Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yay, I've cut down how much diet soda I drink but I like the taste.
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    Nay.
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Where can I find a study that shows Diet Soda will make you gain weight? I hear that all the time but have yet to actually see a study that shows it.

I have seen some studies that show a consistency that diet soda drinkers are typically overweight but not even one study that shows diet soda has any thing to do with it.

I could use the same coloration with Weight Watchers. Most of its members are overweight so Weight Watchers may lead to weight gain.
  • widemajm
    widemajm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I don't drink it often but when I do crave a soda I'm glad for the option. I never feel very fantastic afterward though. I know it's not the best option...but it seems better than a drink that's just chock full of sugar.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

It has no calories and so it has zero effect on weight. It could cause stomach bloating from the carbonation if you drink too much, but not weight gain. I say YAY! Because sometimes I need a little caffeine to stay awake in school at night after working all day and I'll be damned if I'm giving up 250 calories of delicious, tasty food for a soda. Besdies, all of the sugar in a full bottle of soda makes me feel sick. I can barely finish an 8oz can.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If it is caffeinated, it's a nay because of my sensitivity to caffeine, which gets me all jittery and also makes me retain water. Otherwise it's a yay. LOVE my Zevia.

Love my Zevia too!
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Nay.. I think everyone has an opinion on sweeteners, my personal preference is why risk it? Plus I don't care for the taste of it.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Where can I find a study that shows Diet Soda will make you gain weight? I hear that all the time but have yet to actually see a study that shows it.

I have seen some studies that show a consistency that diet soda drinkers are typically overweight but not even one study that shows diet soda has any thing to do with it.

I could use the same coloration with Weight Watchers. Most of its members are overweight so Weight Watchers may lead to weight gain.

You're exactly correct. A lot of reporters see a correlation study and decide to make a quick story with X caused Y! when there is truly no evidence to suggest that either one caused the other at all. There is simply a correlation. The public is far too trusting of the media's interpretation of studies (and the media in general) and blindly accepts what they're told. Also. . . probably Dr. Oz.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, diet soda makes you hungry, so you overeat. I don't believe it.
    Supposedly, all soda is a dehydrant... that myth has been debunked (your body does, in fact, use water from soda). For some, it takes water to process caffeine, but the net effect is still going to be hydration. Soda has very little caffeine compared to coffee.

Personally, I am addicted to Diet Pepsi. I have cut back some, and would like to cut back to nothing, if even for just a few weeks to prove I don't need it. The reason I want to cut back is not because of artificial sweeteners or sodium, or anything like that. It's just that I hate feeling like I am dependent upon something. I really, really hate the feeling that soda has control over me... if I suddenly lost my job, could I stop spending money on soda? I don't think I could... that is scary to me.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Thank you for reading.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yay. I've been drinking diet soda for years and it has never caused me to gain weight. Coke Zero or my new obsession....Seagrams 10 Ginger Ale wtf!
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nay, I'm trying to move away from processed foods - starting with soda, precisely because I hate the empty calories. I find that diet soda just makes me want real soda more, so I just drink water. After a few days without soda the water start to taste good again.

Diet soda is zero calories
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is pretty much empty. It gives you no nutrition (but then again neither does water) but it also doesn't do anything to harm you (despite what some might say). Honestly the difference between drinking a diet soda and drinking water is negligible and comes down to the caffeine more than anything else.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Opinion? Nay. Bad stuff with no good stuff.

But I still drink it.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about diet soda is what it does to your teeth. In terms of nutrition, it's completely neutral. I go through a ton of diet soda, hasn't halted my weight loss at all.
  • healthnewlife
    Options
    i dont think it should even be existing
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Nay....on a LCHF diet, it can still cause an insulin release. I stick with diet water!
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nay, it causes too much bloating. Only on special occasions.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    i dont think it should even be existing
    Why not?
  • aprilmassey2
    aprilmassey2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    IMO, nay. The average person gets enough chemicals in their diet. Personally, the fewer sweet things I eat or drink, the less I crave sweet stuff (artificial or otherwise).
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.
    Absolute Yay. I eat so much sweeteners I must have more going through me than a sweetener factory...and I do not care.
    Life is too short to suffer through pleasure-less eating.