3 weeks and I only lost 5 pounds!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    ok. thanks a lot guys! I guess my frustration came from when i logged my calories MFP was saying "if every day was like today you'd weight 149 pounds in 5 weeks!" and i was just thinking to myself.... "I'm not even close to that! d@mmit!" lol. Thanks again for the motivation :)

Whoa huge deficit there! Eat up...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 3 weeks is good. also you're working out.. you're building muscle. so it may not read on a scale but you're losing fat and gaining muscle.

No. You can't gain muscle while on a deficit. That's like building an addition to a house without any building materials and while people are stealing bricks from the original house during the night.

You can't build something (muscle) from less than nothing (a calorie deficit).
    It's not from nothing. Your body has 3500 calories per pound of fat to use as something.

Only the very obese see gains in muscle mass because there's enough fat stores to release the needed energy to run the body at a deficit while the eaten food can be then used to build muscle. The average person, while eating in a deficit, will not gain mass. They can gain strength but those are two different things.
    So your earlier statement that it "can't" be done was overbroad and wrong.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 3 weeks is good. also you're working out.. you're building muscle. so it may not read on a scale but you're losing fat and gaining muscle.

No. You can't gain muscle while on a deficit. That's like building an addition to a house without any building materials and while people are stealing bricks from the original house during the night.

It's not from nothing. Your body has 3500 calories per pound of fat to use as something.

Only the very obese see gains in muscle mass because there's enough fat stores to release the needed energy to run the body at a deficit while the eaten food can be then used to build muscle. The average person, while eating in a deficit, will not gain mass. They can gain strength but those are two different things.

Nope. Just as I don't automatically add a disclaimer of "certain medical conditions being exempt" when giving advice, I didn't add the "If you're obese, you could, under the proper circumstances, see miniscule gains in muscle mass while eating at a deficit."

It wasn't over broad or wrong. It was a fact that didn't include the tiny outlier. Why are you fighting this information so much? Your assertion that 3500 calories per pound of excess fat could be used to create muscle was over broad and wrong. Yours was misinformation that people who aren't losing could use to attribute non weight loss to muscle building in conjunction with fat loss when in reality, they are likely eating too much. Your information would stall a person and give them false hopes for a healthier body that they aren't actually attaining. Mine, on the other hand, is forcing a person to take a second look at their diet/exercise, make corrections and eventually attain their goals.

Good information is more useful to people than misinformation every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Nope. Just as I don't automatically add a disclaimer of "certain medical conditions being exempt" when giving advice, I didn't add the "If you're obese, you could, under the proper circumstances, see miniscule gains in muscle mass while eating at a deficit."

It wasn't over broad or wrong. It was a fact that didn't include the tiny outlier. Why are you fighting this information so much? Your assertion that 3500 calories per pound of excess fat could be used to create muscle was over broad and wrong. Yours was misinformation that people who aren't losing could use to attribute non weight loss to muscle building in conjunction with fat loss when in reality, they are likely eating too much. Your information would stall a person and give them false hopes for a healthier body that they aren't actually attaining. Mine, on the other hand, is forcing a person to take a second look at their diet/exercise, make corrections and eventually attain their goals.

Good information is more useful to people than misinformation every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Look, you were wrong. Just deal with it. The guy said in his original post that he was 268 when he started. Per BMI, 268 is obese all the way up to 6'7". So, unless the guy is taller than 6'7", he was obese when he started. It's not a "tiny outlier," it's the specific guy in this specific thread.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I never said he could attribute the lack of weight loss to muscle gain. It's borderline impossible for him to gain muscle mass quickly enough for that to be the case. Maybe he could do it with freaky genetics and steroids, but that's beside the point, because I never made that claim in the first place. All I claimed was that your bald assertion that gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time "can't" be done. It can. And, specifically, it can be done by the obese and the OP is obese (unless he's taller than 6'7") so he is exactly the kind of person who is potentially capable of doing what you said can't be done.

So, to recap: what you said was wrong, especially in this particular case and I didn't make the statements you claim I did.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Look, you were wrong. Just deal with it. The guy said in his original post that he was 268 when he started. Per BMI, 268 is obese all the way up to 6'7". So, unless the guy is taller than 6'7", he was obese when he started. It's not a "tiny outlier," it's the specific guy in this specific thread.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I never said he could attribute the lack of weight loss to muscle gain. It's borderline impossible for him to gain muscle mass quickly enough for that to be the case. Maybe he could do it with freaky genetics and steroids, but that's beside the point, because I never made that claim in the first place. All I claimed was that your bald assertion that gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time "can't" be done. It can. And, specifically, it can be done by the obese and the OP is obese (unless he's taller than 6'7") so he is exactly the kind of person who is potentially capable of doing what you said can't be done.

So, to recap: what you said was wrong, especially in this particular case and I didn't make the statements you claim I did.

It wasn't wrong. At most, it was trivially incomplete. Any muscle he gained due to being obese was insignificant and not worth mentioning outside of interesting trivial science facts because it's hardly measurable.

You never mentioned attributing weight loss to muscle gain but you quoted my correction of the woman that said, " you're building muscle. so it may not read on a scale but you're losing fat and gaining muscle." with, "It's not from nothing. Your body has 3500 calories per pound of fat to use as something." This was an indirect validation of the poster I corrected. If you didn't want to validate the incorrect statement, you shouldn't have included it in the quotes and only quoted my statement.

In the end, your 'correction' of, "It's not from nothing. Your body has 3500 calories per pound of fat to use as something." wasn't useful in the least. It was nonsensically out of context at its best, misleading at its worst. My original statement contradicting the poster at the start of this quote chain stands. Everything that has been argued after, has just been silly, nit picking nonsense.

Just to reiterate, this was the statement that I corrected before you came in and muddled it up:
    you're building muscle. so it may not read on a scale but you're losing fat and gaining muscle

The OP didn't gain enough muscle to offset fat losses (despite being obese). My statement stands. .
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd kill for 5lbs. in 3 weeks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! 5 pounds in 3 weeks!

Call back in a couple months. kthxbai.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    only?! that's more than 1 pound per week, I would celebrating!
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well according you most experts, you're only supposed to lose 2 pounds per week. So in 2 weeks you should lose 2 pounds. In 3 weeks you should lose 6 pounds total. So it seems like you are right on track.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm just a little frustrated. I've been using my fitness pal for maybe 3 weeks or more... maybe 4 weeks. It has me at around 1700 calories and give or take i have tried staying within those ranges. I consume ALOT of protein and i lift a lot of weight about 3-4 times a week focusing on different muscle groups each day. thus far I have only lost about 5 pounds or so. I started my fitness pal weighing in at 268 pounds....and my lowest has been 259.4.... but i go back and forth from 259 to 262.4 or 263. And it seems i cant move lower than 263??? I just started measuring myself and my measurements dont seem to change much. but i have noticed some clothes feeling more "comfortable" and not super tight like they used to (shirts primarily).... I'm a male and I'm 30 yrs old. I have tried to be consistent with a high protein and low carb diet and on the weekends I'll refeed my carbs into my diet while maintaining my protein. I wont say I'm 100% by any means on my diet... more so like 85% give or take a little...

First of all - how tall are you? TDEE is necessary to understand before you can truly get down on yourself or even create proper goals. If your goal is to build muscle, keep in mind also that you will not see huge weight loss....instead try to focus on Body Fat %.

CK
  • matgh124
    matgh124 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sorry that was typo lol. i meant to say 249... not 149
  • matgh124
    matgh124 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @ CK i'm 5'9.5 I'm muscular in build but i definately have some fat. i took one of those fat % machines that measure your fat % at the gym and it said i was at 27% fat. i forget what the BMI was.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd be super celebrating if I lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks.

This isn't Biggest Loser - people don't lose 10lbs a week in real life.