Can you really burn that much?

Options
I've been using these two calculators, one is a BMR calculator. That one says I burn 1636. The other one I use is from Health Status that one calculates how many calories you burn doing general activities. It says that I burn 800. Do you guys think those are accurate? If so do I add those together, and then I'll have my daily calories burn?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Probably inaccurate, but what are you doing and for how long? Also, what is your weight and height?

By general activities, do you mean you just wear the HRM around all day? If so, it's wrong.. HRMs are designed for steady state intense cardio.
  • awoolbright772
    Options
    I am 163lbs and 5'7''. I do maybe 30 minutes of aerobics 3 times a week, I walk casually often, and that's pretty much it. The calculator also had a catagory for sleeping. I sleep for about 8 hours and it said that burned 300 calories. By general activities I mean like caring for children, cleaning, yard work, sitting/resting, sleeping, ect.
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bought a bodymedia fit link. I burn around 2300 calories in 24 hours. And that's with an hour + of vigorous workouts like running. I wish I burned at a faster rate, but I don't, and have to eat accordingly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am 163lbs and 5'7''. I do maybe 30 minutes of aerobics 3 times a week, I walk casually often, and that's pretty much it. The calculator also had a catagory for sleeping. I sleep for about 8 hours and it said that burned 300 calories. By general activities I mean like caring for children, cleaning, yard work, sitting/resting, sleeping, ect.
    I assume you are using a fitbit or a body media? Your stats would suggest an average burn daily of around 2200 +/- 200 calories, but that would include exercise, metabolic functions, daily active and pretty much all movement.

But from a pure exercise stand point, no you are not burning that much.