Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If it is caffeinated, it's a nay because of my sensitivity to caffeine, which gets me all jittery and also makes me retain water. Otherwise it's a yay. LOVE my Zevia.

Doesn't have to be - what about diet root beer or diet ginger ale?

For me it's usually a yay. Tastes better than water, caffeine perks me up some and I suffer no ill effects no matter how late at night I have it, and as a bonus, the carbonation kills my hunger pangs for an hour or so (or until I have to burp :laugh:).

It's a nay on a completely empty stomach. Like citrus juices, it gives me a sour tummy. Nothing a few Saltines won't fix, but still. I hate feeling nauseated.
    Doesn't have to be. caffeinated, you mean?

Love Diet Root Beer, hate ginger ale. Though I do like Zevia Ginger Beer.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I would say Diet soda actually helped me drop the pounds I did. However now that I am around goal I am eliminating it because of the artificial side of the drink. It also gave me an excuse not to drink water which I need to do more of.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the aftertaste of all these drinks...even coffee, but I like coffee's aroma...so I brush my teeth afterward..sodas, I can easily pass. :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

How can it make you gain weight in the long run? Are you giving undue credence to all those internet scare stories masquerading as science condemning aspartame as some sort of poison sent from Satan himself? If you are, do yourself a huge favour and ignore them. If you want to drink diet soda, go for it - but don't over do it and down litres of the stuff. Because water should really be the liquid you drink the most of. But if you want some soda, grab a can of diet whatever and enjoy it. Safe in the knowledge it won't kill you, make you fat, rot your brain and insides, turn you into some sort of psychotic mass murderer or whatever it is the scare stories claim they do. Enjoy.
    Actually, I've read the summaries of quite a few studies on Medscape that it can cause weight gain. I do drink an occasional soda but a lot less than I used to.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Nay Nay Nay. Artificial sweeteners are banned in many places for a reason.

Like where?
    The amount of diseases, such as diabetes, that aren't caused from calories but chemicals and sweeteners.

News to me, also news to the medical community.
    Plus anything can say "No Calories" but it doesn't mean that there's not still things in it that don't cause weight gain.

Actually that is exactly what that means.
    To the ones saying it doesn't cause them to gain weight, what else do you eat and how active are you? That also makes a difference.

Calories in calories out makes the difference. Diet soda having effectively zero calories has no bearing on that whatsoever.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast?page=2 Check It! And next time, You don't have to comment back like an *kitten*.

Read your editorial article on webmd. I think you may have missed this part "Because both of these studies were observational, it is impossible to say if the diet sodas played a direct role in the weight gain."

Also....like an *kitten*? Seriously? Okay I will repeat the questions in a different way.

Where are artificial sweeteners banned? What study links artificial sweeteners to the onset of diabetes? What ingredient in diet sodas causes weight gain and what study supports this claim?
  • Auraonfire
    Auraonfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    People often debate drinking diet sodas or not. I have drank diet sodas for years and either maintained or lost weight.

I went through a small phase where I thought it could be harmful to me (artificial sweeteners) so I stopped them and went to regular.

I gained weight.

So it only seems logical if you are gonna drink soda drink diet.

It also seems logical not to drink soda all day everyday, diet or not. Moderation.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yay for me if you are going to base your decision on an online forum poll.

I drink, what most would consider, a lot of diet soda. Body fat went down just fine.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i say YAY, i dont drink sodas that much anymore, but when i go out to eat i'll drink a diet coke if i drink soda. sometimes water just doesnt sound good when im out to eat.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Absolute garbage, so NAY!
  • NotASoul
    NotASoul Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nay - nothing to do with weight, they're just BAD for you!
  • NutellaByTheSpoon
    Options
    Nay--no reason to put chemicals in my body. And for me....diet drinks...Splenda and AS in general cause me to crave food. Good ole water.
    Same here :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Nay--no reason to put chemicals in my body. And for me....diet drinks...Splenda and AS in general cause me to crave food. Good ole water.
    Same here :)
    You get that water is a chemical, right.?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Diet soda is a gateway soda, first it is diet soda, then you start drinking Pepsi One or Dr. Pepper 10. You tell yourself, "It isn't that many calories" then before you know it, you are drinking full leaded soda and back where you began.
    Then after the coke it's the Crack and the Heroin.
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    for me is a no
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nay. Diet I've never found that good. Why? It has no sugar! Obviously, I know this is why it is better for you but it just isn't addictive and too watered down, no good in my eyes. Yes, I know no sugar means better. I used to drink pop heavily, regular coke and pepsi. I loved it. I was a contributing factor for weight gain and greatly damaged my teeth enamel. This is even after eventually brushing teeth and using fluroide. It raised the bacteria level. After a ton of fillies, a few crowns and giving up pop all together, I haven't had any new cavities for a few years now.

Interestingly enough, there is research out there that suggests diet can factor into weight gain. The phosorphic acid in a lot of pop - diet too is a death sentence for the health of your teeth. I know first hand.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi all the way for me!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nay. I don't like soda as it is and diet soda has a nasty aftertaste to me.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nay - nothing to do with weight, they're just BAD for you!

Well said. People seem to think that diet is okay for your teeth, it is a little bit better with no sugar, but a lot of the pops that have phosorphic acid in them greatly weaken enamel away. Many diet pops have this acid in them too.

I am a recovering Pepsi-aholic. I drank it heavily for probably 6 years at least. I paid the price in the dentist office several times. This is the main reason I gave it up.