Anyone tried Daiya "cheese" before?

Options
Biodemon
Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
I bought a bag of the shredded mozzarella kind. I REALLY love cheese...and milk. Okay, I really really love dairy but recently the little bit of tolerance I had for it has gone out the window and after suffering a night of tummy problems from drinking a bit of milk, I'm terrified to even look at it. I decided to try out vegan cheese and I heard good things about the Daiya brand. Anyone tried it before? Is it really close to actual cheese?

Replies

• sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's different. Its fine to use it in sandwiches, cooking, etc. but sometimes I like a nice thick slice of cheddar and it doesn't compare :(
  • fancypants127
    fancypants127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's as close to cheese as I've been able to get. It melts pretty easily and even stretches. You can even maked grilled cheese with it.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Their cream cheese is really good! I personally can't tell a difference when you mix it into a recipe like normal. I've never had their shredded cheese, but I've never heard anything bad about it! :)

The earth balance 'butter' is a really good butter alternative as well!
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    the stuff that comes in blocks is amazing on burgers or anywhere you want it to melt. The shedded stuff is somehow less moist and harder to melt but the flavors are good on both. Daiya has the best texture of the vegan cheeses i think (cheddar especially).
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say, it's still not like cheese. I have to think of it as something different. Daiya is better than other brands I've tried but it makes me super sad when it doesn't melt the right way in my chili.:sad:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I tried the shredded cheddar a few months back... Wasn't a fan. It looks like cheese, feels like cheese, but doesn't really taste like cheese. I couldn't get past the smell either. This is just my opinion. You may love it!
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of the taste or smell. Hope you feel differently though!
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've used their mozzarella cheese for making pizza! It definitely has a different consistency and flavor when melted (it's more gooey/sticky) than normal cheese, but it's pretty good!

I don't like the cheddar, but mozzarella has been good to me!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It's is easily some of the best vegan cheese, particularly the mozzarella. It is a little moist, and has a strange texture cold, but it really shines in the melting department. I always used it for lasagna and grilled cheese.
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes..... i''ve tried them all.......Big cheese lover, trying (off and on) to go vegan

I don't recommend the cheddar, but. you can use the mozzarella on pizza. It only melts "right" if you bake it or nuke it for a LONG time.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I tried the shredded cheddar a few months back... Wasn't a fan. It looks like cheese, feels like cheese, but doesn't really taste like cheese. I couldn't get past the smell either. This is just my opinion. You may love it!

This for me. I didnt care for it at all, but thought it tasted the "best" out of the alternatives (which isn't saying much in my opinion).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Typically, aged cheese (like sharp cheddar) doesn't have any lactose. So even if you're intolerant and get an upset stomach from milk, you should be able to eat most aged cheese without problems.

You might not be able to have things like mozzarella, ricotta or cottage, but there are plenty of other cheese choices.

I have tasted Daiya. No... just NO! It smells awful and something is just off about the texture.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes it tastes ike s***
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the reason I could not stick with vegan. Daiya is the only one I eat and unfortunately not available unless I drive 45 minutes. If they carried it at my local grocery I would probably still be vegan. I do like though that quite a few vegan pizzas and other vegan products are made with it.