The Inevitable Doom of Having to Wear a Bathing Suit

Options
Hello everyone,

So in about 3 and a half weeks I will be going on vacation with my family. As a senior in college I have been struggling with my weight ever since I gained the infamous 'Freshman 15'. Last year I was barely comfortable enough to wear a bikini, but now I don't know. I feel like if I wear a bikini I will be self-concious and others will think I am too fat, but if I wear a tankini I will feel frumpy and feel as though I am trying to cover myself up. I don't want to give in to wearing a tankini, but I don't know if I should wear a bikini. I am 5'6 and weight 185 pounds, but I am pretty athletic. I have really athletic legs and a big butt, but I'm narrow hipped and have a smaller chest. I've got the whole spare tire thing going on around my stomach. You know, some love-handles and a bit of a pudge in the front. I've been dieting and workout out regularly for about 2 weeks now but I haven't lost any weight. I'm worried that what I am doing now won't make enough difference to wear a bikini a few weeks from now. So what should I do? I need some help/support!

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I think you should wear whatever you're the most comfortable in, whichever that may be. Don't worry about what other people think, 90% of them will be so concerned with how they look, they won't be worried about how you look. Wear what you want, and have a good time!
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    FYI, there are some cute tankinis, I wouldn't categorize them as "frumpy".
    IMO, I think even a sexy one piece looks good on any body type. You don't have to be in a bikini to look good or feel sexy.
    A rouched black one- piece with some cut outs is my go to.
    H&M or Forever 21.
    :wink:
  • Kelly2300
    Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work, wear what makes you happy and enjoy the vacation. Stop stressing over it, it really isn't that important. Your health and happiness are way more important.
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Some things you can't change:
    When the vacation starts
    What your body will look like between now and then (not a large change)
    What people will think of your body

One thing you can change:
    How you view yourself.

Accept that you put on some weight, wish you hadn't, but now live in the reality of wearing a bathing suit. Guys won't really care if you're carrying a few extra pounds so long as you don't make a big deal about it. Seeing a confident woman with an extra 15 is more pleasing than an insecure woman carrying her ideal weight.
  • RaeRum82
    RaeRum82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wearing a bikini is all about self confidence! Don't worry about what others think. It sounds like you will be fine. People are going to judge no matter what, that's just how we are. Some will think you look hot others will do the whole look what she's wearing thing! But who cares. Do what makes you happy and rock it either way! You are working towards a better you and that is the most important thing right now. Plus in my neck of the woods we have ladies who are a good 300+ pounds strutting their stuff in a bikini. If they feel good in it who am I to say anything but WORK IT GIRL!!! Good luck on your decision and have fun on vacation!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I've never worn a bikini so I would just go with a flattering one piece, maybe something vintage.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 180lb and wearing my first two-piece in years.

I got the bikini bottom with the little skirt and a halter top.

I like.
  • jkess5891
    jkess5891 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey ebarrett7, losing weight and becoming more fit is a journey, not something that changes overnight for ANYONE. If it happened that way, everyone would be losing weight effortlessly! That's what makes the challenge worth it.

Like most of the female population, when summer comes around, I too find myself stressing about being able to look 'good enough' to fit into my cute bikini, so that I do not have to cover myself up while on the beach. I know the feelings of discomfort, insecurity, you name it!! (basically insert any bad body image feeling here). You are good enough, body image doesn't define YOU as a person.

Just remember, gaining weight is something that is not permanent, and you will reach your goals eventually and maintain them. It sounds like you're doing everything right, from exercising and eating right. Coming to the realization that the Freshman 15 is pretty much inevitable (I gained it too) is good, because you are accepting that small changes can be made! One step at a time! Don't let anxiety about what others will think about you in a swim suit sabotage your efforts! Your family especially should not be there to judge you, because they love you. You keep going and doing what you're already doing, girl!
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I prefer tankinis to begin with - the ease of a two-piece, but with 100% fewer belly sunburns.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Tankini is the easy answer; you can get tops that are shorter and bottoms that are bikinis so you have a little coverage but not all are frumpy.

If you aren't comfy wearing a bikini, there is no rule that says you "have to".
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/what_you_see

Read this, it will change your life!

In all seriousness find a suit that YOU like how you look in and leave any other thought out of your head!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Very very few people have "perfect" bodies (whatever that means anyway) yet we all want to enjoy our time at the beach. Wear what you feel comfortable in. Forget what anyone else thinks.

6c0f36e143e9f4fa06a74a9db6d17f75.jpg
  • JeanMachine41
    Options
    Wear what you feel comfortable in. I personally like bikinis and even though I have gained weight, I will still wear them, I just have some modest ones. Check out the more designer brands where they are more forgiving. Stay away from Target and H&M. Nothing tight or digging into you. Cheap bikinis will not be your friend. Check out www.herroom.com and don't underestimate the power of self tanner, bold lipstick, great shades and jewelry. If you don't want people looking at your stomach, wear a big colorful pair of earrings or a bright, big hat.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

So in about 3 and a half weeks I will be going on vacation with my family. As a senior in college I have been struggling with my weight ever since I gained the infamous 'Freshman 15'. Last year I was barely comfortable enough to wear a bikini, but now I don't know. I feel like if I wear a bikini I will be self-concious and others will think I am too fat, but if I wear a tankini I will feel frumpy and feel as though I am trying to cover myself up. I don't want to give in to wearing a tankini, but I don't know if I should wear a bikini. I am 5'6 and weight 185 pounds, but I am pretty athletic. I have really athletic legs and a big butt, but I'm narrow hipped and have a smaller chest. I've got the whole spare tire thing going on around my stomach. You know, some love-handles and a bit of a pudge in the front. I've been dieting and workout out regularly for about 2 weeks now but I haven't lost any weight. I'm worried that what I am doing now won't make enough difference to wear a bikini a few weeks from now. So what should I do? I need some help/support!

Hmm. I kinda figured with the State of the Union, student loans, and other life things that your appearance in a bathing suit would be the least of your worries.

Just do what you can, if its not perfect.... Oh well, dont let it spoil your fun.... Have fun at the beach anyway!
  • tamwins
    tamwins Posts: 22
    Options
    Bathing suit season has always been a struggle for me. This year, I finally lost a good amount of weight, but I'm still self-conscious too. What I love about this year is that high-waisted bottoms have gotten in style, and it has transferred to bathing suits too! I can hide enough tummy, but still feel fashionable.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS felt very self-conscious wearing a bathing suit. I still do, but I just tell myself to suck it up and hold my head high because self-confidence makes a person 100x sexier. :flowerforyou:
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I kinda figured with the State of the Union, student loans, and other life things that your appearance in a bathing suit would be the least of your worries.

This added absolutely nothing to the conversation, not sure why you felt compelled to include it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get a suit you love.

period.

don't get a suit because it hides something. or it covers that extra thing- odds are- it's just drawing more attention to it.

Get a suit that fits- that makes YOU feel like a million bucks.

I used to wear men's board shorts everywhere- I felt like my *kitten* was so huge and it was just easier to wear shorts.

Then I had someone give me the hard talk that putting shorts on something that big only made it look like I was putting a tent on an elephant- I now wear full coverage high thigh bikini bottoms- why high hip/thigh? longer leg- makes my thick legs look less thick with the added length.

I'd honestly stay away from the "one piece with cut outs" I have never seen a person I thought looked good in them- thin or thick. I find they make even the thinnest person look wide. Just seems so unflattering. The lines are just weird.

Look for lines and angles rather than hiding things. Hiding things rarely works- but optical illusions of lengthening or shortening- that works and when it works- it can mean the difference between rock star swim wear and meh swim wear.

Also- buy something with an under-wire- seriously. those things are amazing.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I prefer a tankini over a bikini any day XD I think they're cute + sexy
    I've had a lot of guy friends tell me that a one piece is really sexy because it sticks to you (sure a bikini is revealing but sometimes a little left to the imagination is something to be desired too)