Anyone with PCOS and/or Diabetes?

Options
Hi, I have both. I guess I'm just lucky like that. :grumble: My question is, has anyone been successful in losing weight without having to majorly limit their carbs? I know that I should stay under a certain amount for blood sugar reason but I feel like I'm going to puke if I eat anymore meat. I had a friend on here send me a glycemic index link and my sugars still are too high even eating an apple. I think it's a case of the I want what I can't have. Have you been able to lose eating fruit, brown rice and the like? I know everybody is different in the way they respond to foods but I just wanted a little feedback. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I sincerely doubt someone with Type II diabetes and PCOS will lose weight very easily without going lower carb. That being said, why are you eating so much meat that you want to puke? When you go low carb, you can't also go low fat, so increase your fat calories to 60-65%, proteins 25-30%, and carbs 5-10%, and see how you do. Oh, and drink lots of water, and don't eat added sugars. Limit your artificial sweeteners to 3 packets a day. I bet you'll lose then. One way of eating does not fit all, however, there is plenty of science out there about ketogenic diets for diabetes, PCOS, and epilepsy.
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    I guess what I mean by that is I was not a huge meat eater and it seems to be my only low carb option for meals. Meat, cheese, nuts and eggs. I know I will have to be lower. I've been lingering around 80 a day. I'm wondering if that's still too much.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What about beans and lentils, mashed cauliflower and root veggies like turnips and jicima? You have options!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    When you go low carb, you can't also go low fat, so increase your fat calories to 60-65%, proteins 25-30%, and carbs 5-10%, and see how you do.

this!!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i have PCOS too, and try to limit my carbs and sugar...
    i can't really offer a definitive 'answer' as i'm just starting out, but can only share what i've read up on.
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    i have PCOS too, and try to limit my carbs and sugar...
    i can't really offer a definitive 'answer' as i'm just starting out, but can only share what i've read up on.

Are you trying to stay under a certain number carb wise?
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS/insulin resistance.

My endocrinologist worked with the nutritionist at the local hospital to help me come up with a diet ( which is basically the same they prescribe to diabetics) to help me lose weight. My carbs weren't set incredibly low but they recommended about 135 daily and changing the type of carbs I ate. ( no more more or less white starches) whole grain products. No enriched wheat or white flour . Whole grain/wheat pasta, sweet potato instead of white

They suggested no banana's but go nuts with berries as they have smaller amounts of sugar, no fruit juice I changed the types of meat I ate ( im now on a less stringent diet since i lost a majority of the weight) but pork tenderloin, fish, lean roast beef, chicken and turkey out the pie hole and a majority of my bulk was leafy veg, leaf lettuces, spinich, kale, cabbage ect ( with the weekly splurge dinner)
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have t2 diabetes and my carbs are about 180 a day and I've been losing weight every week. We were discussing this in the diabetes group yesterday. Some of my MFP diabetes friends only eat 80 or less carbs a day. I've been trying to limit where my carbs come from. I eat fruit, veggies, potatoes, pasta, bread. All in moderation. I don't drink regular sodas anymore, no fries (I might eat one or two of my daughters), less candy, less chips. Beans are great too. I make a homemade chili that's full of veggies and really good with ground beef, a variety of beans and lots of veggies. It keeps my blood sugar numbers good. Calories aren't too bad on it and is quick and easy to take to work when I make a huge pot of it.
  • emmaalyssaa
    emmaalyssaa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed with Diabetes & checking for PCOS *as I have MAJOR symptoms*. Lower carb is pretty much the only way to go with it. Generally, I'm trying to stay 100g of carbs and under. I've heard so SO so many great stories with lower carb and PCOS/Diabetes.

It's not all meat! You should google Paleo/Primal... which is a grain free way of eating. Lots of great lower carb recipes that are mostly diabetes friendly.

Also, make sure to exercise! Nothing crazy, walking around for 45 mins or so will majorly help!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    what about nuts and legumes?

almond or almond butter peanut butter cashew butter whatever kind you like they are fabulous and very filling

I happen to love meat so it does not phase me at all

I use a food scale to measure out 3ozs

I am diabetic over 40 and have high blood pressure
    I also suggest limiting sodium

at first I felt like an air fern not being able to eat much but I worked out a balance that seems to work well for me and I have dropped almost 70 lbs since I started this in December

my usual day is
    steel cut oats for breakfast made in Almond milk with a TBS of butter and a TBS of polaner all fruit and a danon light and fit greek yogurt
    I have almond butter some all fruit on a pita with a banana for lunch

dinner is usually something with chicken or fish veggies and either a josephs lavash bread or rice or noodles

I also walk a LOT and started lifting kind of Im trying to be more regular with that

make certain you are measuring and weighing your food so you know what you are eating do not guess
  • emmaalyssaa
    emmaalyssaa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    & make sure to eat more natural healthy fat (avocado, coconut oil, avocado oil, nuts, etc).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I eat lower carbs than what MFP recommends but not super crazy low. I'm at around 100-100 grams a day. I do it mostly by restricting my grains and added sugar and by making sure I eat a lot of protein. Feel free to look at my diary, which should be open.

Oh, and I have had no trouble losing eating like this.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but I'm not diabetic, and I have lost 67.5kg - 148.8lb in 19 months.... I can't comment on the diabetes side of this, but I can assure you I don't follow any particular plan, I eat what I want to eat, but in moderation.... I am something of an exercise junkie these days though and that probably helps.

I don't eat dairy produce because I have a hiatus hernia and it causing me severe bloating and pain at night, so I guess that can be quite helpful, as dairy produce is usually fattening.

xXx
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'm not on any meds because I can control it through diet. I don't want pills if I don't have to have them. I've also heard that if you have the carb with a protein it helps with the insulin. Maybe I'll try that. You guys are great, thank you.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I don't cut carbs. My weight loss is slow but steady. Cutting carbs is not sustainable for me so I have no choice but to eat what's normal for me. Just make sure to eat the GOOD carbs (whole grains, veggies, soy, etc) and not eat a ton of the junk ones.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm diabetic and have lost just counting my carbs and limiting them to about 100-150/day. I try not to eat more than 30-35 at a time. My latest a1c was 5.3. Just remember all our bodies are different and react to carbs in different ways. I hope you find something that works for you. Good Luck!
  • AmAnDuh77
    AmAnDuh77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have both! I was diagnosed with PCOS 14+ years ago and always used that as my crutch to say I will never be able to lose weight! Fast forward to May 2014 and my Dr ,who had been telling me at each physcial the last 2 years that my blood sugar was too high, finally said enough, you are fasting and it's 208..yowzers!

So, that being said it scared the crap out of me and I have completely changed my WOE since the middle of May and have lost 23 lbs. I try to limit my carb intake at each meal to stay under 40, most of the time it is less. I haven't had any candy/chips/dr pepper since the day I decided to change my life, I eat clean as much as possible.

You should still be eating carbs, and you can have fruit..just be cautious of your portions when it comes to fruit. There's a big difference in a small apple vs large apple when it comes to carbs/sugars.

Also, excercise is VERY important! Like another poster said, if you can just walk 30-45 minutes a day you will notice the difference. My goal is 4 days a week for 50 minutes.

Feel free to add me!
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have both PCOS and T2 Diabetes. I like proteins, but I have to admit, I sometimes get to the point where if I have to eat another piece of chicken breast, I feel like I am going to gag.

The #1 thing is to give up any sugary drinks you might imbibe. Whether soda or fruit juice or whatnot -- they are death to weight loss for us.

But you don't have to go crazy Atkins style and give up carbs. What is important is lowering the glycemic index of your whole meal. You can do that by choosing lower GI carbohydrates (less processed grains like brown rice, barley, quinoa, etc.) and by adding good fats and protein to the meal.

I wouldn't just eat an apple; I would have an apple with a little nut butter.
    Instead of a slice of whole grain toast with jam, I have my toast spread with 1/6 avocado.

Choose a good quality unprocessed carbohydrate, lower on the glycemic index but always pair it with something else that will lower the GI of the whole meal even further.

The other thing that makes the most difference for those of us with the double whammy of PCOS and Diabetes is exercise. You can lose weight without it, but it won't be coming off very quickly, at least not for long.

HTH
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's wonderful to hear how so many people are changing their food choices to control diabetes and PCOS. I encourage everyone to meet with a registered dietitian to figure out the best eating plan for you. There's no one diet plan that works for everyone, and working with an RD will give you the opportunity to ask questions and get support in changing your eating habits. Also, the PCOS nutrition center at http://www.pcosnutrition.com/ has a wealth of information and resources. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had it for years. I have lost all my weight without cutting carbs or sugars. I eat less and more healthy but I still eat a lot of carbs and sugars (trying to work on it but I'll never be able to go low carb, I know that.)

It is possible but that doesn't mean that losing weight with PCOS is easy, Ive had several plateaus and have a hard time losing but it is possible.