Any tips for overweight exercisers? Gear, process, etc?

Options
2»

Replies

• ayron102
    ayron102 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far for all the tips and encouragement. :)

Re: Compression shorts. Fitness being new to me, I thought those were ONLY used for outside your clothes when riding a bike (I'm near a bike trail.) Didn't realize you could/should wear them inside. Old Ayron, Cheeto-eating Ayron, would be surprised that I'm actually excited to go pick some up and walk tonight and see if that makes a difference.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Swimming works wonders.... Laps, or AquaZumba! My favorite. You get a good work out while protecting your joints.
    No chafing issues, You might be surprised at how good it feels, and the results you will get. If you are uncomfortable in just swim trunks, you can wear a tee- shirt too. Good luck!
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Swimming works wonders.... Laps, or AquaZumba! My favorite. You get a good work out while protecting your joints.
    No chafing issues, You might be surprised at how good it feels, and the results you will get. If you are uncomfortable in just swim trunks, you can wear a tee- shirt too. Good luck!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Re: Compression shorts. Fitness being new to me, I thought those were ONLY used for outside your clothes when riding a bike (I'm near a bike trail.) Didn't realize you could/should wear them inside. Old Ayron, Cheeto-eating Ayron, would be surprised that I'm actually excited to go pick some up and walk tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Some folks wear them outside, but things can get graphic, especially if it rains or you sweat through them, and they go all semi-transparent on you, as you don't wear underwear with them. For cycling I wear cycling shorts that look very similar, but have a taint pad and don't turn clear if they get wet. My main issue is the price, I feel like I am paying $20-30 for fancy underwear, which is why I recommend the C9 TechSoft boxers, they are 12 for 2 pairs. Then I save my "expensive" compression shorts for races and long runs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Some folks wear them outside, but things can get graphic, especially if it rains or you sweat through them, and they go all semi-transparent on you, as you don't wear underwear with them. For cycling I wear cycling shorts that look very similar, but have a taint pad and don't turn clear if they get wet. My main issue is the price, I feel like I am paying $20-30 for fancy underwear, which is why I recommend the C9 TechSoft boxers, they are 12 for 2 pairs. Then I save my "expensive" compression shorts for races and long runs.

They have moisture wicking properties which only work if they are directly in contact with your skin. They're quite amazing.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i wear compressions vest everytime i work out. i have a muscle issue but i couldnt stand the jiggle either so the extra support is great. is i ever work out wthout it i get so frustrated with the extra movement that i end up stopping, so compression vest every time for me.

also a decent bra for the ladies!
  • SonnyBoudreaux
    Options
    My exercise of choice is riding a bike. Get a comfortable one and literally pedal your A## off. It's easier on your joints and feet, and you can burn just about the same cal per minuet as jogging. You will be able to stick with longer. I have gone from 246 to 209 in 135 days. Just find a safe place to ride.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Taint pad.

I love that.
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

AquaZumba?! I need to find this!