Moving to Germany do not know what to expect for food!

Options

Replies

• sarahchick1
    Options
    I am currently living in Frankfurt. I'm originally from Canada.

Germany loves beer, meat and potatoes... I, however, do not love any of them. Haha.

I am a vegetarian - and I will say that despite German culture it is quite easy to eat here. I am in Hesse, which is a couple hours from Bavaria, but I think it's safe to say that all of Germany has a great fitness culture. People here love to cycle and run! There are great gyms here too.

Prior to moving here I was in France - and they have a very different fitness culture there. lol. So this part of moving was refreshing when I arrived in Frankfurt! People are outdoorsy and make a lot of events for outdoor activities.

I think also because Germany is relatively modern compared to other countries in Europe it is easier to eat more "modern" food (meaning you don't have to only eat the traditional cuisine - there are all sorts of fresh veggie options.)

Check out the Al Natura brand and chain store... I can find good options there when I can't seem to find it in a regular grocery store. :)
  • lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am from Germany myself and find it easy to eat healthy. It mostly depends on the choices you make when shopping. For packaged/processed food you will always find nutritional value and ingredients somewhere on the back. Also, I believe regulations concerning food origins and labeling are much stricter than in most other countries.
    Every shop that I know offers a large variety of fruits and vegetables. Also in most rural regions there are still local farmers that will sell their goods to you. The good thing about that is that you don't have to keep to opening hours of shops. The ones that I know just leave milk/eggs in a fridge outside of their house where you can take whatever you need and leave the money in a nearby box.

3 years is quite some time. I'm sure you'll be fine after you have settled in :)
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My husband and I moved from the States to Germany just six months ago. Some of the things I've learned about food in German are:

- Local stores carry the fresh produce, but not always the type you are looking for (ie corn on the cob was amazing but we have yet to see it again)
    - Don't be afraid to try new foods from the butcher or the bakery, but use common sense when judging portions
    - Typical "American" fast food is available here (ie McDonalds, Burger King, etc) but they have differing menus and taste so much better than the states.
    - Restaurants here take longer to get food out, especially with large groups. Relax, enjoy the company of your dinner companions. The food is almost always worth the wait.
    - There is an abundance of food places that cater to all tastes in the bigger cities (pizza, doners, oriental style, Bavarian, Italian, etc) but it may be limited in smaller towns

All of my weight loss has been in the German culture (but i've also tripled my exercise not including the pedestrain lifestyle). We have switched from a fast food/restaurant style life to home cooking because the ingrediants here are often fresher and better tasting. Feel free to friend me for more advice on military in the German area, but if your husband grew up here you are miles ahead of me in culture and language lol.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been doing so well lately in terms of keeping up with my calories and exercise, I'm really worried about this move.

My husband is military and we are about to go to Germany (Bavaria) for 3 years! As exciting as that is, I have no idea what kinda of foods to expect to see...my husband was basically raised there and being 6'3 240lbs he can't wait to eat everything...me I'm a little paranoid because as much as I want to enjoy my new surroundings I do not want to ruin my weight loss that's happened so far.

I'm glad that most of Europe has banned gmo, so that's great that I will not have to worry about that anymore. Germany is well known for it's fattening food.

Anyone have personal experience on what to eat to not tip the scales overseas?

my aunt moved to Germany for a bit for her husbands job and they loved it
    also I remember her telling us her fridge was super small so she had to shop a lot and that means buying a lot of fresh veggies and fruit etc
    you'll be fine just buy your veggies and produce and cook every day
    also you tend to walk everywhere to travel around and see the sites so you will naturally get more exercise in

good luck!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of lean meats and other things here. Lots of veggies and fruits. Also dairy products. Get Magerquark, 60-70 calories per 100 gram and 12 grams of protein in it. Tastes like crap without putting some herbs and salt/pepper in it though. Or put some honey, milk and fruit in it and you got yourself high protein yoghurt. Or plain Schnitzel (not breaded). Or chicken. We got everything. Really good stuff to meet your protein goals. Fats and carbs shouldn't be a problem to meet with the thousands of kinds of cheese and bread and other stuff we've got here.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My dad was stationed in Zweibruecken from '85-'90 (that base closed in the 90s). It's been a minute since I've been over there, but here's my take:

1. The base you'll be on is a tiny island of America in a sea of Germany. On this island you will be able to find (almost) everything you found in the States. There will be familiar American food in the commissary and the restaurants on base. Easy to count calories and portion foods. No problem.

2. Off base, you may have a bit more difficulty. Figuring out how many calories are in your Gasthaus meal of wild game and spaetzle will be daunting at first. Take your German/English dictionary and translate any foods you don't recognize. Write down everything, with portion sizes estimated, and enter it later when you get home. Don't let weight loss goals come between you and some amazing German food, but don't go crazy either.

3. As other posters have said, walk and bike everywhere.

4. Do your best to learn the language. In my experience, Germans are extremely helpful and friendly, especially if they see you are trying your best to meet them on their terms.

Have fun! :drinker:
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never been been there so I can't give you any advice but I wanted to say I'm super jealous! My husband is German and I hope to visit one day!

We have a German like village where we live that my husband and I visit often.

I would love to bike back and forth to work and have access to all the things mentioned here!

Good luck and keep us posted. You should start a blog about the move!
  • Luvbeers
    Luvbeers Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been living in Austria for the last decade and I can tell you that yes the food is nice and fattening here, but it is not snack food they are meals and smaller portions generally (unless you eat at a restaurant that caters to tourists with large portions). I will give you some tips to follow:

1) Since hubby is in the military you will have access to the commissary shopping. Avoid this. Take advantage that you are not in the US for now and change your diet. The commissary is full of American snack food, condiments etc. Especially avoid things like butterball turkeys and stuffing around the holidays. You can get a local free range bird and make your own stuffing and gravy from scratch with so much less fat, salt and sugar. Someone mentioned mexican food. God I love mexican food, but you don't need to buy prepacked spices or tortillas you can make everything from scratch and it is so much better for you without the MSG and other additives. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/ and http://www.annies-eats.com/2014/05/05/corn-tortillas-from-scratch/ for example.

2) Find your local farmer's market and get an app like http://dict.leo.org/ and start learning the German words for things! Produce is very seasonal in Europe so you need to learn what dishes to make and what times of year. Anyway cook a lot of food from scratch there are no preservatives! And cut back on salt (use sea salt like Maldon instead of table salt it is a bit stronger so you can use less).

3) Get a bike with a basket (some cities have "citybikes" free for an hour from station to station) and a pair of running shoes and try not driving around all the time. There are MANY parties in the expat / military community so make sure you get in a lot exercise so you don't miss out at that BBQ beer bash or ball.

4) A lot of German bread is roggenmehl or black bread so it is easier to skip than big fluffy loaves of white bread everywhere. Try not to eat a lot of bread or pastries for breakfast.

5) Beer is pretty easy to count... Normal lager is about 200 cal per half liter 0,5l about 20 minutes of jogging. Try to fit in an hour of running in your day and you can down 3 beers at night!

6) Amazon.de is your friend but also your worst enemy you can get anything on there including food. Need to find something in English? Try ordering it from Amazon.co.uk
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The one thing you'll have in your favor is that most of Europe is more pedestrian/ bike friendly. The cultural norm will be to walk/ bike places....even daily walks to the grocery store. My advice (and what always works on vacations in Europe for me) is stay active and enjoy the food. Last time I was in Germany I spend 2-3 hours a day walking around the town and the hills around where my friend lives.

Very true. The food may be different, and when I lived there in the mid 90s, I remember a few meat products being advertised as "at least ___% fat", versus the tendency in the US to advertise how LEAN it is, but it's also a world more condusive to an active lifestyle. Not only is it possible to do more walking day-to-day because a lot of Europe was developed without cars in mind, but there are even activities like the volksmarches (think: organized hikes) that can give you an excuse to keep moving.

In the end, the rules of the game remain the same. Just make sure you're measuring your intake and expenditure and enjoy getting the chance to LIVE in another culture. It's much more fun than only getting to visit it while on vacation.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't know Germany very well but I've lived in many different parts of the world and there's no reason you can't eat pretty much like you do at home. European food is labeled with nutritional information -- slightly different than in the U.S., but actually easier to read and measure because everything is metric and done by 100 g. As for restaurants and the local fare, just be reasonable and eat in moderation. It's not like you're moving someplace so very different...you're even going to be on a U.S. military base...that's like not leaving the country at all. LOL
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    4. Do your best to learn the language. In my experience, Germans are extremely helpful and friendly, especially if they see you are trying your best to meet them on their terms.

That was my experience both in Germany and in Korea. They do seem to appreicate when you recognize you're in THEIR country and are trying to speak their language, rather than being the "ugly American" and expecting them to speak yours. Many of them also enjoy getting the opportunity to practice their english with a native english speaker.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was stationed in Stuttgart from 2000-2002 and absolutely loved it over there.

One thing that helped with all of the wonderful food over there was all of the walking that I did. Most things were within walking distance and I found that area to be very pedestrian friendly. Walk for exercise, get familiar with the area and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'll spend 1.5 months in Germany too (I'll spend two weeks in Bavaria) :D

Don't get stressed about food. Enjoy it and eat mindfully :D
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am from the Black Forest and just would like to point out that from there to Stuttgart 220kms, which I believe is about 140 miles. Of course on the Autobahn it is a quick 220 kms, but still worthwhile pointing out that Stuttgart and the Black Forest are not close.

Ah - here we see a cultural difference. I grew up in Michigan, in the American Midwest, in a town called Kalamazoo. It is about 220 km from Chicago, and I consider Chicago to be close to Kalamazoo. I now live in Massachusetts, about 1300 km from my home town. That is far. The guitarist Adrian Legg, who is English, once remarked at a concert that I attended that the difference between the US and the UK is that in the UK, 100 miles is a long distance, and in the US, 100 years is a long time.

OP: I lived in Berlin for a year, and have made a few trips back in self-catered apartments. In my experience, German supermarkets have excellent produce. But if you have smaller merchants nearby - greengrocers/vegetable stands, cheese shops, butcher shops, bakeries, etc. - you can get more personal service and higher quality goods.

ETA: Back in 1996, my wife and I drove from Chicago to San Francisco via I-90 to Spokane, then down to Portland OR and along the coast to SF. It was about 2750 miles, or 4400 km. We had to tell our French friends that it was like driving from Paris to Baku, Azerbaijan.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am from the Black Forest and just would like to point out that from there to Stuttgart 220kms, which I believe is about 140 miles. Of course on the Autobahn it is a quick 220 kms, but still worthwhile pointing out that Stuttgart and the Black Forest are not close.

Ah - here we see a cultural difference. I grew up in Michigan, in the American Midwest, in a town called Kalamazoo. It is about 220 km from Chicago, and I consider Chicago to be close to Kalamazoo. I now live in Massachusetts, about 1300 km from my home town. That is far. The guitarist Adrian Legg, who is English, once remarked at a concert that I attended that the difference between the US and the UK is that in the UK, 100 miles is a long distance, and in the US, 100 years is a long time.

OP: I lived in Berlin for a year, and have made a few trips back in self-catered apartments. In my experience, German supermarkets have excellent produce. But if you have smaller merchants nearby - greengrocers/vegetable stands, cheese shops, butcher shops, bakeries, etc. - you can get more personal service and higher quality goods.

ETA: Back in 1996, my wife and I drove from Chicago to San Francisco via I-90 to Spokane, then down to Portland OR and along the coast to SF. It was about 2750 miles, or 4400 km. We had to tell our French friends that it was like driving from Paris to Baku, Azerbaijan.

You are right in the US the distance from Kalamazoo to Chicago is not very far....but it is still too far to be able to see Chicago from Kalamazoo, which was the OP's point. ( re: being able to see the Black Forest from someone's window in Stuttgart ).....:o).
  • Auraonfire
    Auraonfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, from what it sounds like I should enjoy myself and make sure I exercise it off. Which given that my husband is so excited to show me where he grew up, he has plans to take me to so many castles and fests ect...I probably won't have much time to be still. :)

I do want to say Ty to the person who called me a typical American and said that it was embarrassing or whatever...because you have knit picked every little thing I have said

I have been warned by many people (and in my overseas military briefing!) about how rude Germans can and usually are to Americans but I refuse to accept that everyone is like that and I look forward to meeting new people there and learning more about my husbands family in Germany and my own heritage. :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I married a German and we've visited the in-laws several times over the years. Every time we went back to Germany, I ended up losing 3-5 pounds over 2 weeks. It was because we ate better and moved more. The food was delicious and healthy. Maybe part of it was that my in-laws are farmers and we ate everything fresh from scratch. We walked everywhere.

We typically ate a hearty breakfast with eggs, brot, sausage and good coffee. Lunch was the big meal of the day - admittedly it was meat and potatoes mostly. We stopped at 3pm for coffee and kuchen. Dinner was very light - usually brot with deli meat and cheese with a cup of tea. Then in the evening we enjoyed a couple bottles of beer or a couple glasses of red wine. I miss the amazing food they have - the fresh onion mettwurst, the cheeses, pork that actually tasted like pork, and the amazing tortes.

The stereotype that Germans are rude is false based on my experience. My husband's family and their neighbors are very kind. They may take a little time to warm up to you but they were never rude. But they live in NW Germany near the Dutch border where people are generally known to more stoic.
  • m_o_
    m_o_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lived there for a while during my High School Days. Worry not, the commissary is rather good. You can walk between Vilseck and Graf.. I actually found German's to be rather understanding but you know people are people; they vary between each other. I also lived in Frankfurt, Ansbach, (Katerbach)and a few other cities I can't remember how to spell. I loved walking around on cobblestone and the variety in food at markets. I miss the chocolate, the curry ketchup, and snitz. Total, I spent a sum of six years there. I miss the swimming complexes too.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in Germany right now and she decided that she really doesn't want to come home. This is a relatively picky teenager who said that the food is AMAZING. She doesn't miss American food at all. They walk a lot and went strawberry picking one morning. They had a dinner out with her host family and she said it was the fasted two hour dinner ever.

She also doesn't have her cell phone and is enjoying being mostly unplugged and paying attention to the experience.

Enjoy your time there and experience all that you can!
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been warned by many people (and in my overseas military briefing!) about how rude Germans can and usually are to Americans but I refuse to accept that everyone is like that and I look forward to meeting new people there and learning more about my husbands family in Germany and my own heritage. :)

I wouldn't say they're rude, it's just that Americans are so exceptionally friendly that we tend to misinterpret their behaviour as "rude." First, let me preface this by saying I'm an ESL teacher and have students from all over the world (although primarily from Asia and the Middle East). Almost *all* of them have told me, "Americans are SO friendly!" as if it's weird to them...because their cultures are not as overtly friendly. To give some examples, one Chinese student asked me "I was walking down the hallway and a stranger told me he liked my shoes...I didn't know him, why would he say that?" or "Why would someone I don't know smile and say 'hi' to me when we pass each other on the sidewalk?"

This is the kind of thing you won't see most Germans doing. I studied in Saxony (Dresden) for a summer and that was one of the biggest differences I noticed. People don't talk to you if you're sitting next to them on the bus, people don't make small-talk with strangers waiting at the tram stop, and if you pass someone on the sidewalk, it's pretty much as if you don't exist to each other. They're also generally "quieter" and will talk less to their friends on buses, in stores, etc...I got so used to the quiet, once I was home I got a couple headaches going to public places in the US because it was so LOUD! I'd also say they're more blunt and straight-forward.

That being said, when we needed help (we were lost, didn't know what food to order, etc.) most of the people were very friendly, and there were many Germans who welcomed American friends. It's just more difficult to approach them initially as we typically behave differently.