Brussel Sprouts!

Options

Replies

• Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash is a MIRACLE! Follow any roasted brussels sprouts recipe for cooktimes/temp, just coat with oil and Mrs Dash, some Salt & Pepper and you are good to go! Guranteed to fly off the plate!

Ex: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-brussels-sprouts/

400 degrees
    30-45 Min
    1.5 lbs Brussells Sprouts

Enjoy!
  • kamishagirl
    kamishagirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like mine shredded and sautéed with bacon.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I usually make them a couple ways. Both recipes calls for them to be halved, drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, and some chopped garlic.

Roasted - Take the above, spread on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven on 375 tossing every 10 minutes until golden brown.

Tin Foil Packet - Take the above and add some diced pancetta, put in the oven on 350 for 25-35 minutes.

I've been meaning to make them other ways, too, but these two recipes are so YUMMY.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The only way our family will touch these..... Allrecipes.com

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    1 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup water
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 slices bacon, diced finely
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Place Brussels sprouts in a saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until just tender; drain.
    In a separate saucepan large enough to hold the Brussels Sprouts, melt the butter and cook bacon and the onion until browned. Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in the flour until smooth. Return saucepan to low heat, and continue stirring until flour is lightly browned. Gradually blend in the water. Season with salt, pepper. Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar. Place the cooked Brussels sprouts in the mixture, and allow to simmer 5 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Information
    Sweet and Sour Brussels Sprouts
    Serving Size: 1/8 of a recipe
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 114
    Calories from Fat: 43
    % Daily Value *Total Fat4.8g7 %Saturated Fat2.9g14 %Cholesterol11mg4 %Sodium324mg13 %Potassium403mg11 %Total Carbohydrates15.8g5 %Dietary Fiber3.6g14 %
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest just replacing them with asparagus, but then I saw a recipe involving bacon! I swore off brussel sprouts at birth - but am now curious if bacon might be the answer!!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We got my dad to eat them by lightly frying them in olive oil just until they're brown and tender. It's the only way he'll eat them.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    the fat content on this is higher than the protein, carbs etc. :) yumm though I bet.
  • Kelly_May88
    Kelly_May88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sweat them with some coconut oil - yummo!
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    I prepare Brussels Sprouts very similarly except I normally roast them in the oven simply because I would rather wander off while they are cooking. I think they taste sweet and nutty. Adding onions makes them even sweeter.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I like most veggies, but can't stand Brussels sprouts. I even ordered them at Longhorn Steakhouse, because they add lots of bacon and butter and other assorted things that should make the most horrid veggie edible, to no avail. It still sucked. Good luck in your search for edible Brussels sprouts. If you stumble upon some hitherto unknown recipe, please shoot me a PM.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Steamed, halved, lightly dipped in hollandaise.
    Excellent.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    1. Steam frozen brussels sprouts in the microwave (2 minutes, stir, 2 more minutes) and add lemon juice and salt.

2. Cut fresh brussles sprouts in half lengthwise. Put in a bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake at 425 degrees for about 1/2 hour.

I thought I loved them the first way. Then I discovered the second way and I'm head over heels.
  • rap5781
    rap5781 Posts: 6
    Options
    The way I cook them is similar to a lot of these recipes. It's an adaptation of Jacques Pepin's recipe for Fricassee of Brussels Sprouts.

1 lb brussels sprouts
    2-3 slices bacon or pancetta
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper

- Cook bacon in a skillet until almost crispy.
    - Remove bacon and chop into small pieces.
    - Drain off some of the bacon grease from the pan into a small bowl or mug.
    - Cut the stems from the brussels sprouts and put them through the slicing blade on a food processor.
    *if you don't have a food processor you can cut them to about a 1/4" thickness with a knife.
    - Add the sliced sprouts and toss them to lightly coat with the bacon grease you left in the skillet. If you don't have to enough to lightly cover, pour a little of the reserved grease back into the skillet. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to soften the sprouts.
    - Uncover, add the bacon back to the skillet, and cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, for about 2 minutes, until the sprouts are tender but still a bit firm.
    - Taste them...add S&P after to your liking and drizzle with EVOO.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Boil & steam till very soft. Drain. Add favorite seasoning.
    Brussels sprouts take awhile to adjust to the flavor, but for me well worth it. One of my favorite veggies prepared many different ways now.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on this recipe on allrecipes. com and it is my favorite way of preparing brussel sprouts.
    Cut off the base, peel the outer leaves off(about 3 or 4 leaves) and then quarter them. In a sauce pan, heat a little olive oil, maybe 1 tablespoon, depends on how many you cook, just to coat the skillet. Toss in the brussel sprouts and saute. Take some fresh raw walnuts and coarse chop them, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup and add them to the brussel sprouts, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar--this will carmelize the walnuts, and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to brussel sprouts. Then grate some nutmeg on top of mixture (this step is optional). It is quick--maybe 10 or 15 minutes. The brussel sprouts will be soft with a little crunch--so delicious! Brussels will become your favorite vegetable.
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, steam with garlic in steamer for flavor, sprinkle lemon pepper, zest of orange, throw in a few raisens, voilla!

For alternative middle eastern twist, add garlic to saute, sprinkle sumac, olive oil.
  • My3Sons1051
    My3Sons1051 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I slice them in half, drizzle them with olive oil and lots of garlic. I brown them in the frying pan. My kids even love them!

I do this except I bake them on a cookie sheet in the oven @ 350 degrees... I don't really time them, I just turn them a few times and watch until they look sort of carmalized. I also do this with broccoli and asparagus (watch these carefully as they will burn quickly). DELICIOUS!
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, salt, pepper and put them in the oven on 400 for about 15 to 20 minutes. You need to shake the pan every few minutes. They will start to look a little burnt but that's how you want them. Gives them a WAY better taste and the little "chips" that fall off are delicious!
  • jen076
    jen076 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never boil or steam! Always saute in garlic and olive oil, or roast! Taste great!