Question For Those Who Weigh Themselves Daily

Options
I'm not really looking to discuss how often to weigh yourself, or wether daily is better than weekly etc. I do it once a day and it works for me. However I do have a question for other people who weigh themselves everyday. Firstly I am VERY consistent-- I weigh myself at the same time in the morning after I go to the bathroom, and have the same diet/ water intake. I never get numbers that bounce up and down but I still don't like the inconsistency of the numbers.

As opposed to dropping like 0.1-0.2 per day it's very sporadic. For example I will be at 153.4 for like 4 days and then suddenly drop to 152.5 then stay there for maybe 6 days and drop to 151.1. Does this happen to anyone else? Is my scale just ****ty?

If it helps here is a screenshot of my progress:
http://imgur.com/DD9jDlP
http://imgur.com/BoKFdgL

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    very normal. its water weight

its not just diet that effects water retention, stress, exercise, environmental factors, sleeping patterns all play a role. thats why you have to look at trends over time not just day to day weight
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    ^yup.

Mine did the same thing in weight loss. Sometimes, it goes up a p o in or two as well and then goes back down. Ah, the scale. Ever will I hate you. Take measurements too! And pictures! They'll be more telling when the scale is being mean! ;)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes it goes through phases where it stays the exact same for days, other times it fluctuates rapidly.

:sad:
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yup, mine does that too. I weigh daily but only log my weight on Friday's. I weigh first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom and before I get dressed. If I've had something salty or soda I know for sure the number will be higher the next day.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yep same here, must be totally normal. Wouldn't worry about it.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not going to be linear, you can't expect to lose .1 or .2 pounds everyday to end up at a 1 pound per week loss.

It is perfectly normal to not lose anything or even see an increase from day to day. Most people shouldn't weigh everyday because of this. If you do weigh everyday take your weekly average at the end of the week and eventually you should see a trend that is going down.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    From my experience I'd have to agree. It's normal all things considered. I can flucuate a lot day to day whether I consume a lot or very little...no rhyme or reason.... Yea it's frustrating to see it bounce around at times but as long as I'm the same a week later in maintenance or down if trying to lower all is good!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My weight for any given week fluctuates up and down daily for that week. Not huge fluctuations, usually less than 1 lb, then I'll randomly see a big drop. On Saturdays, I average the daily weights and enter it into a separate spreadsheet. It allows me to see my weekly trends better and is more accurate than depending on a single weight for that week. (I enter my daily weight into MFP)
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    yep im usually at a pound loss for a day, will shoot up to 2-3 pounds up, then suddenly be four pounds down when all is said and done. it's odd but as long as the big picture/general trend is moving the the right direction, i dont stress about it.

my weights for the past two weeks:

Weight 6/24/2014 132.7 lbs

Weight 6/23/2014 134.5 lbs

Weight 6/22/2014 131.4 lbs

Weight 6/21/2014 131.8 lbs

Weight 6/20/2014 132.3 lbs

Weight 6/19/2014 132.3 lbs

Weight 6/18/2014 133.6 lbs

Weight 6/17/2014 132.9 lbs

Weight 6/16/2014 133.6 lbs

Weight 6/15/2014 134.9 lbs

not worried about it because i am now bouncing around 131-135, rather than bouncing around 133-137 as i was two weeks ago - so i can see a difference and itll all keep slowly going down eventually. i track every day just for personal interest BTW.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Very, very normal. As long as the overall trend is going in the direction you want, you're doing great!
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It's normal. One day I will weigh 129 and two days later 132. Depends one what you eat, how much sodium you've had, how much water you've been drinking, and work outs. I'm sure there are a ton of other reasons, but I'm not a Dr. :) I just know why mine goes up and down. Drives me crazy some days, but I'm a daily weigher and sticking to it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mine can go up for a few days and then drop. Friday-Sunday I was holding steady at one weight. Today I'm two and a half pounds down from that. Since I started strength training this month and was hitting TOM, this was pretty expected.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get my graph out of my blog, but didn't quite manage. You can see 6 months of daily weigh-ins here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nelinelineli

After one year of daily weigh-ins I can assure you the scales are going to go up and down by over 5lbs, even overnight. Some periods, they show the exact same number for a whole week, some others - they bounce up and down in a chaotic manner.

Muscle inflammation, hormonal factors, weather, meal timing, size, sodium, potassium content, alcohol consumption... they all "chime in". I suggest using a site like Trendweight.com to help you plot the average weight, which is the closest you'll get to estimating the "real" weight, as low and high values are equally deceiving. You may be dehydrated today, bloated tomorrow :)

As for the "laddered" profile, that's a well-observed effect (you can see it in my weigh-ins as well - "plateaus" followed by drastic drops). As far as I know there aren't any definite explanations for why that happens, but it's definitely "a thing" :)
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes.....same for me.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am completely obsessed with scale, the only reason I weigh every day. I do it at exactly the same time, etc. I do bounce up and down but not by much. I also plateau. My longest was two weeks. All that said, I pay much more attention to my trending weight than the daily numbers. If you use the Reports here you can see your weight loss over time and it is much more satisfying to see that than the every day up one down two routine.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I track everyday too because I travel a lot and am never guaranteed to be home the same day each week to record my weight (not to mention, what is that's a really bad day one week or a really good day). I like to see an average, or a trend if you will. My weight can fluctuate up to 2.5lbs for what appears to be no rhyme or reason.

Charlene
  • skaterickets
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies! I'm just so surprised that my water weight or whatever it is, will retain for like 4 days and then drastically drop... but it's good to hear there isn't anything wrong.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Lots of reason your weight will fluctuate daily - water weight, food still digesting, etc...

If the fluctuations bother you AND you have an iPhone - I'd suggest the app: Happy Scale

It is specifically for daily (or frequent) weighers - once you have a number of entries it will offer you the option to use "predicted weight" and it uses a mathematical equation to predict your actual weight and erase the fluctuations.
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, my weight changes like that too-It can stick for several days and then drop three pounds or it may go up four pounds over night. I weigh every day but I actually track my daily weigh-ins on an app I saw suggested on one of the boards (can't remember who it was that suggested it now)-Libra. It actually takes the daily weigh-ins and makes a trendline on the graph for you and I know as long as my trend line is heading down I am ok, even if my weight sticks at the same place for a couple of days.