Over my daily protein goal

Options
does anybody know how this will affect my weight loss success?
I'm always way under my fat and calorie goals but over my protein and sometimes my carbs.

tips? info? anything is much appreciated!

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It will help you. Proteins are the building blocks for muscle. Muscle burns fat! You'll be fine!

Hope that helps!
  • nll002
    nll002 Posts: 18
    Options
    carbs fuel the body for a workout and protein helps your muscles recover afterwards. As long as you are working out, I don't think there's any such thing as "too much"!
  • Lefroy
    Lefroy Posts: 3
    Options
    Protein builds muscle mass and therefore increases metabolic rate (which helps burn fat more effectively) so I'm not sure if on this system it will make any major difference. I am also over my protein.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    try to eat balanced but if your body is craving more protein and carbs, there's probly a reason for it. Just make sure to drink your water and don't eat too much protein all the time because it is hard on your kidneys at some point.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No, there is no such thing as too much protein! (At least as long as you are within your limits). There is no evidence that too much protein hurts you kidneys.

Read the first myth in this article: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/15-worst-health-diet-myths
  • gethealthyincali
    Options
    You can customize it to show different percentages if you are ok with the percentages and just worry about the charting. There are many different eating plans out there that are slightly different ratios than this one, so as long as you don't get too extreme it's fine. I'm always going over on protein so I'm changing my numbers slightly but I am keeping the fat high as I need to swing over more to Mediterrean style eating with olive oil, etc.
  • chilipeppers
    Options
    awesome, thanks a lot everyone, that makes me feel better.

I've been going to the gym 4 times a week and hopefully on my off days i would like to get some exercise in there somewhere.
  • ozSeptember
    Options
    As people have said you can adjust your goals/percentages between carbs, protein and fat. Too much of anything can be bad, just depends on what the body does with excess. Although too much protein will more likely be less bad than carbs and definitely not as bad as too much fat.

I did read somewhere, if you are wishing to build muscle then your protein should be twice your body weight and I think to maintain muscle mass then the protein intake should equal your body weight.

e.g body weight 60kg then protein 60 grams or 120 grams, depending on what your aim is.

Cheers

PS I'm no expert, but it seems those that claim to be an expert are still playing the guessing game on how the human diet should be.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I always go over on protein the only reason I track it is to make sure I am getting enough. I dont go over on carbs but I always go over on fiber too. I assume that fiber and protein are ok to go over
  • Sunflowergirl1
    Sunflowergirl1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to be consistently under your calorie goal. That is the one goal you should meet as often as possible.