Help! Haven't Lost in 10 Days! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    35 lbs in 8 weeks is great be proud of that. I started at 285 lbs and it took me about 4 to 5 months to lose 35 lbs. It takes time, I understand wanting it off immediately but that is not realistic. Buckled yourself in for a long ride but one worth every moment.

Weight will fluctuate that you need to get used to, if you invest your emotions on the number on the scale I would suggest not weighing so often.

Hang in there you are off to a great start and trust me it can be a fun adventure learning what you can do.
  • 0Amra
    0Amra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You might as well settle in for a long ride because this sort of thing will probably happen to you many times over the course of your weight loss. I started at nearly the same weight that you did and I can tell you that on a good week I average a loss of 2 lbs- which is fantastic in my book! However, I've gone as long as 3 weeks without any loss at all. It's frustrating but if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing and logging everything accurately, eventually the weight will come off. It will probably be a much longer process than you are anticipating.
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    35 lbs. is a great job! Your body is probably adjusting. I think it happens to most people, at least from what I've read on here. I started at about the same weight, and when I lost about 30 lbs., my weight stalled and then I gained about 4 lbs. But after my body adjusted and I changed up things a bit, I started to lose again. In the end, I still made my monthly goal of losing at least 10 lbs.

Can you change something in your routine? Drink more water? Change what you are doing for exercise? Add longer walks? Your body has probably adjusted to the 1.5 mile walk every day.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear...and not losing weight for 10 days is not a big deal...try going 3 weeks.

As for the gain it's from the new exercise most likely...water retention..it happens with new exercise.
    ^This

I have seen several instances of this as I've lost weight and I started at 264. As long as you are staying within your calorie goals and getting exercise, you will see a weight drop. Here and there you'll plateau but the overall trend will be down.

Also, keep in mind that the scale isn't the only way to measure body change: Are you shirts/pants looser? Lost/losing a chin? Can see a rib you couldn't before? Less winded climbing stairs? etc etc etc

All this having been said...if you go another two weeks with no loss then at THAT point, I'd post this topic and open your diaries to get advice..
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Your body will start to slow down in weight loss. I started by losing about 10 lbs in a week and then after that, it's like 1-2 pounds every couple of week and I've even had months where I've gained 2 pounds instead of losing. Don't give up! Do you drink a lot of water? Cold water helps to get the metabolism going so that it burns more. I workout fasted and I've noticed that I feel really good when I do. I eat after I workout and I am good and full until snack or lunch time, and sometimes even beyond then.

And 35 pounds is AWESOME! Congrats! I've lost a whopping 16 pounds and it has honestly taken me since October 2013. I have around 100 pounds to lose. I just have to keep reminding myself not to get discouraged when the scale doesn't move, or even when it moves up.

I also have stopped obsessing over weighing myself all the time. I have now cut back to weighing in 1x per month. The scale really doesn't matter that much, what matters is how you feel. Do you have more energy, are you noticing your waistline decreasing? I haven't lost any weight, but my measurements have gone down.

Feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement!
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    LOSE THE SCALE!...Don't be so hung up on the numbers it's really senseless to constantly get on it, weight fluctuates, relax and listen to your body and feel good because you're feeling good. Get a measuring tape...GNC sell's them and you can use it alone if you're putting out more calories then you're taking in you will see the changes in your body...I can go a few weeks without dropping a single pound per the scale but my jeans fit loose....LISTEN TO YOUR BODY not your scale. KEEP Pushing!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like my scale that tells me body fat and weight. I wasn't losing any pounds for the past month but I've lost 4% body fat. At first I thought that was an error but it's been consistently lower for 2 weeks.
    I'd rather lose fat than muscle so I'm very happy with that. Don't know why the scale isn't moving though.
    It will move, just have to be patient and doing the calorie count. I've noticed that when I'm guessing at serving sizes I don't lose weight nearly as well as when I measure and weigh everything..
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Celebrate 35lbs lost, and be proud of where you've come in the last 3 months. I started out at 275 and only lost 1-2 a week and still have far to go but am finally finding who I want to be and am proud of that!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I started at 329lbs... and I certainly didn't consistently lose weight. I did have some really big losses at the start but then some weeks I just didn't, despite doing everything the same. When I got the consistent losses is when I increased my calories and settled in for the long haul. And even then, I've had a few plateaus and my weight fluctuates up and down for no reason. It's overall that counts, and to trust the process and just keep going. 140lbs down so far.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As annoying as it may be, the body is not a perfect machine and some things influence the reading on the scale. Mainly water weight from sodium, hormones/monthly cycle, stress, sleep, etc. Even starting a new fitness routine can make you temporarily retain water.

June 7th I weighed 144.4. From June 8th-June 24th I was between 144.5 and 146.5. Its just the way my body is affected by my monthly cycle. Today, 143.4. :)

Give it time. 35 pounds is excellent for 8 weeks, just keep in mind that even when your body is losing fat sometimes its holding on to water. Push thru for another week or two and you'll see scale movement again.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do this too, I will lose and then it stops for for a few days and then starts back up again. So many things that the scales can't tell you.

When this happens, I remind myself of my progress, drink extra water and keep on driving myself.

Congrats on your loss by the way! Great job! Keep at it girl!
  • jeanettemahon499
    jeanettemahon499 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi.... you need to aim for your recommended daily amount of calories...everyone knows muscle weighs more than fat, and this can account for slight weight gain, but honestly, try to reach your daily amount and you will begin to lose again. Hope this helps.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Did you take your measurements, waist, hips, neck, chest, biceps.

We've been tricked into relying on a scale for successful weight loss, if you're losing fat and gaining muscle your weight will seem like it's not moving and you may even gain.

Take the measurements if you haven't, numbers don't lie.
  • linmer64
    linmer64 Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't give up! You need to step it up with a different exercising plan. Make sure you are eating good calories when making your food choices, and get more lean protein in your diet, stay away from carbs in your diet, unless it is a vegetable's! Take it slow it's not a race, if it takes a whole year to do it! I like the South Beach Diet, it helped me to understand my body and how carbs play a big roll in losing weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    35 pounds in 8 weeks is amazing! That's more than I've lost in five months (of course I started out about 50 pounds less than where you are). But there will be times where you don't lose or gain for a while for many reasons...sodium intake, change in exercise, TOM. Stick with what you're doing and you'll see it go back down eventually.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can tell you is don't eat back your calories, take measurements (the scale doesnt tell the whole story), and every 3 to 4 weeks amp up your workout routine. In other words if you walk 1 miles after 3 weeks walk 1.25 miles or run/jog 30 seconds and walk for 5 minutes. I change up my routine at the beginning of each month to keep my body guessing and so I don't plateau without realizing it.

Also the weight you have lost in 8 weeks is awesome its taken me 90 days to lose that much. You still are a butt-kicker don't forget that.
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    Options
    35 lbs in 8 weeks is fantastic. I have been exercising and trying to eat better since January and haven't reached 20 lbs yet; however, I have lost several inches and my existing clothes are looser and I've been able to buy some clothes in 1-2 sizes down. Some weeks I stay the same, some weeks I am slightly up. As everyone has said, weight loss is not linear. Just keep at it and you'll get to where you want to be. Best of luck.
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I am not going to give up, but it sure is hard! Many of you mentioned not relying on the scale, but relying on how your clothes fit, etc. I honestly haven't noticed any changes like that. My clothes still fit the same, I still feel the same, and I definitely still look the same. It's very discouraging, but I'm hoping I'll have a non scale victory soon!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    The best thing I can tell you is don't eat back your calories

No that is not the best thing to tell someone. If they are following the way MFP is set up they should be eating back exercise calories at least 1/2 of them if you think the burn amount is too high.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I am not going to give up, but it sure is hard! Many of you mentioned not relying on the scale, but relying on how your clothes fit, etc. I honestly haven't noticed any changes like that. My clothes still fit the same, I still feel the same, and I definitely still look the same. It's very discouraging, but I'm hoping I'll have a non scale victory soon!

I didn't notice much of a change in how my clothes fit until after dropping about 50 lbs. Don't get discouraged this is a process, it takes time. You are worth the time.

But remember there are other indicators of progress, not being so winded when walking, being able to walk further or faster than you could last week. Don't gauge your progress strictly on the scale.