% milk makes it a bit creamier. It's called "Smashed Celery Spuds" from Company's Coming Cookbooks. You could see if they have the recipe online or just mess with it yourself :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    roasted or in a stir fry.

that's how I eat mine. little butter- S/P and maybe some garlic when roasted- love it.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Plain cauliflower can get quite boring indeed. Add some flavouring, i always make it with béchamel sauce. Just melt a teaspoon (or maybe two) of butter and add flour until it's crumbly. Then add 500ml milk (2 cups i believe) little by little untill you get a nice creamy sauce and add pepper and salt if you want. You can make cheese sauce with it, just add grated cheese of your choiche :)
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also have a recipe from my Romanian grandma that goes something like this:

Cut cauli into florets
    Dip each floret into seasoned whisked egg
    roll in breadcrumbs
    layer in sprayed roasting dish
    top with a little nutmeg, and shredded mozz
    Roast at 375 till golden
    serve with sour cream.

It's really really good.

When I read OP's post, I immediately thought of a story about my sister when she was little...
    while eating at a buffet with my mom, my sister kept filling her plate with fried cauliflower. When my mom asked her how she liked it, my sister said that they were the best chicken nuggets she had ever eaten!

This recipe sounds delish & makes me wish that I were not feeling so strict about watching my carbs :-(.

Grated veggies added into spaghetti sauce works in our family. So does making ridiculous "mm-mmmmm" noises while eating my veggies. I hate broccoli, but I could win an academy award for the performance I put on while eating it in front of my kids. I vote for cauliflower rice, as it give me a base for my husband's curries, which are phenomenol.

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Nutrient Data Laboratory, 1 cup of raw or cooked cauliflower contains about 5 grams of carbohydrates. Cauliflower is rich in fiber, which is a type of carbohydrate. Of the 5 grams of carbs present in 1 cup of cauliflower, 2 of those grams of carbs are from fiber. This is good news when it comes to maintaining a healthy body weight and controlling your blood cholesterol levels."

You can swap the traditional breadcrumbs for the Panko ones.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/510061/1
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the way my mother makes it is my favorite. She steams it just until it is crisp tender then she puts it in a buttered casserole dish and sprinkles it with grated sharp cheddar cheese and then sprinkles homemade breadcrumbs, that have been tossed in melted butter, on top before baking for 20 minutes. It is deeeelish!

oooooo !!!

would panko would in place of breadcrumbs??