Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If it's Diet Dr. Pepper, then I say. "Yay!" and "Yea!"

Check my ticker. Has a Diet Dr. Pepper a day kept me from losing weight?
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    drinks the diet coke... :bigsmile:
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation as they say, but the prevailing theory is that even if a diet soda doesn't have calories or sugar, it sort of "tricks" your metabolism into thinking that it's getting sugar, so your body's natural tendency to burn fat doesn't kick in like it should.

I'm not a scientist. I couldn't make heads or tails of any given data on the subject, but that's what I understand from what I've read on the subject.

That being said, I can offer this as my personal observation.

I underwent Weight Loss Surgery a couple of months ago. I haven't had a soda in nearly 3 months now. What I have noticed for myself is that I tend to lose more weight every week drinking plain water than I do drinking sugar-free Kool-Aid...

Real, imaginary, or just coincidental, I can't say, but I find drinking plain water almost intolerable, so I'll stick with what gets me through.

It's *so* weird for me now to have gone from a massive diet soda addict pre-surgery (I owned 4 soda makers, 2 different brands) to a guy who hasn't had, and doesn't really miss soda at all.

Wayne
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yay. The Diet Dew has helped with the gym as I drink it on my way to workout due to its copious amounts of caffeine. My drive is fairly long

Other than that I keep diet crush and diet ginger ale in the house and also use water enhancers and those drink mixes in a pouch. The only times I drink straight up water would be when working out
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yay, for the fizz, the caffeine and the aspartame!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like diet soda. It tastes sweet, and it's an easy switch.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Explain to me how a zero calorie drink makes you gain weight? I seem to have lost weight fine. .. All things in moderation

When you eat or drink artificial sweeteners your body interprets the sweet taste as sugar and therefore expects an energy rush but when it doesn't happen some people can get extreme cravings for high fat or high sugar foods to compensate for the lack of energy received from the drinks which can lead to overeating which is what causes weight gain rather than anything actually in the drink.

OK, but then its not the diet soda that is making you gain, its whatever you are eating from those cravings that actually have calories. A zero calorie product will not make you gain weight...
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day. I don't miss regular soda. But I am a fat craver, not a sugar craver.
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Isn't it meant to be *yea* or nay? What's with all these weird "yay"s...

But anyway - I'm all for diet drinks. Partial to a cold Pepsi Max and/or 7up.
  • SandNSaltWater
    Options
    Yea for coke zero
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    pepsi max - yay but only on occasion
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Explain to me how a zero calorie drink makes you gain weight? I seem to have lost weight fine. .. All things in moderation

When you eat or drink artificial sweeteners your body interprets the sweet taste as sugar and therefore expects an energy rush but when it doesn't happen some people can get extreme cravings for high fat or high sugar foods to compensate for the lack of energy received from the drinks which can lead to overeating which is what causes weight gain rather than anything actually in the drink.

OK, but then its not the diet soda that is making you gain, its whatever you are eating from those cravings that actually have calories. A zero calorie product will not make you gain weight...

Yup. Grapes cause me to eat massive quantities of grapes and other foods. Therefore grapes are bad :sad:
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    To me its a "drink whatever you want!" :)

I used to drink one diet pepsi every morning. Now I pretty much only drink water. But it wasn't a conscious decision, just something that happened when I moved and no longer wanted to spend the money on it lol
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    lost over 100lbs drinking diet soda daily. Why cut out everything you enjoy?
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Soda, diet or otherwise, is more like that of a treat, like a desert if you will, for me. If I am going to drink something, I'd rather drink water anyway - why take on calories that do nothing for you? Diet Soda, IMO, tastes awful - in that case I'd rather chew gum or have a tic tac.

But when I do drink a Coke, it better damn well have an ounce or two of Captain topped with a lime.

bahaha this is so great! Agree with the captain with a lime! :P

I don't believe diet drinks make you gain weight in the long run. some say it triggers you to crave salty foods and indulge in unnecessary eating, which could be true, but I think it's all in your mind. I drink a diet coke everyday and nothing happens to me!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Yay for me! Although I've cut back from one a day to only 1-2x a week.

As for diet soda being a "gateway" to regular soda (I know it was a joke, but want to address anyway), I can't actually drink regular soda anymore. It's way too sweet and I'm someone with a sweet tooth.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Having more calories than you burn makes you gain weight, not diet sodas.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I want a giant, foam Periodic Table to slap some of you people with
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's OK every now and then.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nay--no reason to put chemicals in my body. And for me....diet drinks...Splenda and AS in general cause me to crave food. Good ole water.
    Same here :)
    You get that water is a chemical, right.?

I get so sick of people saying "no chemicals" when EVERYTHING we eat/drink is made up of chemicals. Science....some people just don't get it.
    I want a giant, foam Periodic Table to slap some of you people with

I laughed.