Age 57, trying to learn to run

Options
I'm a female, age 57 but in good health. I'm just a bit overweight, I'd like to lose 12 lbs and get down to 120 and my metabolism is shot. I've decided to try running, but I'm having a horrible time of it. I regularly walk briskly half an hour a day, and walk up and down 8 flights of stairs 3 or 4 times a day 5 days a week. I can make 5 flights without the leg burn and getting out of breath, then I stop for a few seconds and then finish up the final 3 flights. I've been trying to run on the treadmill, because in SC it's just too hot outside right now. I walk 5 minutes to warm up at 3.2 mph, then try to run at 4 mph. But I can only do about a minute before the burn starts and I get completely out of breath. I can do 3 or 4 minutes running in 1 minute intervals and the rest walking. I do about 20 minutes altogether right now. I've only been trying for about a week. I've been trying to learn to breathe right, but after a lifetime of learning to hold my stomach in, it's hard to breathe with the stomach. I don't know if I should just keep trying and it will get better. Or is running just not for me?

Kathy

Replies

• Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Check out the c25k app. I decided to turn my walks into runs, but didn't know where to start. It's a 9 week (3 days a week) program that gradually turns you into a runner. What's great is that you can repeat days too if you're not quite ready to move up. I just finished week 3 and am having a lot of fun with it.

Good Luck!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Actually it sounds like you've got a pretty good plan. The key to learning to run is - wait for it - slow down. Allow your body time to adapt, concentrate on relaxing and putting one foot in front of the other. Endurance first, then speed.
  • robertdc50
    robertdc50 Posts: 50
    Options
    4 MPH is really just a brisk walk anyway, so if you can walk it without problems, you should be able to run it. Perhaps it's a technique thing? Maybe you could get somebody to video you trying to run, and then see if you can identify a specific move or motion that would cause premature burn, or shortness of breath. Maybe you have an experienced instructor or coach (even a high school gym teacher) who could give you some first hand advice.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My Mom is in her early 60's and has taken up running!! You can do it!! She has worked up to (her longest to date, but we are getting ready to do half training) an 8 mile run!!

She can hold 12 mins miles and I'm super proud of her, even though I can run circles around her. :laugh:
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. Give it time. I am 62 and 3 years ago I couldn't run a block. I can run 2 miles and walk run 5 or 6 (not fast, but I can do it). Congrats on trying something new.
  • vindidj
    vindidj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and breaking into running as well (14 weeks in) following a program modeled after C25K. You have a good plan and are making all the right moves. The most important advice I can offer is to progress slowly. Increase distance by NO MORE than 10% per week. You will be out there walking/running and your mind will say, "We can go a little further...you can do it...finish out the mile...it'll be awesome!" Don't listen and don't get greedy. Pushing too hard risks injury that costs you far more than going slowly. I too started with walking and remember that there was a point when my body just felt like breaking into a run. Stick with the brisk strolls and you'll transition to comfortable running before you know it. Good luck and have fun!