Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yay. They are tasty and I like to 'fuel' my morning workouts with Dt.Mt. Dew if I'm feeling particularly sluggish when I don't want to take the time to brew, cool down and drink some coffee.

Artificial sweeteners only affect me if I go to the movie theater, get the biggest diet soda available AND get a refill halfway through the show. Then I get a car motion sickness feeling an hour later that lasts for 30 minutes or so. Unless the movie sucks, then I only drink one or less, resulting in no headache. Only good movies cause me to constantly indulge my oral fixation.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The problem with citing articles is that no matter what view you hold, you can find something somewhere to support you. I wrote two papers in college, each for different classes. One proved, even with studies and statistics, that video games contribute to juvenile violence. The other, proven also with studies and statistics, stated that video games do NOT contribute to juvenile violence. All you have to do to "prove" a point is google for the right thing.

Which is why you have to do the due diligence to read the actual study critically and not just accept the conclusions of the authors and certainly not the conclusions of an internet article written by someone citing a study they themselves may or may not have read.

Something cannot be both A and not A, in your example at least on of those studies is flawed.

Im not claiming it isn't time consuming or difficult to comb the primary literature, read critically and evaluate...I'm just saying those who don't even bother to try should probably keep there mouths shut rather than risk propogating B.S.

The fact that you CAN find an article supporting any viewpoint in its title or abstract is exactly why it is important to fully read it and critically evaluate its merit before parroting its claims.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The problem with citing articles is that no matter what view you hold, you can find something somewhere to support you. I wrote two papers in college, each for different classes. One proved, even with studies and statistics, that video games contribute to juvenile violence. The other, proven also with studies and statistics, stated that video games do NOT contribute to juvenile violence. All you have to do to "prove" a point is google for the right thing.

You can't "prove" both. That's not possible.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Drinking one right now, nearly 20 lbs down. I say yay.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    NAY! But only because I don't like the way it taste!

+ 1 :sick:
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: there are no calories in diet soda, it cannot make you fat, and there is absolutely no impact on insulin response.

I would like some reference substantiating this claim please. While I can admit there is a lot of pseudo-science out there, there are studies that show there is a response.

https://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/25491.aspx
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/12/2184.full

Diet sodas may have zero calories but if the body reacts as if there is a sugar-like substance, then that is a reaction. Maybe not for all, but it is a risk factor for some, and dangerous to say "absolutely no impact" and deserves to - at the minimum - be treated with caution, especially for those with diabetes risk factors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

THIS. Betting it's more correlative than actual proof in both studies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gummibear64
    gummibear64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of diet pop but it is a big nay for me. It gives me terrible itchy bumps on my arms. It has taken 6 months for those bumps to disappear. :sick:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: there are no calories in diet soda, it cannot make you fat, and there is absolutely no impact on insulin response.

I would like some reference substantiating this claim please. While I can admit there is a lot of pseudo-science out there, there are studies that show there is a response.

Diet sodas may have zero calories but if the body reacts as if there is a sugar-like substance, then that is a reaction. Maybe not for all, but it is a risk factor for some, and dangerous to say "absolutely no impact" and deserves to - at the minimum - be treated with caution, especially for those with diabetes risk factors.
    Funny because the ADA recommends diet soda as an alternative drink.

What Can I Drink?

Food often takes center stage when it comes to diabetes. But don't forget that the beverages you drink can also have an effect on your weight and blood glucose!

We recommend choosing zero-calorie or very low-calorie drinks. This includes:

Water
    Unsweetened teas
    Coffee
    Diet soda
    Other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes

You can also try flavoring your water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a light, refreshing drink with some flavor. All of these drinks provide minimal calories and carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html#sthash.ZHU95NvI.dpuf

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me that if I want to keep drinking my diet soda that I should keep drinking it, since nothing has been proven bad about it, and it has been tested over and over again. So I keep drinking my diet soda, and I am still losing about 2 pounds a week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Figure from the study you linked. Open circles are carbonated water. Closed circles are a diet soda.

The study shows no difference in insulin levels between the two so that study does not refute what the poster you quoted said about insulin response.

Capture.jpg

Why did you quote this study as showing an uptick in insulin? Did you read the study?

The issue is you get an uptick of insulin if you ingest anything, therefore anyone who wants to say "you see an uptick of insulin when you ingest X" is technically correct, however its irrelevant...what matters is if you get MORE of an uptick of insulin when compared to just drinking water or anything else non-sugar. In this case, clearly not.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. I don't think it affects weight loss unless there is a massive amount of soda being drank every single day... then I guess it could make you bloated and such, which could lead to a increase in your weight... But even though it doesn't have any calories I try not to drink it too much because there is aspartame and other chemicals and stuff... but idk, I looooove soda, so I try to stay away from it for the most part because whether I drink regular or diet soda, I get so bloated and it is hard for me to lose weight. But I guess it depends on each person individually, that's just how it is for me.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

My point was not that either was actually proven. My point was that if "proving" a point, as some try to do when it comes to the diet pop argument, by using an internet study, it's erroneous. You can always find a "study" swaying the facts to prove your point. That's what I meant.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    You can always find a "study" swaying the facts to prove your point. That's what I meant.

This is a pretty classic argument against science. But I don't believe it to be true. We could sit here all day naming things that no study could possibly prove.

Not to mention - no single study changes an argument. You have to look to see how that study fits in with all the rest of the research.

Further more, not every study is equal. If someone posts an epidemiological/observational study that isn't as swaying as say a randomized controlled trial. A meta-analysis would normally be much better than survey research. A rat study is far less conclusive than a human study. etc....

IMO, when you take a look at the overall research, and correctly weight the types of studies - the evidence is by FAR in support of diet pop being safe.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight control, because diet sodas have 0 calories they do not add to your daily caloric intake, obviously. They may be a welcome variety from water. The claim that they make you gain weight is due to the fact that they are high in added sugar. Sugar makes you crave more sugar. So it is normal for people to consume a diet soda and then want to snack on a non-diet bag of chips. Oftentimes people sees this effect as "I'm craving chips, I must be hungry, therefore I must fulfill the craving". If you can recognize what is happening in that your body is just on a sugar high and doesn't want to come down, then you can resist the craving for more sugar.

There's no sugar in diet soda.

technically there is

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BZ6rNheUWMw/UMAq6KYYE1I/AAAAAAAAAkE/H6gfd4MXcbA/s1600/diet_pepsi_ingred.jpg

aspartame...
  • AllieMarie2244
    Options
    Nay. If I want a soda, I may as well get one that's not diet, just a small one. Everything in moderation. But I'm becoming more and more of a water fan anyway. Maybe I'll start adding lemons and limes to my water to spice things up a little. :)

try strawberries in water
    soooooooooooooooo good
  • AllieMarie2244
    Options
    If you are trying to be healthy, why half *kitten* it with diet soda? I don't mean you can never drink soda again but if you are drinking it everyday then you are still holding onto that piece of unhealthy living. Just let it go.

Diet soda is a gateway soda, first it is diet soda, then you start drinking Pepsi One or Dr. Pepper 10. You tell yourself, "It isn't that many calories" then before you know it, you are drinking full leaded soda and back where you began.

um no...
    you just compared diet soda as like a gateway drug like pot
    smoke pot then you are most likely going to start using meth etc etc etc

some people (like myself) like diet drinks and thats it
    why would i blow 300+ on a coke when I can have a sandwich and a diet pepsi? plus it tastes better to me but i grew up on diet drinks so.. i know nothing else lol
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!

I usually have one can a day and it makes me one HAPPY GIRL! Might not be healthy, there might be "better choices" but it's something I like so in moderation, I'm down.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight control, because diet sodas have 0 calories they do not add to your daily caloric intake, obviously. They may be a welcome variety from water. The claim that they make you gain weight is due to the fact that they are high in added sugar. Sugar makes you crave more sugar. So it is normal for people to consume a diet soda and then want to snack on a non-diet bag of chips. Oftentimes people sees this effect as "I'm craving chips, I must be hungry, therefore I must fulfill the craving". If you can recognize what is happening in that your body is just on a sugar high and doesn't want to come down, then you can resist the craving for more sugar.

There's no sugar in diet soda.

technically there is

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BZ6rNheUWMw/UMAq6KYYE1I/AAAAAAAAAkE/H6gfd4MXcbA/s1600/diet_pepsi_ingred.jpg

aspartame...

What are you talking about? Aspartame isn't sugar.