Fish for fish haters

Options
susanna97
susanna97 Posts: 8 Member
I've always disliked the taste of fish and other seafood. I can handle tuna salad if it has plenty of mayo and celery, but that's about it. I'd really like to expand my food taste, though. This weekend I had a tilapia filet with the Pan Asian sauce at the Bonefish Grill and really liked it - probably because the sauce masked the taste of the fish. :wink: I thought I'd try recreating that one at home. Any suggestions for fish recipes I can easily make that might appeal to someone like me? For now I'd like to stick with fish, before I try to tackle shellfish. Thanks!

Replies

• rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/diet-a-exercise/the-best-fish-for-fish-haters
    http://www.pinterest.com/violetsilverlin/fish-for-someone-who-hates-fish/

Oh hello there friend. I personally think you should just eat fish until you love it because it is amazing, but I guess that hasn't worked for me and lettuce..so here are some sites to look at. Do you hate the taste, smell or texture. Please expand!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm a seafood hater, too. I find that most of my hate for it has to do with the smell rather than the taste or texture. So, if I can't smell it when I'm eating it, it's fine.

Have you tried salmon patties/burgers? If prepared with the right seasoning, the smell isn't that offensive at all. Even I can eat them without no problem, and kind of like them.
  • beckap325
    beckap325 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Marinating the fish in spices with lots of lemon juice helps mask the smell. Sometimes it also helps cooking it with something else that is quite fragrant such as dill, mustard, or orange marmalade (not together, of course!). Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    If you like strongly flavoured asian sauces, try my mom's recipe for ginger and onion contact fried fish:

Fish (I use tilapia fillets, but my mom would use whole carp)
    A cubic inch of ginger
    A bunch of spring onions
    a few glugs of soy sauce
    a lemon
    a pinch of sugar
    a splash of sake or vermouth
    a quarter cup vegetable oil

Finely dice the ginger and spring onions and set aside. This can be done a few hours in advance. If doing in advance store ginger under the diced spring onions so it doesn't discolor or dry out. When you want to eat poach or microwave the fish until cooked through. Arrange fish on a deep serving dish and cover with the ginger and spring onions (this means you don't have to worry about breaking the fish). Then throw on the soy sauce, juice of a lemon. a splash of the alcohol and a pinch of sugar. Carry the dish to the table. Heat the oil in a small saucepan until just smoking (ie as hot as you can get it). Then carefully pour over the fish to blend the flavors of the herb mixture. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling sounds.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can handle fish as long as it's not the oily, fishy tasting kind. I also love shellfish: crab, scallops, shrimp and lobster, yum!

Stick to white fish and you shouldn't have too much trouble. I will eat tilapia, cod, halibut and ono (a fish from Hawaii also known as wahoo). Ono is actually very, very good. It's really mild and firm and makes an excellent beer battered fish for fish and chips. Any of those types of fish should work really well in recipes because they don't really have a lot of flavor of their own so breading or sauces will mask any fishiness.

I like to make fish tacos with tilapia or ono. Bake or grill the fish then put a few ounces in small corn or flour tortillas, add some shredded green cabbage, diced tomatoes and a white sauce made with lime juice and Greek yogurt. Very tasty!
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm not a fish lover but I've found ways to tolerate really mild fish like tilapia, halibut, and cod.

I really like fish tacos. By the time you season it and shred it up....and hide it in a tortilla under a load of toppings....you almost think you're eating chicken.

Breading it with almonds or cornflakes or salt & vinegar chips is very good.

Or season it with Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper and then wrap it in bacon.

Yeah, I'm all about disguising that fish as much as possible. :D Other seafood - shrimp, scallops, lobster, crab, etc. - I could eat every day (but it's crazy expensive).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    a meat called chicken
  • susanna97
    Options
    http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/diet-a-exercise/the-best-fish-for-fish-haters
    http://www.pinterest.com/violetsilverlin/fish-for-someone-who-hates-fish/

Oh hello there friend. I personally think you should just eat fish until you love it because it is amazing, but I guess that hasn't worked for me and lettuce..so here are some sites to look at. Do you hate the taste, smell or texture. Please expand!

It's usually both the taste and the smell. I'm okay with the texture when I can pretend it's just really flaky chicken!
  • susanna97
    Options
    I can handle fish as long as it's not the oily, fishy tasting kind. I also love shellfish: crab, scallops, shrimp and lobster, yum!

Stick to white fish and you shouldn't have too much trouble. I will eat tilapia, cod, halibut and ono (a fish from Hawaii also known as wahoo). Ono is actually very, very good. It's really mild and firm and makes an excellent beer battered fish for fish and chips. Any of those types of fish should work really well in recipes because they don't really have a lot of flavor of their own so breading or sauces will mask any fishiness.

I like to make fish tacos with tilapia or ono. Bake or grill the fish then put a few ounces in small corn or flour tortillas, add some shredded green cabbage, diced tomatoes and a white sauce made with lime juice and Greek yogurt. Very tasty!

The tacos sound delicious! I haven't heard of ono. I'll have to look for that on my next shopping trip. Thanks!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! bump for info :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've been successfully encouraging my son to eat fish, so I have a few tips!

Some fish are more "meaty" rather than "fishy": tuna and swordfish steaks, for instance. Some of the other oily fish seem to have a inbetween taste (to me), which again is less of a fish taste. I normally buy frozen mackerel because it's relatively cheap, and my son loves it grilled.

He is less keen on white fish, so I will tend to use asian flavourings and serve with noodles/rice/etc, rather than using traditional recipes.

Personally, I feel that really fresh fish is a completely different experience to supermarket fish, so if you can find and afford good quality fresh fish, give it a try!
  • chelsealfinn
    chelsealfinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ta-dah!

The actual recipe for the pan Asian sauce: http://www.bonefishgrill.com/BehindTheScenes/sauces-pan-asian-sauce

They have their other sauce recipes on their website as well.

Active time: 30 minutes
    Servings: 8

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup minced ginger
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup oyster sauce
    3 tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 tbsp. coarsely chopped cilantro

Directions
    1. In a medium sauce pan, sautee the minced ginger in the olive oil until fragrant.
    2. In a bowl, thoroughly combine the soy sauce, ketchup, oyster sauce, lemon juice and water and add to sauté pan.
    3. Bring the mixture to a slow boil, then slowly add sugar over low-med heat for about 5 minutes.
    4. If desired, add a little hot water to the sauce to thin it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I don't like liver which is why I don't eat it. There's no real reason to eat fish if you don't like it to begin with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • janelavalley
    janelavalley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just found the most delicious way to cook raw shrimp..I steam them on a rack with a little water on the bottom I flavor the water with a lot of Mrs. Dash Garlic and herbs seasoning. Steam for 2 minutes or until pink and curled. The flavor is great and easy to do. I like easy and fast...........
  • KLB325
    KLB325 Posts: 17
    Options
    tiplapia doesn't have the fishy smell or taste. It's fairly bland tho so you'll need to spice it up. Personally, I favor the Icelandic salmon from Whole Foods. I don't know why it's different than other salmon, maybe because it's not full of chemicals, bit Iove it,
    Also, you might like smoked salmon too. The smokey takes over the flavor. Every store is different, some drier that others. I don't know where you are but I think the best is at Sendik's.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love salmon ceviche ( or any ceviche,really). Ceviche or poke salad have much less fishy flavor than cooked fish. Also, always get the freshest fish. Not fresh is awful. Never overcook. Slightly undercooked is preferable. Over cooked will develop more fishy flavor.
    Cod,flounder, halibut, sea bass and fresh water walleye/bass/crappy have milder, more delicate flavors. Fattier fish have stronger flavor and taste better either lightly seared or in a raw preparation.
    Try an Asian grocery for the best fresh fish unless you have a real fish market. They will clean and filet fish for you.
    I'm not a huge fan of tilapia, it always taste a bit like catfish to me. But, I'm a fish lover so I'll eat most any fish except some of the really strong tasting ones that Asians sometimes like.
    Fatty fish is very good for you so if you can find one you like, it would be good to eat a few times a week. I prefer pickled herring, ceviche or poke salad. I also love me some fresh tuna or salmon sushi. Way less fishy that way!
    Smoked salmon is wonderful! If you have a Whole Foods or live near Seattle you can get some amazing smoked salmon or halibut.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    tiplapia doesn't have the fishy smell or taste. It's fairly bland tho so you'll need to spice it up. Personally, I favor the Icelandic salmon from Whole Foods. I don't know why it's different than other salmon, maybe because it's not full of chemicals, bit Iove it,
    Also, you might like smoked salmon too. The smokey takes over the flavor. Every store is different, some drier that others. I don't know where you are but I think the best is at Sendik's.
    I love seafood and fish.

I hate tilapia. It tastes like dirt.