For the first time I feel I am getting somewhere.

Options
WelshPhil1975
WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
I have been losing weight since March and I have so far lost 25lb (hopefully more by now, I haven’t weighed in 2 weeks since my scales died – I am replacing them on Wednesday) but I haven’t yet felt like it has shown on me atall. My belt has been getting tighter and my t-shirts have felt marginally looser, but nothing radically noticeable.

But I looked in the mirror yesterday that I definitely look a bit smaller than I did (although ”small” is not the most accurate term when you are already obese). My friend commented on it earlier on today aswell, so it’s not just me.

I must admit, whilst I am doing this for me, I cannot deny it was a great boost to hear it from somebody else. I am lucky that I haven’t lost motivation since I started this journey but compliments certainly add to the aspiration.

I am not ready to post a progress photo yet, it’s still too gradual for my liking (although hopefully not too much longer) but it’s a big step for me, actually losing enough for it to be noticed.

Replies

• rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have so far lost 14 lbs , but i can see big difference now!
    I take pictures a lot. That way, if i feel unmotivated, i only look at the pics.
    Surprisingly, looking at my pics, i will tell myself that i need to keep going .

Good luck on our journey ! Add me as a friend if you want to!
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple of "before" photos to post, i just haven't go round to it yet, but I won't take a "during" one until I really feel it's showing. It may already for all I know, but until i *feel* like it is I am too scared to post them.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far! I've lost 18 so far and those little compliments from friends/family really help. I'm lucky that my mom and step dad make sure to comment every time they see me. Even if they're just being nice, it does help keep me motivated. But the biggest one for me was a few days ago my 19 year old son gave me a hug and then stepped back, looked at me, and said "Wow, you FEEL smaller!" That just made my day.

I've been taking weekly photos but not posting them anywhere. They're just so I can go back through and see the gradual changes.
  • featherfrenzie
    featherfrenzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal post. i don't think I have ever just put out the cold hard facts in public.
    My weight has been a roller coaster of bad choices, I will admit I don't look my weight, I carry it well but I am definately overweight and was out of shape. My journey wasn't one day boom I made all the changes and let the changes begin. No last year I downloaded MFP and played and toyed with it. I wanted to get into athletic shape and started running. That was a joke! I was out of shape and no motivation. I would do a little extra exersise here and there but nothing substantial. I would attempt to be athletic like I once was and nope I would either fail or hurt myself. My diet was all fun! I would experiement in cooking without regaurd to calories or nutrition and come evening our house was the frequent party stop for our friends so I was drinking more alcohol than I ever had. I was living my 20's in my late 30's. Well my body paid for it. I started feeling icky and sore all the time, water retention and depression and anxiety. Over the past winter months I started getting serious when my weight started to creep up higher than I ever seen it. I got scared. I lost my mom last year to heart disease, she was only 56. But her diet was poor and exercise over the years poor to none.
    I started out slowly making changes as in watching my portions and white carbs, however I cheated on my foods more than not and I still had some drinks here and there thinking the little stuff should make monumental overnight changes. Well it doesn't and a aging metabolism, especially one filled with processed foods and garbage. I was raised on processed, fried, and fatty foods, it was difficult at first. But I love to cook and I started reading and reading and more reading online about nutrition values etc, and what each vitamin does for body function. I let my freaky nerd flag fly! I wanted that athlete body again.
    I started over the winter with Pilates and graduated to Blogilates and free weights. I did this consistantly 3-4x a week for 40-60 min a day. I really didn't lose any weight but I gained flexability and strength. Once spring finally broke I started brisk walks for 3-4 miles 3-4x a day. occassionaly I got ambitious and attempted to interval run. I found I could run and walk further and longer than I did last summer. Hmmmm? Blogilates added endourance! The scale still wasn't moving and I was battling water retention STILL!
    One day I started watching Dr Oz, love him or hate him, I still found the show useful in many ways. There is no miracle vitamin that melts fat away, but through his show I gain some additional knowledge or cues to do more research on my own when it came to healthier substitutes, vitamins, minerals, and how the body works. Gave me a boost. I also researched fitness tracking bands. I needed motivation I needed to be accountable for my inactivity or praised for getting out and doing it. I found that the Fit Bit Flex was praised highly and priced more reasonably. So I gave it a shot. am in absolute love with it. I find my competitive nature I have to complete my goals daily, and having friends on there I constantly try to get higher step levels.
    This last 4 weeks I have stepped it up and Have gone all out. I measure and count calories. I take vitamins that I was consistantly deficient in, and monitor if I still need to take them or not. I am now at a 90% paleo diet, and may have a social drink once every other week tops. I just dont crave the foods and drinks I used to anymore. I'm constantly coming up with new healthy recipies to try. I've learned how to add flavor without excess calories. I journal everyday in a private diary on my computer. I include my daily weigh ins and weekly measurements. I even list activities and foods. I combine all three of my apps in the one journal and I can see in front of me how my day measures up. I also journal personal feelings about the day my progress and future. It became a therapy for myself. I have spotted patterns and triggers in my day to day life that may lead me to be inactive or eat more. My most recent find through journaling is I found out I am consistantaly day after day probaly for years, highly deficient in Potassium. I have changed up my diet and added potassium to my vitamin load and amazing no more water retention. Through research I found the combination of Potassium and magnesium is essential not just for overall heart health but they work together to rid your cells of excess water and helps transport fat stores in cells to use as energy. NOTE: the amount you take in of Potassium must be carefully watched overdoses can make you violently ill to severe as in death. Everyday the mg must be accurately accounted for if you choose to take supplements plus notifying your doctor.
    Anyhow my journey leads me to today. I am down total about 20lb but 14ish since I downloaded MFP last year. My health is better than ever. Through my doctor I am nearly off Cymbalta, I have been weaning down slowly. Water retention issues I had daily are gone. My unexplained aches and pains are gone. My anxiety issues are far less and when they do pop up its controllable and are acting up for a reason that would get to anyone ( Kids gone crazy). I am fitting into clothes I haven't worn in a couple years and now they look better on due to muscle tone. I have a little ways to go to be at my goal weight, but feeling this good will make it easier for me to accomplish.
    I have considered posting my detailed day by day log I started 4 weeks ago to help inspire others or see the middle class family can afford to eat healthy just have to be creative. I have about 5 weeks till I turn 39. I am determined to make my last year of my 30's a happy thin athletic one, continuing into my 40's and beyond.
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements!!! I don't know if you did when you started, but even starting now it will help in times like this.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the measurements. I only measure the stomach but thats where i carry most of my weight. Some weeks i show no weight loss but that measurement gets smaller and thats all that matters.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!