What not to do in the free weight section

Options
I want to start to do some weight training at my gym. I do body pump classes, and use weights for toning, but I have not yet done any "heavy" lifting. I am going to start a new program from the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" book. I want to go learn to use the equipment in the free weight section of the gym, but I am a bit intimidated. I don't want to go in and be doing all the annoying things that will drive the usual inhabitants of that part of the gym nuts.

I hear the phrase "working in on sets" and am not sure on the proper etiquette where that is concerned. And when I am standing there, looking at the equipment with a puzzled look on my face trying to work out how to use it for myself I am going to be pretty self conscious. But I need to start somewhere, so folks are going to have to live with it...... but I was hoping for a few tips on how to not to piss people off..... Help!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Re: Working in: Proper etiquette, in my mind, is that you don't ask to do it, and you don't agree to it.

It's inefficient, and increases the period of time that you are tying up the equipment. Much more efficient to get in and get out.

That's just me though, but I'm probably considered a terrible offender, I'll run my whole workout in the power rack except for deadlifts and pendlay rows. (Doing stronglifts)

I think the Wil Weaton approach is best. Don't be a ****, and things are good to go.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Clean up after yourself - wipe down the bench, put your weights back
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Re: Working in: Proper etiquette, in my mind, is that you don't ask to do it, and you don't agree to it.

It's inefficient, and increases the period of time that you are tying up the equipment. Much more efficient to get in and get out.

Gotta disagree with that. Theres nothing wrong with asking to work in. Its a good option when someone is monopolizing the equipment you need and wont be finished anytime soon.

The whole point of work-ins is that when youre lifting heavy you might take a decent amount of time to recover between sets. Someone else can therefore work-in and utilize the equipment while youre resting. Everyone wins.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I go to a ymca and theres plenty of equipment but finding a spot to do my actually exercises has been difficult, i just find a piece of empty floor and try to stay out of way of big barbells and dumbells swinging. Ive had some annoyance with people being right in front of dumbell racks doing there thing,so i cant put my weights up without either waiting or getting in there space. I did see a guy today get rightfully annoyed when he was using leg machine tell this other guy, who was standing over him, that he had 2 more sets. The guy said im just trying to stay in the circuit and stood there the whole time like he didnt get it. The guy did his sets and this guy jumped right in machine pumped out 5 reps then jumped on next machine. The other guys shaking his head. Since im new i just kinda see how the regulars do things and follow suit.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd say about working in is that you should do it with someone similar height/strength e.g. if you are squatting with somehow who is a foot taller than you then you can't both use the rack at the same time. Similarly, if you are squatting the bar and another guy is squatting 180kg then it's not very efficient for either of you in this circumstance.

Otherwise, just do your thing. Most people are too worried about how they look to worry about others :tongue:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

That's just me though, but I'm probably considered a terrible offender, I'll run my whole workout in the power rack except for deadlifts and pendlay rows. (Doing stronglifts)

I think the Wil Weaton approach is best. Don't be a ****, and things are good to go.
    You better not be curling in there. :)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere - if a staff works there and is free in terms of not talking to or coaching a gym-goer, feel free to ask any questions. Start off lighter than you think you need to and just go with what's comfortable, and while I don't encourage staring at a particular person for...10 minutes, look around at the people in general and look at what they're doing. But here's a few in terms of not pissing people off/being a "dummy":

Loud excessive grunting or screaming isn't needed - some grunting is normal but if it's a little too excessive...It can get highly annoying and is really not needed, if you're doing this use a lighter weight for starters.

NEVER approach someone and ask a question/start chatting up someone when they're in a set, wait until they're resting if you want to ask for a spot, etc.

Speaking of spotting - almost anyone will be more than willing to spot you on squat, bench, etc. It's better to ask for a spot than look really stupid and lift something that you thought you could only to get stuck under it and having to get rescued.

Wipe down your equipment, benches etc after use. No one wants to lie/sit on some sweaty equipment you just used and soak up your fluids...Gyms provide paper towel/wipes/cleaning agent so use them!

If you want a piece of equipment: let's say you want to get squatting but it's already loaded with weights and might be in use, ASK first before undoing it all and loading up your weight/making the proper adjustments.

And the BIGGEST problem at my gym depending on the time of day...Put your bars/plates/whatever where they're supposed to go! I don't want to be searching for 10 minutes to find a whole bunch of plates hastily stacked in a corner someplace
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    yeah... that's just it.... trying to figure out how to "not be an *kitten*" as stated here. .... :wink:

So working in is when I would have three sets... with a long rest period, and then someone else would hop in during my rest?

But what if I only have two sets... and the rest is just 60 seconds. Then am I ok to just stay there through my rest... complete the second set.. ... and then rack my weights.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    yeah... that's just it.... trying to figure out how to "not be an *kitten*" as stated here. .... :wink:

So working in is when I would have three sets... with a long rest period, and then someone else would hop in during my rest?

But what if I only have two sets... and the rest is just 60 seconds. Then am I ok to just stay there through my rest... complete the second set.. ... and then rack my weights.

People will ask how much you have left till youre finished. If youre not going to be long, they'll be fine with that and no one needs to work in.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the tips.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    Options
    Any other tips for a newbie?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Put your weight's away.

If you want to use equipment and someone's using it- between THEIR sets- ask how many sets they have left. Then you can either plan you're workout around that- or say- hey do mind if I work in. But please for the love of god- do not just stand there twiddling your thumbs- I probably know you want a piece of equipment- but unless I know you- I'm not asking you if you want it after me or want to work in. YOU have to ask.

You have to be more mindful when working in- i.e. don't take hour long breaks between lifts. And make the other guy weight that long. If you need more rest- let him do two sets- it does not have to be a one to one set thing.

If you're working in- help him/her with the weights changing. even if you are lifting completely different weights- it's okay- just help.

Wipe your stuff when done.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Please don't talk on the phone in the gym. Go to the lobby or outside - not the locker room.

That and the sweaty bench are my top 2 pet peeves.

Don't underestimate body weight exercises. Some gyms are busy...don't waste time waiting for a piece of equipment - drop down and do some push ups, burpees, walking lunges or ab work.

Keep a log of what you do. Either in a notebook or on MFP - it's good to look back after a few weeks and see how much stronger you've gotten.

Now..Go get strong!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All these are good, but as someone who used to work in a relatively small gym, don't hog all the mirror space, especially if you're resting between sets. I gotta check my form.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    Options
    Put your weight's away.

If you want to use equipment and someone's using it- between THEIR sets- ask how many sets they have left. Then you can either plan you're workout around that- or say- hey do mind if I work in. But please for the love of god- do not just stand there twiddling your thumbs- I probably know you want a piece of equipment- but unless I know you- I'm not asking you if you want it after me or want to work in. YOU have to ask.

You have to be more mindful when working in- i.e. don't take hour long breaks between lifts. And make the other guy weight that long. If you need more rest- let him do two sets- it does not have to be a one to one set thing.

If you're working in- help him/her with the weights changing. even if you are lifting completely different weights- it's okay- just help.

Wipe your stuff when done.

Thanks... will keep this in mind.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All these are good, but as someone who used to work in a relatively small gym, don't hog all the mirror space, especially if you're resting between sets. I gotta check my form.

and please for the love of all things holy- do NOT stand 6" from the DB rack while you're doing your work. it's so rude.

Typically common sense things apply-
    wait to talk to people between sets
    Don't hog space you don't need.

if you need it- take it. It's fine.
    Point in case- if you're doing walking lunges with a barbell- and someone's got their head up their proverbial phone butt- and you happen to hit them- that's their fault. not your's.

Clean up after yourself.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Don't make access noise in the gym if you don't have to. I've started seeing a new group of Bro's that have starting going to the gym that only do exercises in the heavy lifting area with dead lift bar set up (I think they do power clings too), but they constantly drop the weights hard, make super loud grunting sounds, then spend 10 minutes or more between sets running around the weights area being loud with their other bro buddies. The only positive thing about these guys is at least they don't hog the racks. I don't know how they get a workout doing the same thing for over an hour.

The loudest one lifts about the same amount of weight I do for dead lift but I can finish my routine in 5-10 minutes and I do it relatively quietly with maybe some noise.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    Options
    Ok... don't grunt or make excessive amounts of noise for no reason.... I wish I could teach a few of my sons that rule! They are always making noise just for the joy it brings them.

I have never been much of a grunter, but I've never lifted heavy before either. I will try to be mindful of not starting any bad habits. :wink:

Don't stand around crowding the dumbbells... or I will look like a dumbbell... Got it!
  • skinnygirldc
    skinnygirldc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when heavy lifters don't put away their 45-pound plates after using the bench press.

I'm a small person, and I use the bench press for chest and the same bar for squats, and the 45-pound plates are too darn heavy for me to move!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Know what you are going to do that day when you walk into the gym. This will not only save you a lot of time staring off into space thinking about what you should do, it will also help you train more effectively and intelligently and get out of the gym faster. Hop on a good beginner's lifting program like starting strength and do that for several months without attempting to alter the program at all. That way you'll know exactly where to go for each training session and exactly how much weight to put on the bar. You'll spend a majority of your training time in the squat rack so you probably won't get in anyone's way since not very many people at a commercial gym do real exercises.