Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• Cheliaj
    Cheliaj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nay!!! You need to watch the dr. Oz show about artifical sweetners and diet soda. It is definitely associated with weight gain. I drank diet soda and my weight went up because it causes you to crave food. You tongue can't detect the sweetness after a while but your body craves it and I use to have headaches when I didn' t get the diet soda. I thought it was the caffeine but it is the artifical sugar. The same thing happened when I drank tea with artificial sugar. Dr. Oz states stevia is better. I do very little of that and I'm ok. If you are bettering your health do water, crystal light, and make veggie or fruit smoothies.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Nay!!! You need to watch the dr. Oz show about artifical sweetners and diet soda. It is definitely associated with weight gain. I drank diet soda and my weight went up because it causes you to crave food. You tongue can't detect the sweetness after a while but your body craves it and I use to have headaches when I didn' t get the diet soda. I thought it was the caffeine but it is the artifical sugar. The same thing happened when I drank tea with artificial sugar. Dr. Oz states stevia is better. I do very little of that and I'm ok. If you are bettering your health do water, crystal light, and make veggie or fruit smoothies.
    Dr. OZ really?
    th?id=HN.608034590396385324&pid=15.1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ really?
    th?id=HN.608034590396385324&pid=15.1

Nothing like losing all credibility in one post...lol
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and natural.....beer, coffee, and water ;)
  • dropdeadgreggie_
    dropdeadgreggie_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yummy
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me it is one Diet Mt Dew every monring and then water the rest of the day. I find it helps get my day off to a good start.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Nay - nothing to do with weight, they're just BAD for you!

Well said. People seem to think that diet is okay for your teeth, it is a little bit better with no sugar, but a lot of the pops that have phosorphic acid in them greatly weaken enamel away. Many diet pops have this acid in them too.

I am a recovering Pepsi-aholic. I drank it heavily for probably 6 years at least. I paid the price in the dentist office several times. This is the main reason I gave it up.

While I'm really sorry that YOU have a mouth full of cavities, I don't. I have been drinking diet soda for as long as I can remember. I did not get my first cavity until I was in my 40's and it was described as "tiny." I've had one other "tiny" one since then.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you do not count calories then you will eat more food if you replace regular soda with diet soda. Regular soda is more filling because it contains calories. But if you count calories then diet soda does not cause weight gain nor hinder weight loss. Look, if you are on a proper weight loss diet, forget any ideas of not being hungry. Just do not give in to the hunger urge. Same goes for maintaining weight. Expect to stay hungry. If you were fat, you are never ever going to be able to stay thin yet avoid staying hungry. It is up to every individual to decide between fat/full and thin/hungry. Unless you are "naturally thin" -- meaning you are full after only a few bites-- unless you are one of those rare types, then you must decide whether being thin is worth NOT eating enough to satisfy appetite. You cannot have both.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Fresh from the beer tree.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you do not count calories then you will eat more food if you replace regular soda with diet soda. Regular soda is more filling because it contains calories. But if you count calories then diet soda does not cause weight gain nor hinder weight loss. Look, if you are on a proper weight loss diet, forget any ideas of not being hungry. Just do not give in to the hunger urge. Same goes for maintaining weight. Expect to stay hungry. If you were fat, you are never ever going to be able to stay thin yet avoid staying hungry. It is up to every individual to decide between fat/full and thin/hungry. Unless you are "naturally thin" -- meaning you are full after only a few bites-- unless you are one of those rare types, then you must decide whether being thin is worth NOT eating enough to satisfy appetite. You cannot have both.

Hmmm, I drink diet soda, I am maintaining, I don't count calories, and I am only hungry when it's time to eat. I guess I am a rarity :)
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Fresh from the beer tree.

Or beer section ;)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A male is more likely to be naturally thin than a female, because he is more likely to be tall and therefore can weigh over 140 pounds and not be fat. Most women are not tall enough to be thin at that weight so they have to eat fewer calories. Also, I am a daily diet soda drinker with a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi right in front of me now. And at 61, I have healthy teeth with no fillings whatsoever, and no missing teeth except for the 4 PERFECTLY GOOD bicuspids that were extracted to create space to straighten my teeth with braces. Diet soda ROCKS!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.
    Anything "natural" in a box or container was "artificially" removed from it's natural state. One gains weight from over consumption, not drinking 0 calorie drinks.
    Artificial sweeteners have probably been tested more stringently (other than drinking water), than any other additive and the consensus is by actual science that the dosages in drinks and foods are FINE for consumption if they aren't allergic to it or have reactions to them. That would be most of the general population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    if i want a soda i drink Zevia.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Diet decaf soda. I'll have one a day as a treat.
  • VictoriaVamp
    VictoriaVamp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Water is always best in my book!!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I want pop, I will likely get diet to avoid calories. If I want Dr. Pepper, I won't...because I don't like it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is a gateway soda, first it is diet soda, then you start drinking Pepsi One or Dr. Pepper 10. You tell yourself, "It isn't that many calories" then before you know it, you are drinking full leaded soda and back where you began.
    :huh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nay. Studies have shown it can cause neurological damage. I like all my cells intact. I did drink it in the past. Bought one about a year ago, and I am sorry to say it tasted like I would imagine turpentine would taste. Rather go something healthier.
  • sjd1974
    sjd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nay. For no other reason than it causes me too much gastric distress. I quit drinking Diet Coke/Dr Pepper 6 months ago and my IBS symptoms have been tremendously reduced.