Southern Cabbage Recipe Request

Options
TheMannon
TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
Anyone have a good one? Cabbage is one of the few green vegetables that i like but I only know how to make it the Southern way - awesome but not really healthy.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Take a look at these... Sound really good..

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagerecipes/r/boiled-cabbage-with-bacon.htm
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Cut the head into 3/4 inch thick slices. Spritz with olive oil. Salt, pepper, turmeric or paprika to taste. Roast at 300 for 15 minutes. Top with provolone or parmesan cheese. (Low fat if you must, but I don't think fat is evil.)

Variation: While it's roasting, slice tomatoes, place tomato slices on the cabbage for the last 5 minutes. Top with cheese.

Second variation: Turkey pepperoni or salami in place of the tomatoes. (You can use regular pepperoni, I just think Turkey is less greasy.)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    And another .. Tried this and it's really good. Sweet and sour red cabbage

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-sour-red-cabbage

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 4 servingsChange Servings
    1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
    1 quart water
    salt to taste
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup butter
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Place cabbage in a medium saucepan with water and salt, and bring to a boil. Stir in brown sugar and caraway seeds. Cook 12 minutes, or until cabbage is tender; drain.
    In a medium bowl, toss cabbage with vinegar and butter until thoroughly coated.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Cut the head into 3/4 inch thick slices. Spritz with olive oil. Salt, pepper, turmeric or paprika to taste. Roast at 300 for 15 minutes. Top with provolone or parmesan cheese. (Low fat if you must, but I don't think fat is evil.)

Variation: While it's roasting, slice tomatoes, place tomato slices on the cabbage for the last 5 minutes. Top with cheese.

Second variation: Turkey pepperoni or salami in place of the tomatoes. (You can use regular pepperoni, I just think Turkey is less greasy.)

That's a different and yummy idea! Thanks!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try steaming the cabbage in chicken broth or veggie broth with some salt/pepper.
  • Kymom04
    Kymom04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually cooked cabbage tonight. I found a recipe I really like. Cook the cabbage on the stove with onions, turkey kielbasa, onions, and diced tomatoes and light butter. Its a low carb recipe that everyone in my family actually like :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for sharing these delicious recipes! I'll be trying them soon!
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    FRIED CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE

1 tbsp EVOO
    1 small head of cabbage, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 link Italian sausage, sliced into round pieces (I use Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage)
    1-2 fresh tomatoes, diced
    1 tsp minced garlic
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in large skillet. Add cabbage, onion, and cook on medium high for about 5 minutes stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Very good without the meat too. Roughly 500 calories total and it makes a bunch.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks - some great sounding options to try here -
  • ksemin73
    ksemin73 Posts: 1
    Options
    Please, Could you explain your recipe a little more in detail? thanks,