How can I possibly get enough fat? Or does it even matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have to really watch my fat intake or I easily eat way too much.

Cook your meat and veggies with a little extra virgin olive oil or whatever fat you prefer.

Use olive oil based dressings for salads
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You just have to balance out your diet better...it sounds like you have a very carb heavy diet (noun) if you are constantly going over there but under fat and protein.

Also, I would suggest tracking carbs as a whole rather than sugar as a subset unless you have some specific reason for doing so like diabetes or another medical condition.

Also, I wouldn't worry at all about going over on protein...it is difficult to have too much protein.

Ultimately, calories are what is most important here...but I'd definitely suggest making efforts towards balancing your diet and getting proper nutrition which includes dietary fat...truly getting optimal nutrition on 1200 calories is pretty difficult though, it's a pretty paltry calorie goal and just about as aggressive as you can get.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly getting mine via peanut butter and olive oil when I cook stuff.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Add coconut oil to your diet. It is high in fat and has lots of health benefits :). I add a tablespoon a day to my coffee. It is 120 calories, but I always feel super energetic after drinking it.
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm on a high fat intake diet as arranged w/my doctor for my specific medical conditions.

I drink "bulletproof coffee" for breakfast: 1 cup of coffee, 2 tbsp grass fed butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, and vanilla flavored Stevia. It packs 320 cals, 0 protein, 0 carbs, and 36 grams of fat.

I don't eat anything else for breakfast, but honestly I do not feel the need to anyway. I get hungry daily around 11 - 12ish; in time for lunch.

My target is between 1200 and 1300 and I manage to hit it just fine. I do stick to lean cuts of meats for the rest of the day and avoid nuts and dairy to ensure my fat doesn't go too high.

Good luck!

Does that coffee actually taste good? I am thinking about trying to cut down my carbs and increase my fat as I am ALWAYS tired and extremely lethargic, but I hate fatty milk. Anything other than skim churns my stomach just because it grosses me out for some reason.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think it's delicious - especially with the vanilla stevia (I use Sweet Leaf brand drops). I was skeptical. You have to blend it somehow (I use an immersion blender); otherwise, you are drinking a cup of coffee with grease on top. Oh, and it has to be unsalted butter, of course. I've made it with salted - it's drinkable, but it's much better with unsalted.
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am getting a lot of good ideas, although it does seem difficult to get enough fat while staying under 1200 calories. So my next question is: can one count fats as a weekly average, the way I do with calories, or do I need a minimum amount every single day? As I said in my original post, I only eat 1200/day five days a week. I eat A LOT more than that on the other two days, and I get plenty of fat on those days. So if my weekly average of fat is good, is that enough?