I'm in an abusive relationship.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    My best advice: DON'T LOOK BACK.

People really don't change and if you sense they are being nice to you to help "keep" you around.............it's a scam.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    alot of people are misunderstanding op's post, its about breaking up with a negative attitude not her husband (whom she mentions is very supportive)

kudos to you, getting rid of that mentality is the toughest thing one can do, im still fighting for it

Yes, I got it because I read the whole post. I wonder if people just read the first paragraph and assumed it was a man.

OP - Congrats on realizing you need to love yourself! That alone will make you a healthier person! You are awesome and don't forget that!
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I love a happy ending! :flowerforyou:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It's all about learning to forgive yourself... and deciding to settle for what you deserve. THE KEY is to understand that YOU are always a work in progress, the minute you stop moving forward is the minute you start settling for less than you deserve. I would like to contratulate the OP for her insight... I think she definitely has gotten it.. and I think thart is her point.. her "AHA moment.

I know for me it too was about seeing within me a cycle of abuse... I would go out and drink too much, or eat too much... or something too much.. so that I could sit and loathe myself for days... for weeks... then I would start all over again...

in fact I think I began a new cycle just like a few days ago... currently pondering taking a week away from work outs and dieting... for what reason? I have no idea.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Well said. I am in the same type of relationship... its time I broke it off.☆★☆★☆
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Can completely relate to this. I've been being a lot kinder to myself these past few months cause it's sucks hating yourself all the time. I've felt a lot more positive since changing my outlook and I try look for things I like about myself rather than dislike but then I do have the occasional times like today where I feel crappy about myself but trying not to let it get me down.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.
  • 867Jen5309
    867Jen5309 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    love it!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was JUST writing about this on my feed today. I look back on the number of times I made a joking reference about my "giant *kitten*" or my "big fat belly" and hated myself just a little bit more for it. Yes, I was overweight. But from this vantage point I look back and LOVE myself as I was then. I wasn't any less of a hard worker or loving wife or caring mom a year ago. And if I can love who I was then, I can love myself now even though I'm not where I want to be fitness-wise quite yet.

And when you love yourself more I think you find a well of caring within yourself that you can share with others more easily.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I got where this was going, but it's still an awesome post! I'm sick of picking at myself, too. If I don't have my back, who will?
  • mookieats
    mookieats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi5
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    JBU.....wif yoself
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Learning to love and respect ourselves can be a challenge - taking a stand like this is a fantastic opportunity to begin the journey of healing. I really enjoyed reading this - we are much too critical of ourselves!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    well said... it is definitely time to get rid of the negativity.. thanks for sharing
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Great post. I am definitely way too hard on myself when I look into the mirror or receive compliments from others.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to move forward from negative self thoughts. Every time I try to move forward, I pull myself back. I need to break the cycle and start one of self love, not self hate.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think, for me, it's time to make peace with my hate, not necessarily my body. If I can accept I'll have bad days and bad thoughts, but just not give them as much attention when they arise, then I'll be able to accept them better and not have it spiral out of control.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I loved this!!!!

I also realized many do not read the post, only the title :drinker: