Non-runners success with C25K???

Options
Hi All,
I am a non-runner (Nope! Never, ever, ever have I been able to run. Anywhere, for any length of time! Seriously!) & I'm now in week 3 of the C25K program. I've not been able to do it in the suggested timeframe of 3 weeks so I'm extending it out a few extra weeks to try & stick with it. If I'm totally honest though I'm having a really tough time. Are there any Non-Runners out there that did the plan successfully? I'm starting to doubt if I will ever be a runner at this rate. I'm struggling.

Just curious what everyone's opinion is? Are some people just not built to be runners?? Should I just hang in there & tough it out.

PS: I'm hauling 107kgs (235-ish pounds) at the moment & I realise its not supposed to be all happy frolicking with unicorns & stuff but I'm really paining.

Kaz :wink:

Replies

• catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh that's not very encouraging. I have recently bought running shoes and have the app on my phone....just building up the courage to try to run and breathe at the same time. Hate running...had to run 3 miles twice a week in the academy. But it's supposed to be good for you so I thought I'd try C25k. I was hoping it would make running easier :cry:
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup. I tend to re-start it every spring as I hate running in the winter. And it works. Some times I extend it a few weeks so that I really feel comfortable, but other times I've just gone straight through and sucked it up. But every time I get to 30 minutes of running w/o stopping and it feels good. I'm not a runner and I don't love running, but I do it to get fit for field hockey season. Don't give up - most people I know who have gone from no running to running have taken their time with the programme and been fine. What I would say is decide now how many weeks you want to do each 'week' and go with that (ex. do 3 weeks of week 3, 2 weeks of week 4, 2 weeks of week 5, etc). It will 'hurt' a bit but that's okay...it's not meant to be entirely easy.
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Yup. I tend to re-start it every spring as I hate running in the winter. And it works. Some times I extend it a few weeks so that I really feel comfortable, but other times I've just gone straight through and sucked it up. But every time I get to 30 minutes of running w/o stopping and it feels good. I'm not a runner and I don't love running, but I do it to get fit for field hockey season. Don't give up - most people I know who have gone from no running to running have taken their time with the programme and been fine. What I would say is decide now how many weeks you want to do each 'week' and go with that (ex. do 3 weeks of week 3, 2 weeks of week 4, 2 weeks of week 5, etc). It will 'hurt' a bit but that's okay...it's not meant to be entirely easy.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I will try to hang in there. I did Wk 1 in 2 weeks, Wk 2 in 2 weeks, had a break for a week to ease up on some pain I'm getting in my hip (could be sciatica, I'm not sure) & just started Wk 3 today. I didn't do too badly considering I had a week off. Lungs are ok, its the legs that are giving me problems. I was thinking of doing Wk 3 for 3 weeks.
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    Oh that's not very encouraging. I have recently bought running shoes and have the app on my phone....just building up the courage to try to run and breathe at the same time. Hate running...had to run 3 miles twice a week in the academy. But it's supposed to be good for you so I thought I'd try C25k. I was hoping it would make running easier :cry:

Don't let me deter you! You might have an altogether different experience to me. You wont know till you try. :bigsmile:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a non runner before C25K, it took me two attempts to get through it, and finding parkrun definitely helped me with keeping up with the running.

I am now a Runner, no two ways about it. I'm running 3-4 times a week, averaging around 30km/19miles as I now work through the Bridge to 10K program.

I suffered during program, days where I swear I was running slower than I could walk. Days where I had to tell myself on x minutes until I get a break. I swear some days I almost jogged on the spot, but I persevered, made it through and kept running. I am ever so glad I did.

The biggest tip you will get from pretty much everyone who has been through the program, or is an experienced runner is SLOW DOWN. If you feel good, still slow down. You'll get through it and you'll feel better for it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to finally run a 5K. I took another year to run a 1/2 marathon, and now I have run 2 full marathons. I was a smoker, obese and hadn't run anywhere in 40 years. You can do it if you stick with it. Set your schedule in a calendar and get going.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner and I managed to complete it, now I run every other day 30 minutes. I still don't feel like a 'runner' as I don't feel these happy emotions you're supposed to get during or after. I just really look forward to when it's finished.

I think it's really more of a mental endurance thing for me. I want to stop and so I think I am tired and going to collapse, etc. But I just have to push through it and convince myself to continue.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started it May 2013 and successfully completed it in July last summer. I've since run 3 half marathons and gotten up to about 25 miles per week. So the program can definitely help you achieve results. Ultimately you only get out of the program what you put into it. The key to running is consistency. Make sure that you're getting out there at least 3 days a week and you'll see the changes happen. It is okay to repeat weeks and such if you need to, but don't have any big gaps in your training.
  • LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give up if I were you. I weigh about the same as you (233 lbs), and I can finally run. I didn't do the C25K, but after looking at what this running plan involves, I'm surprised that I can run way beyond that. I tried several different times to get used to running, and I never could. I would get bad blisters on my feet, and my legs would get tired so quickly, and I would immediately be out of breath. Most of all, my mind constantly got in my way.

I had to go back home for a family emergency, and so I was without my elliptical (which is what I do for cardio). I didn't want to get out of the habit, so I decided to run instead. The first day I walked 7 minutes and then surprisingly ran for 22 minutes without stopping. I had never done that. By the 10th day I was running for 45 minutes straight without stopping. That was just a few weeks ago, and I can now run 5 miles in 60 minutes. I'm quite amazed.

I say all this to encourage you because I never thought I would be able to run, but one day I just decided I had to do it, and it all clicked for me. Don't give up. If it's something you want to do, you will find a way. I think certain people may be more into running, but I think everyone is built to run in one way or another.

Good luck to you!! You can do it!
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    I did a similar program to C25K except it's called 'Zombies Run 5k training' and it takes 8 weeks to complete. I find the amount you run increases a lot easier than the C25K so I recommend you look into it. The first week starts with 15sec running 1 min walking as opposed to 30 seconds running in C25K.

I was NOT a runner. I hated running, I run outside because I have a weird phobia of treadmills, and I used to have strange panic attacks whenever I had to run where people could see me. I would start to feel faint if people were walking towards me, it was all psychological of course. When I was younger I used to feel faint trying to cross the road because people in their cars would be watching me.

I finished the 5k run a week ago, and have now moved on to the main app and running is my favourite exercise to do. I occasionally feel faint but I've learnt to push through it. I highly recommend continuing on, I finished the course in about 3 months because I was sick for 3 weeks and couldn't run, but the minute I recovered I managed to pick up where I left off.

Basically, I was battling not being able to run at all as well as feeling faint when I ran outside. Now I absolutely loving running thanks to this program. Stick at it! :)
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    I was definitely a non runner before C25K, it took me two attempts to get through it, and finding parkrun definitely helped me with keeping up with the running.

I am now a Runner, no two ways about it. I'm running 3-4 times a week, averaging around 30km/19miles as I now work through the Bridge to 10K program.

I suffered during program, days where I swear I was running slower than I could walk. Days where I had to tell myself on x minutes until I get a break. I swear some days I almost jogged on the spot, but I persevered, made it through and kept running. I am ever so glad I did.

The biggest tip you will get from pretty much everyone who has been through the program, or is an experienced runner is SLOW DOWN. If you feel good, still slow down. You'll get through it and you'll feel better for it.

I'm doing it on a treadmill at home (God knows I'm not ready to wobble run in public yet!) & I have slowed down considerably since the last time I tried it. My running blocks are at 7.4k whereas the last time I did it I tried running at 9k. I get really bad case of jelly legs though & it scares me that I might fall off & hurt myself. I'm 1.65m tall (5.4ft) so I don't have a very long stride. Do you think 7.4k is ok or even slower??
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    I wouldn't give up if I were you. I weigh about the same as you (233 lbs), and I can finally run. I didn't do the C25K, but after looking at what this running plan involves, I'm surprised that I can run way beyond that. I tried several different times to get used to running, and I never could. I would get bad blisters on my feet, and my legs would get tired so quickly, and I would immediately be out of breath. Most of all, my mind constantly got in my way.

I had to go back home for a family emergency, and so I was without my elliptical (which is what I do for cardio). I didn't want to get out of the habit, so I decided to run instead. The first day I walked 7 minutes and then surprisingly ran for 22 minutes without stopping. I had never done that. By the 10th day I was running for 45 minutes straight without stopping. That was just a few weeks ago, and I can now run 5 miles in 60 minutes. I'm quite amazed.

I say all this to encourage you because I never thought I would be able to run, but one day I just decided I had to do it, and it all clicked for me. Don't give up. If it's something you want to do, you will find a way. I think certain people may be more into running, but I think everyone is built to run in one way or another.

Good luck to you!! You can do it!

You're inspiring!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    I did a similar program to C25K except it's called 'Zombies Run 5k training' and it takes 8 weeks to complete. I find the amount you run increases a lot easier than the C25K so I recommend you look into it. The first week starts with 15sec running 1 min walking as opposed to 30 seconds running in C25K.

I was NOT a runner. I hated running, I run outside because I have a weird phobia of treadmills, and I used to have strange panic attacks whenever I had to run where people could see me. I would start to feel faint if people were walking towards me, it was all psychological of course. When I was younger I used to feel faint trying to cross the road because people in their cars would be watching me.

I finished the 5k run a week ago, and have now moved on to the main app and running is my favourite exercise to do. I occasionally feel faint but I've learnt to push through it. I highly recommend continuing on, I finished the course in about 3 months because I was sick for 3 weeks and couldn't run, but the minute I recovered I managed to pick up where I left off.

Basically, I was battling not being able to run at all as well as feeling faint when I ran outside. Now I absolutely loving running thanks to this program. Stick at it! :)

That ap sounds cool, I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the advise! :happy:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

I'm doing it on a treadmill at home (God knows I'm not ready to wobble run in public yet!) & I have slowed down considerably since the last time I tried it. My running blocks are at 7.4k whereas the last time I did it I tried running at 9k. I get really bad case of jelly legs though & it scares me that I might fall off & hurt myself. I'm 1.65m tall (5.4ft) so I don't have a very long stride. Do you think 7.4k is ok or even slower??

If you're not feeling comfortable, then slow down some more. Even though the app is called C25K, it actually more Couch to 30Mins running, regardless of the variation. The Zombies to 5k app is pretty cool, I am planning on picking that one up again soon on my trail runs.

You're better to go a bit too slow and keep running, than to go to fast and burn out. You can work on speed once you finish the program.
  • steviebe75
    steviebe75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Kazza,

Firstly congratulations on trying it as so many people talk themselves out of it before even trying it. I am not what I call a runner but more of a plodder (same consistent pace) I started the C25K last year and kind of changed it about to suit my own goals.
    Yes it hurts but I found listening to music whilst doing it really took my mind off it. I gave myself a target of a half marathon last Sept for Charity so I couldn't back out as was raising money for disabled kids in my area.
    My first few weeks were terrible and I couldn't manage what I wanted to run even though I was trying my best but then as I said earlier my wife told me to try listening to music whilst running so I couldn't hear my breathing (Sounded like a dodgy phone-pest) and this instantly helped.
    Running outdoors no matter how fast or slow is better as you have the breeze etc to help cool you down and you can look at scenery etc all which helps take your mind off the run.
    Make sure you're getting plenty of fluids and the training will get easier in time. Don't get demotivated and keep plodding on. I finnished my half Marathon in 02:22:23 which I was pleased with. Keep up the good work and good luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, anybody can. I spent 41 years as a non-runner, with exercise induced asthma and shin splints and this and that. I picked up the Couch to 5k program while I was at my heaviest (215) and most out of shape and got through it in 9-10 weeks.

A year later I ran a half marathon.

You can do it. You are probably trying to go too fast. Running is a type of gait, not a speed. You can run more slowly than you can walk briskly and that's the speed you should hold yourself to until you're past week 7.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Join this group so that you can get the help and support of all the other non-runners who are successfully changing themselves.
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think you are going too fast. I would also recommend running outside rather than the treadmill that way you can slow down as you need to rather than trying to keep up with the treadmill.

I have completed the C25K twice both outside. The other day I couldn't get out so ran on the treadmill watching TV, found this so difficult and incredibly boring. Running is such a mind game and I find the music, scenery and ability to adjust my pace to how I feel on a given day helps me push through the whole 30min run (and I can't check the clock every 30 secs). I have also found that stopping for longer than 2 days sees me take a huge backwards step. You might want to try go back to the previous level if you have to stop for a week like before.

I also use a running app that will tell me my current pace so I can slow down or quicken up depending on how the legs feel. Once I got my breathing sorted I found running so much more pleasant.

Good luck, I am so not a runner but feel so good now getting out there and giving it my best shot despite how many times I get lapped!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I hated running with a passion. So much that I would avoid it at all costs. Even so much as swimming my PRTs in the military.

A year and a half after running my first 5K, I have completed 2 HMs, the Navy 10 NM and have started training for a Full..and it all started with C25K.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build up endurance with running. Sadly, it won't happen overnight. You have to keep at it. If you have redo another week because you don't feel like you can move on, then so be it. I find that sometimes my bad running days are what is going on in my head, not how my body feels. I say that because I find that a lot of problems people have with running is keeping their head in the game. If you run with a negative frame of mind that you are not going to make it through the program, then you won't. Think yes I can do it. Don't get scared about the longer times. Embrace them and think, hey, I am becoming a strong runner.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options