Should I start adding some pounds?

Options
Last summer I weighed in at 218 pounds. Since then I have got down to a weight that I use to run road races at competitively in college (134 pounds) I'm 37 and 5'8. I am happy at where I am at and I have caught the running bug all over again. Just recently ran the fastest 5K in 16 years.

Here's the issue. Some people keep asking me if I'm sick or if something is wrong with me and it's getting a tad annoying. Or comments like I should buy you a pizza or something. I know better and I know that all that matters is if I'm happy with myself, but it is getting a little tiresome. I teach tennis for a living and believe me it is so much easier having lost the weight.

I uploaded a picture, hopefully I did it right and please let me know if you think I should gain weight. Do you think 5'8 and 134 is too small, I have broad shoulders and medium build i think. Thanks for your input. If the picture didn't work I did successfully upload on my profile.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/rpsilvas/embed/slideshow/"></iframe&gt;

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to add some muscle.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to add some muscle, and in all honestly, you do look very thin.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You are quite slender with not a lot of body fat. It's unusual to see someone that thin who is your age. The exception is when people tend t have a lot of muscle.

I think what's causing the comments is that you've lost a lot of weight and people see that change and wonder what causes it. I also agree with others who have told me that people make comments like 'get a pizza' because it's a backhanded compliment and admiration/jealousy/friendly teasing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lifting weights - working against resistance - will strengthen your bones to compliment all the aerobic activity you do.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for honest assessments :) Worried that adding might slow me down but just like weight loss can be alot of trial and error.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If your body is working the way it should (ies you're not too cold or lethargic) then I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way you look.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you are happy then I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say. But if I were you, I'd do more weight training and eat more. Bulk up. But then again, I'm 5'10 195 and I think I need to put on some muscle.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Yes, you look a bit on the slender side to me too, but being light is an advantage for serious runners, isn't it? I've seen competitive runners who looked thinner than you do. If I were in your position, I think I'd be avoiding further weight loss and looking into strength training programs designed specifically for runners - for enhanced stability and injury prevention. Not sure about bulking if gains would affect your speed or your tennis coaching... That's really your call....
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, you would benefit from bulking and gaining some muscle.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you look thin but not too thin. (I'd avoid further weight loss as well.)