How to deal with clothes that don't fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    I gave all my clothes that didn't fit to Goodwill, and bought my entire new wardrobe FROM Goodwill. Going from a size 26 Women's Stretch to a size 0-2 Petite sure made for a LOT of clothes I never WANT to fit into again! =)
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I started at a 24/26W, and also found Goodwill to be a bit hit or miss when it came to carrying my sizes, but I'm now down to an 18-20, and am almost overwhelmed at the options they have in my size! Every week, Goodwill has a "Color of the Week", where that color tag is 50% off of the marked price. It keeps their stock constantly rotating. Be sure to look out for whatever color it is that week! If you live close enough to one, you can go every week and shop only the color of the week tags!

I also feel you on even Goodwill being out of budget when you have a tight one. Rather than give myself $50 every time I go to Goodwill (I don't live close, so it's every 6 weeks or so), I add it to my bi-weeky budget. I have a piggy bank specifically for new clothes. I add $10 per pay period (2 weeks) PLUS $1 per pound I lose. The $10 gets saved, either for long term goal rewards or for a final, complete new wardrobe. The $1 per pound goes to my Goodwill fund. I'll spend whatever I can out of pocket as well, but having that savings jar has really helped so far!
    That method for saving is really great! I think I will keep track of it in a spreadsheet as I usually do not carry cash.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Im having opposite issues...muscle wont squeeze into old clothes...

Sweet! Good job :-)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I use youtube and learned to take my clothes in myself. Also thrift stores have awesome finds!!
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i've done safety pinning and stitches...but now it's getting ridiculous!
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Are you on FB? Many areas have local Facebook "yard sale" type pages that are area-specific. People often sell individual pieces of clothing on there, or they'll post a photo of a whole bag of clothes and say what size everything generally is and name a price for the whole bag. I've sold an enormous black garbage bag full of clothes that were too big for me for like $25 on the site in my area. Might be worth a try? I posted a picture of all of the stuff laid out on a bed, and then wrote something like "clothing from XYZ brands, all clean and in good condition, things range in size from size 14-16. Asking $25 obo for the whole bag of stuff". You might get a nice variety of stuff that way?

Or see if there's a Plato's Closet in Buffalo, and try selling some clothing there when you have stuff that's too big? They pay cash. I only suggest that because I used to live in Binghamton NY, and I know they aren't super close, but Binghamton had a Plato's, so I figure Buffalo might too, being that they're large college towns.

Came here to say this exactly! FB is your friend