Did weight lifting help you lose weight?

Options
I used to lift weights. I stopped about six months ago, because I felt it was interfering with my dance training. My style is locking (a street dance). I train on a Monday for up to 3 hours, on a Wednesday for ninety minutes and a Saturday for two hours. The problem was, if I lifted on the days I trained, it would be too much (squatting 100lbs and then going to training where you're basically doing plyometrics the whole time? Um...) BUT if I lifted on non-training days, my legs would never really have proper time to rest.

But I managed it. And I think overall, I felt stronger. The problem is now, I feel a lot less fit in general, and the weight isn't coming off at a reasonable pace. I dance a LOT, and when I was lifting I could drop 2lbs a week consistently on 2000 calories a day. Now, not so much. I wonder if something about the weight lifting was helping me to drop weight? Which is strange, because I've heard that people who lift heavy often see a change in their body but not on the scale.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight lifting is exercise and you stopped that exercise...you have less of a deficit now hence the slow down in the weight loss.

I have been lifting for just over 10 months and it has never stopped me from losing weight.

I consistently lost 3/4lb a week over the first 9 months and 10 inches easy.

If people are lifting and not seeing a loss in the scale they are probably not in a deficit (maitenance) or a very low deficit thereby losing weight slowly enough they didn't really notice 1/4lb here, 1/8lb there...
  • caimay175
    caimay175 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hmm, still doesn't make sense. Compared to cardio, weight lifting has a smaller deficit. I'm actually in longer dance rehearsals now - 2 hours more to be exact - so surely I should be losing faster than before....
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also lose weight much faster when I do strength training. I've read that it increases your resting metabolic rate over the 24-48 hours after doing training, meaning you can burn a higher amount of calories over that time. Increased muscle mass in general is meant to have a similar effect on your metabolism. I read a little bit about it a while ago where they found in a study that the metabolism boost didn't burn many extra calories at all, so the calories burned during that 24-48 hour period after strength training are hardly relevant. A lot of people think it burns very little, and a lot less than cardio. But I've given it up in the past and substituted it for a higher amount of cardio, and my weight loss slowed dramatically. It quickened up and stayed a lot faster when I brought in more strength training. I also don't lift that heavy, although I would if I could! :) I tend to eat a lot after a strength training session, and I think I generally eat back the calories I burn doing it, though it's hard to estimate. I don't have huge amounts of muscle; I want to build more eventually, but I'm still in a deficit and my protein intake is currently really poor. So I generally put the elevated calorie burn down to the 24-48 hour afterburn effect. When people don't see a difference on the scale they're usually building muscle mass (and if they're just beginning strength training, possibly holding extra water weight), whereas for me and maybe for you, being in a calorie deficit and losing fat, we're probably closer to maintaining it.
  • caimay175
    Options
    It's funny isn't it? I'm definitely going to start lifting again regardless, so it could be a little experiment. My scale is stuck and has been for a while now.

I also wondered if it could have anything to do with the fact that when I have more physical strength (more power in my legs, for example), I'm more effective in my cardio workouts, therefore burning more calories (I've been slacking on those jumps lately)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me, if I do lots of cardio (used to), my body seems to get used to it... so maybe your body doesn't react to all the cardio as it has become efficient and doesn't burn as many calories... adding lifting is keeping the muscle and that burns fat so in essence the reduction and build...

just me thinking out loud :bigsmile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Based on my understanding the following is what happens with the different types of exercise...

Cardio

You burn while you do it...that's it...

HIIT

You burn while doing and for hours afterwards...it is called EPOC, Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption

Weight training

Again the EPOC is longer than HIIT...some say as high as 24-48 hours...

Basically your metabolism is still reved up after HIIT and weight training where as with Cardio it is not.

so you may think based on logging weight training that the "deficit" is smaller but it's not. The inital deficit is but the long term effects of strength training mean a lot more than the inital burn of just Cardio.

That is why I do all 3...I go for walks (brisk), I do HIIT on my bike and strength train.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food at all? You could be eating more than you think.
  • caimay175
    Options
    Ahhh....that 'body getting used to it thing' - yep. Might be on to something there. I always challenge myself with weight lifting, wanting to lift more (my ego likes it) - so it never really stays the same. Maybe that could be it. I need to be lifting over the next 3 months anyway for a music video I have in September. So, it will interesting to see if this busts the plateau or not.

Thanks for the responses - it's definitely making more sense now.

By the way Clambert, loving your profile picture!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Ahhh....that 'body getting used to it thing' - yep. Might be on to something there. I always challenge myself with weight lifting, wanting to lift more (my ego likes it) - so it never really stays the same. Maybe that could be it. I need to be lifting over the next 3 months anyway for a music video I have in September. So, it will interesting to see if this busts the plateau or not.

Thanks for the responses - it's definitely making more sense now.

By the way Clambert, loving your profile picture!

LOL thanks - it is me lol I rarely do cardio.. and usually if I do it is quick 20 min just loosen muscles.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Based on my understanding the following is what happens with the different types of exercise...

Cardio

You burn while you do it...that's it...

HIIT

You burn while doing and for hours afterwards...it is called EPOC, Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption

Weight training

Again the EPOC is longer than HIIT...some say as high as 24-48 hours...

Basically your metabolism is still reved up after HIIT and weight training where as with Cardio it is not.

so you may think based on logging weight training that the "deficit" is smaller but it's not. The inital deficit is but the long term effects of strength training mean a lot more than the inital burn of just Cardio.

That is why I do all 3...I go for walks (brisk), I do HIIT on my bike and strength train.

QFT! :drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Lifting in my opinion has made me LOOK like I have lost more weight than I have. There is a 40 pound difference between the first and second picture, and I have lifted for over two years.

96ca0a41b40ac0b99abe4aafbc77f35ad44e.jpg

96ca1643bec8a995d991adf3d1c95ababc07.jpg
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Lifting in my opinion has made me LOOK like I have lost more weight than I have. There is a 40 pound difference between the first and second picture, and I have lifted for over two years.

There you are... I still love you LOL girl crush :flowerforyou:

OP - this is the lady that I found in a thread that totally motivated me to start lifting :bigsmile:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    lifting didn't help me lose any scale weight; if any I weigh more than before. But size wise I look the same, or maybe a little leaner.

Just like any other exercise, lifting weight is benefical for our overall health; but it doesn't necessarily promotes weight (scale weight) loss.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

This is awesome...but 40 pounds is nothing small...it's "tons of weight". you look great.