Non-runners success with C25K???

Options

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Another "you go girl" from me. I was about 212 when I did C25K and now I'm down almost to goal and running 10K every Saturday. It took time and the bravery to step out the door every single time, but it's SO worth it. I can now run in daylight! Where people can see me! LOL!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May 2013 also comfortably over 200#. I second the recommendation to run outside. When you are outside and you need to stop the ground underneath you doesn't keep moving like the belt on the treadmill does, so it eliminates some of the fear of falling (I totally get that). Also you control your speed - if you need to slow down or want to speed up you can do that instantaneously without having to hit buttons or wait for the treadmill to respond. I started out running at a track, early in the morning where there would be few witnesses, before I got comfortable enough to run on the road. I was a non-runner/non-athlete for 44 years before I started. Saturday I ran my first half marathon. The first time I ran 5K it took me longer than it would have to walk it, but I jogged every step.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting started... C25K is meant for non-runners, so believe that you can do it and most likely you'll get there.

For me, I started C25K in January 2012... I was 307 pounds, 42 years old and hadn't run more than about 50 feet at a stretch in, oh, about 25 years.

In short, it changed my life. Since that day, I've now run countless 5K races, several 10ks, five 10 milers, five Half Marathons and I'm training for my first full marathon. In total, I've run over 2000 miles!

None of that would have been possible without C25K.

The one thing about C25K that I disagree with is the idea that from no running at all, you can get to running 5K in 30 minutes after just 9 weeks of training. That is too fast of a pace for most people to maintain for that long. I think perhaps 25% of people can do that - and those are usually NOT the people who were truly couch potatoes - just beginning runners.

For the rest of us, a 30minute 5K is a longer term goal. I eventually got one 30 minute 5K completed (ONE!) - and that was 10 months after I started running and I had just finished training for a half marathon - I was in the best shape of my life at that point, and just barely beat 30 minutes (29:46).

Here are my recommendations for C25K...

1. Forget about your pace... if it is too hard to complete the intervals at the pace you are running, slow down - and then slow down some more.

2. Be sure you take the prescribed rest days. Especially as a new runner, you need to give your body time to rest and recover between runs. The body actually gains strength on the rest days when muscle and tissue are rebuilt after being torn down a bit by the workout.

3. If a run feels too hard, see rule #1 above.

4. The program is designed to be challenging... but you will be amazed by how quickly your body will respond. My recommendation is NOT to be too cautious about progressing from one week to the next. If you are able to complete all of the workouts in a given week - even if they felt hard - then you are ready to move on, in my opinion. Week 1 shouldn't feel easy before you move on to week 2. If you can complete week 1 (even if it feels hard) then you are ready to move to week 2. If you go back to week 1 after completing week 2, it will feel much easier. The same with Week 2 after week 3, etc.

5. If a given workout or week feels too hard, see rule #1 above.

6. There is no pace that is too slow. Run at a pace that you can maintain for the running intervals in that workout. "Running" isn't about going a particular speed, it is about the mechanical motion of running (as distinct from walking). If you are moving yourself forward with a motion that has both feet off the ground for part of the time, then you are running.

7. When you think you can't slow down any more, you can - and still be running.

8. Finally... and this is critical... beyond the first 4 or 5 weeks, much of the challenge becomes mental. The body adapts a lot faster than the mind for most of us. Yes, you CAN do this! Your mind will tell you that you can't. Initially, you have to ignore it and tell it who is in charge. Eventually your mind will learn that you can run, and everything will start to come together, but those initial longer running intervals will be a challenge because you may not believe you can do it... you CAN.

Overall, my message is SLOW DOWN and trust the program.

C25K has worked for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people by now. It is a very well designed program.

Pay attention to your body and take the prescribed rest days and in a few weeks you will be on your way to running.

Good luck!

Ted
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i started as a complete non runner, i wouldn't even run for the bus if i was late

I'm on week 7 now, last night i ran for 25 minuets without stopping and when i got to the end i didn't feel like i was going to die, i didn't feel like my lungs were on fire, i just felt amazing, i felt like i'd won

i think i redid week 1 about 4 times before i managed to move on to week 2, then i had to redo week 4 twice, but since then i've been on a good streak and not had to redo a week again

when you say you are struggling, what part are you finding hard? is it your breathing or your legs or something else?

also what are you using to do it? i started trying to use the C25k Apps for my phone but never really got with them, then i tried the C25K podcasts from the NHS and they were brilliant
  • attonconrad
    Options
    I HATED running. c25k and a year later and i love it. Never thought i would. Slow and steady progress to begin with and then when your breathing and pace combine with a good run day its tough but enjoyable.

If you're struggling, REALLY reduce your speed, its about building your endurance in the early stages.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's all about attitude! I used to be a non-runner too, hated it in fact, but as soon as you lace up your shoes and go on a run, you ARE a runner. Stop considering yourself as a non-runner now, because you've already done what many people can't do no matter how hard they try!

It took me two times through the c25k before I finally stuck with running. Now I run at my own pace, and I take walking breaks whereever I need. One thing that has really helped me is having an app that tracks how far you run, your times for each mile, your average mile time, etc. I use that as a way to track my improvement. Everyday I notice myself getting faster and being able to endure farther lengths!

The key behind enjoying running is finding why you do it. Find out your motivation and it will help you keep going! I like running because it clears my mind, gives me a little endorphin rush and makes me feel good when I reach my goals.

And even if I dont reach my goals, I'm still proud of myself just for going on a run.

My advice: stay with it. Find what YOU love about running, and remind yourself of that every time you go for run. Make it a habit, not just a c25k program that you are trying to finish. Just enjoy it! :)
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I just finished my first C25K workout this morning. I'm 6'2", 250lbs. I've never been a runner but I'm giving it a try. The first session turned out better than I thought, particularly considering that I'm still recovering from beach volleyball I played on Saturday (banged up a knee and fighting overall leg soreness).
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I loathed running myself. I was a tad over 250lbs when I started (and I'm only 5' 3"), so you can imagine how much I hated it at first. The first day I nearly cried and never thought I'd enjoy it, but I had signed up for a 5K a few months out so I knew I had to do it. For the better part of a year, I did my runs on the treadmill because outside running was SO hard for me. But I did my 5K, and then I did a second one a few months later. By then I was down to 160lbs and it was much easier than I had remembered the previous 5K so I decided to start running outside (this was only about 2 months ago). Now I can run for 45mins straight, and I've run over 4 miles at a time so far, training for my first 10K. I'm SLOW, but I DO get the runner's high and I feel amazing when I run. It took a long time for me, and carrying less weight helped but it did happen (doesn't usually take as long, and I imagine a lot of folks would have given up but I'm stubborn lol).

So, yes, SLOW DOWN A LOT, and chances are good you will eventually enjoy it. Of course, not everyone is a runner and that's okay too, just find something you like I say!
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love the couch to 5k. did it the first time last year and had to go slow. Repeated it if I felt I couldn't go up in level, and just did the best I could! I was running for 30 minutes straight and doing great until I hurt my knee last fall in a small motorcycle accident.
    Just started over a couple months ago, and keep having to back track and redo levels as I have not been consistent.
    But DONT STOP. Modify, keep trying! You can do it! I listen to a story on Audible, or listen to music at the same time. My C25K app is on the APP Run Double. It will let me listen to the story or music, then come in over the music/story to tell me when to run and when to walk. I LoVE it.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was a total nonrunner and completed C25k program. Some days were hard, however, I could do the next day, I kept going. I have since done several half marathons and am currently training for a full marathon. For me, it was mostly a mind game. I had to convince myself that I could do it. Don't be afraid to slow down. I think I started off running too fast.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I will add, look up parkrun ( www.parkrun.com )
    I don't know if you're in the US (very few) or in the UK (a lot of them) or elsewhere.
    If there is a parkrun close by, go to it!!!!
    If it's anything like parkrun in Aus you will find people of ALL levels there, those that can blitz the track to those that walk that track and can take 1hr+ to finish 5km. The amazing thing is, that those that blitz the track are usually still there to cheer on those who take an hour + and if it's an out an back or loop track that see's you crossing paths, your arm gets tired from all the high 5's!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you're not feeling comfortable, then slow down some more. Even though the app is called C25K, it actually more Couch to 30Mins running, regardless of the variation. The Zombies to 5k app is pretty cool, I am planning on picking that one up again soon on my trail runs.

You're better to go a bit too slow and keep running, than to go to fast and burn out. You can work on speed once you finish the program.

This.
    I was a non-runner. I'd tried to learn to run a few times over the years but with no success. About 2 years ago I thought I'd give it one last try and found C25K. I now run 3x a week, at least 5K, and enjoy it.

The key of this program is to run slow. If you are having difficulties, slow down some more. The idea is to run the time; not the distance. Speed will come with time....usually after the program.

While training I found this group on MFP that is very active and supportive: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Hang in there. You can do this.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner at all but decided I can do the couch to 5k. I keep telling myself that some people are built better for running but that doesn't mean I am not capable of running. I am on week 2 day 2 of the couch to 5k. I have told myself if it is too hard, I will do week 2 twice, week 3 twice and so on. Some of us need a little more practice than others
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on a treadmill at home (God knows I'm not ready to wobble run in public yet!) & I have slowed down considerably since the last time I tried it. My running blocks are at 7.4k whereas the last time I did it I tried running at 9k. I get really bad case of jelly legs though & it scares me that I might fall off & hurt myself. I'm 1.65m tall (5.4ft) so I don't have a very long stride. Do you think 7.4k is ok or even slower??

Slower. While training, I started at about 5.8K/hr and ended around 6.1K/hr. I may be slower than you and you may find your comfort level to be faster than mine but 7.4K/hr is too quick for the beginning of C25K.

A simple test is to speak while running. If you can speak a short sentence without effort, you're doing okay. If it takes effort or you can't finish the sentence, you're going too fast.

Don't worry about going out in public. It's always hard at first. You feel that everyone is staring at you and laughing. They aren't. Everyone I've met, even when I wobbled and tottered and stumbled along, was friendly and encouraging.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    I was a total non-runner (and smoker to boot!) when I started a c25k programme. Started in February 2013, struggled running for even 30seconds. It was cold, it was dark, it was miserable. But I kept at it, and by early May I'd completed the programme. I did my first 5k race at the end of May, and as it was part of a series I did 3 more over the summer. By August, I'd shaved off 4 mins from my 5k time - and more importantly I'd caught the running/racing bug.

Fast forward to today. I've lost 20lbs, and packed in smoking. I've ran in 30 parkruns, 5 5k races, 3 10k races (4th this weekend), a half marathon and I'm now training for a full marathon in September. That'll be near enough 18 months, going from huffing and puffing at less than a minute ran, to running for over 4 hours and 26 miles. If that's not success, I don't know what is :)

If you're finding it difficult, don't be afraid to go slower. slow your pace down, right down, to as slow as you can run without walking. Hell, even slower than walking if you want. Speed doesn't play a part, just getting out there and running is what's important.

Also don't be afraid to repeat weeks. My c25k plan was 9 weeks long, I took 11, as I had to repeat a couple of weeks. There's nothing wrong with it and it more often than not helps you to be a stronger runner.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a non runner before C25K, it took me two attempts to get through it, and finding parkrun definitely helped me with keeping up with the running.

I am now a Runner, no two ways about it. I'm running 3-4 times a week, averaging around 30km/19miles as I now work through the Bridge to 10K program.

I suffered during program, days where I swear I was running slower than I could walk. Days where I had to tell myself on x minutes until I get a break. I swear some days I almost jogged on the spot, but I persevered, made it through and kept running. I am ever so glad I did.

The biggest tip you will get from pretty much everyone who has been through the program, or is an experienced runner is SLOW DOWN. If you feel good, still slow down. You'll get through it and you'll feel better for it.

I'm doing it on a treadmill at home (God knows I'm not ready to wobble run in public yet!) & I have slowed down considerably since the last time I tried it. My running blocks are at 7.4k whereas the last time I did it I tried running at 9k. I get really bad case of jelly legs though & it scares me that I might fall off & hurt myself. I'm 1.65m tall (5.4ft) so I don't have a very long stride. Do you think 7.4k is ok or even slower??

You should be going slow enough to hold a conversation.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I did the Zombie C25k as well...it's hysterical. Laughing while running is good. And once you get past the 5k part, you can do the whole zombie running app which is also fun.
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    I will add, look up parkrun ( www.parkrun.com )
    I don't know if you're in the US (very few) or in the UK (a lot of them) or elsewhere.
    If there is a parkrun close by, go to it!!!!
    If it's anything like parkrun in Aus you will find people of ALL levels there, those that can blitz the track to those that walk that track and can take 1hr+ to finish 5km. The amazing thing is, that those that blitz the track are usually still there to cheer on those who take an hour + and if it's an out an back or loop track that see's you crossing paths, your arm gets tired from all the high 5's!!!

I'm in New Zealand :smile:
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Thanks everyone, all this advise has been very encouraging.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that's had to stretch out the program by a few weeks. I will readjust my speed; it seems that's likely to be part of the issue. Also a few of you made a comment that its a mental push as well. I do agree I need to get my head in the game more than what it is; change the 'I cant' to an 'I can'. I will keep plodding & post again in a few weeks to let you know how I'm going.

Kaz :drinker:
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I completed it when I was 235lbs. I repeated weeks a few times. The official website for couch to 5k explicitly tells you to do that if you need to. Move ahead only when you feel ready.

If you are struggling with the early weeks, you might need to slow down during the running portions if you really can't break through. I think when I completed it the first time, I was running 14min/mile and found that I could walk the same speed as I could run.