Exercise

Can you include general day to day walking in your exercise diary? Like walking around the house or to the shops,etc. It says for 60 minutes overall you burn around 200 kcal but I don't know if this is true or not. Does that seem right?

Replies

• scarletrayne19
    scarletrayne19 Posts: 35 Member
    From my understanding the day to day stuff is what you use to determine your daily activity level. For example, I work in a chemistry lab and I'm on my feet for at least part of the day (not to mention walking a couple blocks to and from the bus stop for transportation) so I put mine as "lightly active." Now when I go to the gym in the afternoons I log that as exercise. That's the set-up I've deduced from lurking around the forums the past couple of weeks lol.
  • Lila204
    Lila204 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks so much that's really helpfull!x
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I would consider that more of activity level. Exercise is what you go out to specifically do, extra work, etc. For example, I walk 4 miles every Saturday & Sunday. That's walking I specifically set time for and do. I wouldn't consider walking around the house, doing chores, etc exercise, because that's considered daily living. I'm not going out of my way to specifically do them.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    I agree with the other responses. You are describing your activity level and if you selected correctly when setting up your profile and goals was not factored in how much excercise you need to accomplish. :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    While walking can be a legitimate form of exercise, but just walking around in general taking care of your day to day is/should be included in your activity level.

When I started back into fitness, I did so with just walking...but it was a very deliberate activity for which I put walking shoes on and went out and walked at a pretty good clip for an extended period of time in an effort to improve my cardiovascular fitness...I logged that as exercise because it was a deliberate effort to get up and do something beyond my daily norm and it was done with a deliberate level of effort for a deliberate period of time. Just milling around the house taking care of your daily is already accounted for in your calorie goals and isn't deliberate exercise.