When do you log your food?

Options
I think if I start doing it 1st thing I would comply better than if I just chart what I ate at the end of the day, thoughts?

Replies

• chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I log it right before I eat whatever it is I'm eating....with the exception of breakfast: I log that when I get to work just because I'm always rushing to get out the door on time! I use the app on my phone so it's pretty convenient.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    On most days I eat the same thing in the morning and at lunch. The thing I found that works best for me is adding my night time snack first thing and changing my calorie count around to fit my snack. I find if I get my treat at night while my husban has his treat I dont feel like I'm on a diet at all.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i log breakfast and lunch after i eat and then plan dinner and my snacks around what i have left for the day. seems to be working for me and i can also then see what kind of exercise i am going to do that day(burning a lot of calories or not so many)
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    I use the app on my phone, so I typically do it throughout the day. Otherwise at night- I've been doing it for awhile, so I remember what I eat throughout the day. It also keeps me from overeating because I know I will have to remember what I ate! :)
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Before bed or a little after I get up I plan out my day here on the site. I find it easier to stick to it that way. It doesn't always work (things happen) but it seems to be helping.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Log breakfast and lunch the night before as well as my snacks and sometimes dinner, but generally I log dinner when I get home from work and start preparing the meal.
  • denise309
    Options
    I start it the night before to get a general idea of what I will eat...but then I sometimes change up meals, for instance last nite I had egg beaters asparagus laughing cow cheese for breakfast this am, but when I woke up I wanted peanut butter and jelly, so I did that on a sandwich thin with strawberry preserves, so I just edited what I had. I find that if I plan I stick to my calories better
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    i log breakfast and lunch after i eat and then plan dinner and my snacks around what i have left for the day. seems to be working for me and i can also then see what kind of exercise i am going to do that day(burning a lot of calories or not so many)

This is basically what I do. I like to log through out the day so I'm never surprised at the end of the day. I also plan my higher calorie dinners like today's on a heavy cardio day and lighter dinners on yoga and strength training days. I'm still working on keeping my saturated fats low though.
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    I always log my food in right after I eat it.
  • bryanbolick
    bryanbolick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been doing breakfast actually as I eat it, and lunch as soon as I get back to my desk at work. Dinner...well whenever I get ahold of my laptop afterwords. I'm really looking forward to the Blackberry app getting rolled out somewhat soon---all the Appleheads are lucky to have it already (along with a lot of other things lol).
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i log mine in advance. somedays the night before, if i already know what i will be eating. at the latest after breakfast. helps me stay on track for the day, if i already have it planned. not all days go as planned, therefore, i just delete what i didnt eat, add or change as needed. also i try to keep a 33 oz water bottle filled, so i constanly have it handy. i strive for over 100 oz a day tho.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I log my food as I am preparing it. That way I wont forget any ingredients.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I log right before or after I eat something.
  • pjames22
    Options
    I log mine the night before. That way I know what I am going to have the next day and already know how many calories. This is also helpful because I can add things that I already have in the house. Sometimes I stray from the plan, but not very often. I have only went over my calories once. Hope this is helpful.:smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I try to do it as I go. Today I forgot, but it was easy to remember what I ate because I didn't eat very much. :-/ I wasn't feeling well. But usually I enter it right after I eat, or while I'm cooking it.
  • misterpiano
    Options
    I use the iPhone app and it makes it easy to log in as I go through the day. I don't eat anything at work that I don't bring with me....my breakfast, my lunch, and my snacks. I log those in as soon as I can in the morning on my work computer. I log in water as I drink it throughout the day. I usually walk a few miles at lunchtime...then log that in too. This way I know what I have left for dinner. If we go out to eat I usually make my selections based on what fit into what I have left for the day. I log that in while waiting for my order.

I tried logging everything at the end of the day but it didn't work for me...I was usually over my budget or I couldn't remember something.

But that does not mean it will not work for you!

Also I tend to look up foods when I know what I have left to see what I might make for dinner. I am building a database of my own recipes to make it easier and less time consuming.

I also checked and noted the calories of things like donuts, cookies, etc that other people put out at work...I know what it "costs" me if I have one...it makes it so much easier to walk on by!

Good luck however you proceed. Remember, this is up to you. If something doesn't work, change it!
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It depends. I try to always log food right after I eat it, but sometimes, I will try logging things in advance for planning purposes, or to double check something and ensure that I am on track. Occasionally, though, I'll do it all at the end of the day if I had a busy day and didn't have a chance to enter things- this is not ideal, though. I find I tend to overeat or forget things if I wait till the end of the day.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I log mine every morning when i get to work while i have my breakfast. By that time i know what I'm cooking for dinner and I bring lunch to work as well as all my snacks.
  • nextstepsailing
    Options
    I do it as I go because the calories in many items may surprise you and at the end of the day Wam! This has happened more than once. This way, I do not have to plan my day and eating/tracking is kind of fun. I had a Carmel Machiato today. I wanted sugar and caffein in a moderate does. It was 160 calories. Off I went...
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I log mine in right away (while I'm eating it or just after I'm done). If I wait to do it, I'll forget everything. Plus, this way helps me to see where I'm at so I don't over eat.