how do know when you should stop losing weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself. I'm 5' 2.78" and weigh 127. My original goal was 125, but when I hit 129 I decided to change my ultimate goal to 120. I did this because I'm still not happy with my stomach, and looking at all my notes I have taken during this journey, for every 10 pounds I lose, I lose 1-2 inches from most areas. Losing 2 inches from my gut would make me happy. I don't think I will go lower than 120, lower than that, my face starts to cave in.
  • jdb117308
    jdb117308 Posts: 4
    Options
    So I just wanted to know the opinion of others, what are signs to you that you have lost enough weight, and/or are at the proper weight?
    Do you just wake up one morning and know "this is it?".. Is it better to go off of other people's opinions? Compare yourself to other people/athletes your height? I know it's great to have mental peace of mind in your weight, but depending on a person's personality, that may or may not ever come. Any thoughts?

This may sound silly, but I will know when I don't have an upper or lower belly ( as in excess fat in those areas). Since I had a baby, my stomach is quite rotund so that is what I want to see gone. Belly overhang, a lower belly pouch, has always been my signal of being overweight.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Everyone chooses based on a different criteria, but as for myself, I chose the weight that I was able to maintain, and also I was in my 30's.
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know ahead of time what my goal weight is. Once I hit the goal, I reevaluate and see if I really lost enough or should keep going. So this actually happened recently, I hit my goal but decided I want to drop a little lower once I got there.

I wouldn't base my goals on someone else's ideals though. Only you can decide when you're done losing weight. OP for the record, I'm sure most women would love to be in your shape though!

Thanks! :smile:
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have no clue either. I'm under 150 for the first time in over 6 years, and while my clothes are fitting (one of my original goals), and are even a little loose, I still don't feel like I'm done on this journey. I'm still on the low end of the BMI 'overweight' category, still feel flabby and still don't feel like I'm ready to maintain.

I think that maybe there will come a point where I feel like I don't need to lose more weight, but that I'll replace 'weight loss' with maintaining and maybe even muscle building. At any rate, I look forward to seeing what I can do next :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this and for all of the input from the others.

I'm struggling with this right now myself, so I'll be following this thread!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    When the women in your life tell you to......