Homemade chicken soup help please

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
My wonderful husband made some chicken soup for supper so I have no idea of how much of what went into it. I weigh EVERYTHING! So here sits this wonderful yummy soup and I am unsure of how much to eat. I want the numbers to be close to correct so that I am not over today. I thought maybe someone makes a similar soup and would know roughly how many calories it would be.

He used
a whole chicken
celery
carrots
onions
potatoes
noodles

The potatoes may drive up the calories a bit as well as the noodles. I could just scoop out and weigh the chicken and veggies but would that be accurate enough?

What would you do?

Replies

• swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    use the recipe feature under the food tab... it will give you the total for the entire recipe.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You would be fairly close if you did that ( there would be starch left in the broth ) but that would not put you over the top. :flowerforyou:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like he put anything crazy in it...as my hubby rarely cooks for me I would eyeball a portion, smile, eat half.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Also here s a recipe with some counts for you (the sodium on this would be high as they use canned broth but the calories would be fairly close)Ingredients
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
    1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken breast
    1 1/2 cups egg noodles
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    Directions
    1.In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 164 | Total Fat: 6.2g
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like he put anything crazy in it...as my hubby rarely cooks for me I would eyeball a portion, smile, eat half.

If my husband did this for me...I have to agree. I would practice some portion control by measuring the amount of soup. Or use http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php put in all the ingredients and about how many people it will feed (servings).
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would eat a medium-sized bowl, skip the math and call it 250 cals (to be safe). Enjoy dinner!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Usually chicken soup is fairly low cal at least if you use skinless chicken. I would just find a soup listed in the food list that is similar, eat and ENJOY! Wish my husband would cook for me!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think homemade chicken soup is about 250 cals. That's what I'd call it, unless he tells you he added a stick of butter or something crazy :)
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    find the calories for the chicken and noodles and call the broth about 200 cals to be safe. in the future ask him how he makes it so you can create a recipe in case he makes it again.

thats what i do when my hubby cooks.